Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
4/2/19 3:06 p.m.
feature_image

As we said in our first installment, our end goal on this project is to take on and beat a stock E30 M3 at the track all the while still maintaining a comfortable ride and staying within a reasonable budget. To meet our somewhat lofty goal, we would need to do some suspension modification without getting too wild in both …

Read the rest of the story

varg
varg New Reader
4/3/19 5:53 a.m.

Those Eibach springs are pretty soft, as in close to stock, are they not? Why not go with a stiffer spring and less roll bar? Interested to see what setting you wind up with on the Konis, I run those same shocks with a 450/650 spring setup on my DD, at close to stock ride height. Low is highly overrated on a street driven car. 

DocV
DocV Reader
4/3/19 8:46 a.m.

Low is very overrated with the M42's low slung oil pan.  Maybe look into a skid plate?  Have anecdotally seen many a M42 destroyed on the internet by potholes and cracks in oil pans.  

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
4/7/19 9:18 a.m.

We just ran the car at full course at VIR and turned a 2:24. Other than the car being a bit loose at the rear, which we can easily fix, we are very happy with the way the car turned out. 

Our intention is to drive it every day and while our roads are smooth here, and the car is quite comfortable on the street, I would not want it to ride any rougher, for daily use. Other than playing around with rear bar and shock settings, I think we have this baby right where we want her.

varg
varg New Reader
4/7/19 12:20 p.m.

In reply to Tim Suddard :

The variety in suspension setups people run on street driven E30s shows how subjective comfort is. I find my firmly sprung and well damped E30 with solid UHMW bushings perfectly comfortable for a drive across the state, someone else may find it unbearably stiff. Roads are pretty good where I live, I do notice the occasional poor leveling and paving job because my car follows the road surface more than softly sprung stock cars do, but feeling variations in road surface is more tolerable to me than the underdamped ride of my Wife's '18 Corolla or the wallowy mess that was a recently rented brand new Jeep Compass. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CpI18BD1pirilEjx0SR8Bg35iL5PFJ6bWEEUG9m3lcEeNubzDXfLxQN25gyZUBrj