Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
2/12/20 1:20 p.m.
feature_image

After wanting more than our  Super Van could offer, we scooped up this V10 Ford F-250 for the dirt-cheap sum of $3300. Why so cheap? Yeah, we were patient and jumped on a great deal, but the truck also had its fair share of issues. Individually none of them were a big deal, but combined they lowered its price and its utility. 

Before …

Read the rest of the story

Tom Suddard
2/12/20 2:52 p.m.

And OMG, I'll never have a roadtrip vehicle without CarPlay again!

buzzboy
buzzboy HalfDork
2/12/20 5:06 p.m.

Ooh, manual V10 4x4. Very nice tow pig.

I never realized F150 and Super Duty tailgates would be the same that generation. I figured everything would be bigger on the Super Duty.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/12/20 5:08 p.m.

Never heard of CarPlay (as I'm not an Apple guy) but I can imagine its useful as hell.  Wonder if there's some sort of Android equivalent

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/12/20 5:10 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

Never heard of CarPlay (as I'm not an Apple guy) but I can imagine its useful as hell.  Wonder if there's some sort of Android equivalent

Android Auto

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/12/20 5:12 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Awesome, I've been looking for an excuse to upgrade my headunit and speakers again.  Thanks.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
2/12/20 6:26 p.m.

What is it with people bodging up trailer wiring???   It's easier to do it right!

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/12/20 6:47 p.m.

I wish this would have been posted like 2 weeks ago. My Ford's faded silver shell also was missing keys. I replaced both handles for $25. That Lost a Key link would have saved me like $15! Because this is clearly GRM's fault, expect an invoice soon.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
2/12/20 8:27 p.m.

OR plates in FL?

Tom Suddard
2/12/20 9:58 p.m.

Florida doesn't have front plates, so it took me a few weeks to pull the Oregon plate off the front bumper. 

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela HalfDork
2/13/20 6:13 a.m.

Nice Mercedes at the gas station. And holy hell the wheels that were on the truck when Tom bought it were the absolute worst. I'll never forget pulling alongside him just to hear the ungodly cacophony those tires made. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/13/20 6:39 a.m.

When I bought my '06 F-250, "The Gov't Mule", at auction it only came with one ignition key.  It was a really worn down key so I made the decision that I would spend the big bucks on a key and go to the dealership and have them cut a really good key from the VIN.  I expected this could be $35 for just one key.  As it turns out, the counter guy told me either 2006 was the last year that these Ford Truck keys had no resistor chip or that maybe it was the last year that fleets could order the trucks w/o resistors.  Either way, for me, a real Ford Key, cut at the real Ford Parts Counter, was just $3.50 each (so I got two.)  

Torqued
Torqued New Reader
2/14/20 4:26 p.m.

Question: did you reinforce the topper shell around where you installed the eye-bolt?  I remove the topper on my 2001 F250  every spring and put it back in the fall the old fashioned way by borrowing muscle from friends because the shell flexed when I started to try to lift it with a hydraulic ram and I was afraid that I would poke a hole right through it.  The top is really heavy and two people alone can barely manage it. And it is also a little dangerous that way too.

Torqued
Torqued New Reader
2/14/20 4:28 p.m.

Question: did you reinforce the topper shell around where you installed the eye-bolt?  I remove the topper on my 2001 F250  every spring and put it back in the fall the old fashioned way by borrowing muscle from friends because the shell flexed when I started to try to lift it with a hydraulic ram and I was afraid that I would poke a hole right through it.  The top is really heavy and two people alone can barely manage it. And it is also a little dangerous that way too.

Tom Suddard
2/14/20 4:43 p.m.

I didn't reinforce the shell, but I did use a 1/4" steel 4" diameter fender washer to spread the load. It flexes a bit, but doesn't seem to mind. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZxdH05aFScR1zKbHQLIBZ9qqeShqNYCiThlEk8qA8SIxuxH4PkoWT37nbL9bscem