David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/24/20 11:52 a.m.
feature_image

Our 2004 BMW M3 now had wheels—lightweight, strong forged alloys from Titan 7.

Now we needed to wrap them with something. Ideally something sticky. And black. And round. 

Our tire size was easy: 265/35R18 all around, a known quantity for this chassis. And it’s a fairly popular size, too, with Tire Rack offering 49 difference choices. 

Now to zero …

Read the rest of the story

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
6/24/20 1:29 p.m.

Huh, didn’t know about these. Glad there are more options in the less than “goes to 11” street performance tire range.

Let us know how you feel about them.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
6/24/20 1:51 p.m.

Great thread! I have been running Yokos since 2006, 

Started with Yoko AD07, then Yoko AD08.

Then moved to Yoko A048.

I am putting about 12,000 miles a year on various cars with these tires.

I have 2 sets of Yoko A052 in the stable that I just added, and love them to death.

The AD08R recently on my grocery getter beater has been a special favorite of mine in recent time. 

I haven't been able to try the ADVAN Apex V601 that you went with, due to size constraints. 

David S. Wallens
6/25/20 4:27 p.m.

In reply to CyberEric :

Happy to share something new with our crew.

Look for a video feature on these tires really soon. I'll share the link once it goes live. 

lvm3sm46
lvm3sm46
1/29/22 9:59 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Do you have any updates with this tire on the M3?

MrFancypants
MrFancypants HalfDork
1/30/22 10:50 a.m.

I have these on my GTI.  They're probably the most direct steering tire I've ever used, even compared to 200 tw tires. The responsiveness is unreal.  Extra smoothness is required with the steering wheel because even the smallest of motions get a response, even mid corner.  Grip level is high and almost certainly more than you'll ever want or need out of a street tire.  Wet weather impressions are positive, they aren't sketchy or extra prone to hydro-planing.  I haven't had them on track but I imagine they'd hold up just as well as anything in it's performance range.  Noise level is in line with other performance tires.

My only complaint is that the ride quality kinda sucks, but it's a cheap performance tire so that's the compromise you're making.  I also find that on certain stretches of freeway around where I live they cause an odd vibration throughout my car where other tires have not.  It feels like the tires are poorly balanced, but it happens consistently on certain stretches of road and are fine elsewhere.

Overall I'm happy for the price, but if ride quality is of concern to you it may be worth spending a few extra pennies on Michelins.

David S. Wallens
1/31/22 10:43 a.m.
lvm3sm46 said:

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Do you have any updates with this tire on the M3?

Still happy. It's like a more civil 200tw. You trade a little crispness (and speed) but it's a very good fit for a daily. 

fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
2/1/22 11:09 a.m.

Was heavily considering those for my Solstice that's a fair weather daily that might see a track day or 2 a year and vigorous mountain driving, sounds like it'll be a good choice.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
H8rxmlLYSosNt4kEx2SXQuTegh2rlaDMNUFnIBD9WX4F1CSZSZlQgGRNQS3FBqSd