1 2
Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
6/27/12 9:06 a.m.

Yeah, it looked goofy with those wheels on the stock ride height. These coil-overs let us totally slam the car and add a full four degrees of camber if we want.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/project-cars/2012-ford-fiesta/-grade-coil-overs-our-b-spec-fiesta/

Jaynen
Jaynen Reader
6/27/12 9:41 a.m.

Were these from the B-spec kit or something else

Alan Cesar
6/27/12 10:32 a.m.
the project update wrote: We replaced the stock springs and shocks with Ford Racing’s B-Spec suspension kit, which includes four adjustable coil-overs and a full set of instructions for installation. The new coil-overs have much stiffer springs and dampers, which should make our Fiesta handle better. They also allow us to easily adjust the car’s ride height.

JThw8
JThw8 UberDork
6/27/12 11:02 a.m.

Still not in love with the wheels but it does look better lower

alex
alex UltraDork
6/27/12 11:05 a.m.

This is a really enticing project. I can see myself following this recipe in the near future (though maybe not going the full B-Spec route).

Jaynen
Jaynen Reader
6/27/12 11:48 a.m.
Alan Cesar wrote:
the project update wrote: We replaced the stock springs and shocks with Ford Racing’s B-Spec suspension kit, which includes four adjustable coil-overs and a full set of instructions for installation. The new coil-overs have much stiffer springs and dampers, which should make our Fiesta handle better. They also allow us to easily adjust the car’s ride height.

I thought the car and driver article I read said something about B spec rules being for non adjustable suspension?

Alan Cesar
6/27/12 12:16 p.m.

In reply to Jaynen:

Non-adjustable shocks. Ride height can be adjusted.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
6/27/12 12:30 p.m.

Adding to Alan's comment: As long as the ground clearance is a minimum of 5" at the pinchweld on the rockers...

Jaynen
Jaynen Reader
6/27/12 12:49 p.m.

Yeah when I read "which includes four adjustable coil-overs" I think of something besides just ride height

"The competitor supplied kits needs to be comprised of the following: • Any non-adjustable shock absorber intended for the specific make model and year car is allowed. The shock absorber must be installed in the original mounting locations. Remote shocks are not permitted. Threaded shock bodies or adjusters may be used. • Any spring up to a maximum spring rate of 500 pounds may be used."

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
6/27/12 12:58 p.m.

In reply to Jaynen:

So you assume that the commercially available, approved, B-Spec kit from the company who makes the car is not legal? That's interesting.

Jaynen
Jaynen Reader
6/27/12 1:14 p.m.

No I am assuming that the ford racing parts list says nothing about calling them adjustable coil overs because they are not to comply with the rules

Ford Racing partnered with Eibach suspension to develop a race coilover kit for the Ford Fiesta B-Spec race car. These dampers are produced in-house by Eibach at their new state of the art facility. Fits 2011-2012 Fiesta Front: Includes 450 lbs/in Eibach springs, helper springs and uniquely tuned race coil overs (46 mm monotube) Rear: Includes 500 lbs/in Eibach springs, helper springs and uniquely tuned race coil overs (46 mm monotube) Approved for SCCA and Grand-Am B-Spec class

So I am merely clarifying that the statement above calling them Ford Racing Adjustable Coil overs is misleading because in order to be B spec compliant they are in fact not adjustable :P

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
6/27/12 1:20 p.m.

Hmm. Looks good like that.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
6/27/12 2:05 p.m.

In reply to Jaynen:

Uh, you can change ride height. That does seem adjustable. I don't see a claim that the shocks are adjustable. And adjustable coil over does imply to me that the coil part is adjustable.

I'm missing where you have a problem. But that's ok.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
6/27/12 2:10 p.m.

really dislike the wheels, but that looks good lowered.

ST_ZX2
ST_ZX2 HalfDork
6/27/12 2:12 p.m.

How 'streetable' is the FR setup at 450/500 springs?

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
6/27/12 2:30 p.m.

I drove the car as it sits up to Jacksonville over Father's Day weekend. ( about 170 miles round trip)

It's a bit bouncy and firm, but it doesn't beat you up too badly. With the wheels, slammed ride height, and GRM sticker plastered sideways on the rear window (who did that anyways?) it very much feels and looks like a high-schooler's car. This isn't entirely bad, as it does make the car feel more lively and raw. Well the sticker doesn't help the ride, but it gives mad street cred yo!

I wouldn't want to deal with this ride-height and firmness for a daily, but it won't kill you on the street, especially if you have a tolerance for stiffly sprung machines.

dculberson
dculberson Dork
6/27/12 2:42 p.m.

"Adjustable Coil Overs" can be taken two different ways. Since Alan clarified which way it was meant there shouldn't be any confusion.

Ian F
Ian F UberDork
6/27/12 2:55 p.m.

Umm... what's up with machining the top hat? Did you guys get a pre-production version?

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UltraDork
6/27/12 2:56 p.m.

Do these work on the Mazda2? Or would you even want to do that given the different weights of the two cars and likely slightly different weight distribution?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
6/27/12 3:14 p.m.

How is the front camber curve once you dump it that far?

It looks good (as good as a Fiesta can anyway)

Jaynen
Jaynen Reader
6/27/12 3:15 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: In reply to Jaynen: Uh, you can change ride height. That does seem adjustable. I don't see a claim that the shocks are adjustable. And adjustable coil over does imply to me that the coil part is adjustable. I'm missing where you have a problem. But that's ok.

I don't have a problem I was just wanting to clarify which it was, which is fine and all dandy

I know the Mazda 2 has its own kit

http://www.mazdamotorsports.com/wcsstore/B2BDirect/Motorsports/pdfs/contingency/Mazda2_B-spec_flier11.pdf

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UltraDork
6/27/12 4:15 p.m.

In reply to Jaynen:

Hrm, looks more complete... and it's Bilstein struts instead of Eibachs... but it's also another $1k.

Wonder how it acts on the street.

Alan Cesar
6/27/12 5:14 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: I drove the car as it sits up to Jacksonville over Father's Day weekend. ( about 170 miles round trip) It's a bit bouncy and firm, but it doesn't beat you up too badly. With the wheels, slammed ride height, and GRM sticker plastered sideways on the rear window (who did that anyways?) it very much feels and looks like a high-schooler's car. This isn't entirely bad, as it does make the car feel more lively and raw. Well the sticker doesn't help the ride, but it gives mad street cred yo! I wouldn't want to deal with this ride-height and firmness for a daily, but it won't kill you on the street, especially if you have a tolerance for stiffly sprung machines.

I call it totally livable, though aggressive, daily driver... on Florida roads. Roads are very smooth down here. If I were bashing over the potholes in the Chicago 'burbs, this car would be miserable. My girlfriend doesn't mind the ride, though railroad tracks do a number on her upper torso.

Others in the office think it's waaay too stiff for street driving. David talks about going over a set of railroad tracks and seeing his luggage in the rear-view mirror.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
6/27/12 6:10 p.m.

I like the wheels now that it is lowered.

Jaynen
Jaynen Reader
6/27/12 6:24 p.m.

Must be like my old SVT focus. Ground control coil over kit, custom valved konis 600lb rear springs 550 front springs. I thought it rode stiff but fine in san diego. Then I moved to LA. Every bad expansion joint in the highway would launch you out of the drivers seat a good couple inches. Car was planted passengers, especially in the back were not.

I am in the "I like the wheels now" camp

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ryEUcEAF2PnW3KFnTOWeY7UfPxMWr3nCMQi9I8VNlHgmq5iklEP0jLhg958PRdpl