Alan Cesar Associate Editor
June 27, 2012 9:06 a.m.

Yeah, it looked goofy with those wheels on the stock ride height. These coil-overs let us totally slam the car and add a full four degrees of camber if we want.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/project-cars/2012-ford-fiesta/-grade-coil-overs-our-b-spec-fiesta/

Jaynen Reader
June 27, 2012 9:41 a.m.

Were these from the B-spec kit or something else

June 27, 2012 10:32 a.m.
the project update wrote: We replaced the stock springs and shocks with Ford Racing’s B-Spec suspension kit, which includes four adjustable coil-overs and a full set of instructions for installation. The new coil-overs have much stiffer springs and dampers, which should make our Fiesta handle better. They also allow us to easily adjust the car’s ride height.

JThw8 UberDork
June 27, 2012 11:02 a.m.

Still not in love with the wheels but it does look better lower

alex UltraDork
June 27, 2012 11:05 a.m.

This is a really enticing project. I can see myself following this recipe in the near future (though maybe not going the full B-Spec route).

Jaynen Reader
June 27, 2012 11:48 a.m.
Alan Cesar wrote:
the project update wrote: We replaced the stock springs and shocks with Ford Racing’s B-Spec suspension kit, which includes four adjustable coil-overs and a full set of instructions for installation. The new coil-overs have much stiffer springs and dampers, which should make our Fiesta handle better. They also allow us to easily adjust the car’s ride height.

I thought the car and driver article I read said something about B spec rules being for non adjustable suspension?

June 27, 2012 12:16 p.m.

In reply to Jaynen:

Non-adjustable shocks. Ride height can be adjusted.

Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
June 27, 2012 12:30 p.m.

Adding to Alan's comment: As long as the ground clearance is a minimum of 5" at the pinchweld on the rockers...

Jaynen Reader
June 27, 2012 12:49 p.m.

Yeah when I read "which includes four adjustable coil-overs" I think of something besides just ride height

"The competitor supplied kits needs to be comprised of the following: • Any non-adjustable shock absorber intended for the specific make model and year car is allowed. The shock absorber must be installed in the original mounting locations. Remote shocks are not permitted. Threaded shock bodies or adjusters may be used. • Any spring up to a maximum spring rate of 500 pounds may be used."

alfadriver PowerDork
June 27, 2012 12:58 p.m.

In reply to Jaynen:

So you assume that the commercially available, approved, B-Spec kit from the company who makes the car is not legal? That's interesting.

Jaynen Reader
June 27, 2012 1:14 p.m.

No I am assuming that the ford racing parts list says nothing about calling them adjustable coil overs because they are not to comply with the rules

Ford Racing partnered with Eibach suspension to develop a race coilover kit for the Ford Fiesta B-Spec race car. These dampers are produced in-house by Eibach at their new state of the art facility. Fits 2011-2012 Fiesta Front: Includes 450 lbs/in Eibach springs, helper springs and uniquely tuned race coil overs (46 mm monotube) Rear: Includes 500 lbs/in Eibach springs, helper springs and uniquely tuned race coil overs (46 mm monotube) Approved for SCCA and Grand-Am B-Spec class

So I am merely clarifying that the statement above calling them Ford Racing Adjustable Coil overs is misleading because in order to be B spec compliant they are in fact not adjustable :P

N Sperlo PowerDork
June 27, 2012 1:20 p.m.

Hmm. Looks good like that.

alfadriver PowerDork
June 27, 2012 2:05 p.m.

In reply to Jaynen:

Uh, you can change ride height. That does seem adjustable. I don't see a claim that the shocks are adjustable. And adjustable coil over does imply to me that the coil part is adjustable.

I'm missing where you have a problem. But that's ok.

Bobzilla SuperDork
June 27, 2012 2:10 p.m.

really dislike the wheels, but that looks good lowered.

ST_ZX2 HalfDork
June 27, 2012 2:12 p.m.

How 'streetable' is the FR setup at 450/500 springs?

Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
June 27, 2012 2:30 p.m.

I drove the car as it sits up to Jacksonville over Father's Day weekend. ( about 170 miles round trip)

It's a bit bouncy and firm, but it doesn't beat you up too badly. With the wheels, slammed ride height, and GRM sticker plastered sideways on the rear window (who did that anyways?) it very much feels and looks like a high-schooler's car. This isn't entirely bad, as it does make the car feel more lively and raw. Well the sticker doesn't help the ride, but it gives mad street cred yo!

I wouldn't want to deal with this ride-height and firmness for a daily, but it won't kill you on the street, especially if you have a tolerance for stiffly sprung machines.

dculberson Dork
June 27, 2012 2:42 p.m.

"Adjustable Coil Overs" can be taken two different ways. Since Alan clarified which way it was meant there shouldn't be any confusion.

Ian F UberDork
June 27, 2012 2:55 p.m.

Umm... what's up with machining the top hat? Did you guys get a pre-production version?

ReverendDexter UltraDork
June 27, 2012 2:56 p.m.

Do these work on the Mazda2? Or would you even want to do that given the different weights of the two cars and likely slightly different weight distribution?

ProDarwin SuperDork
June 27, 2012 3:14 p.m.

How is the front camber curve once you dump it that far?

It looks good (as good as a Fiesta can anyway)

Jaynen Reader
June 27, 2012 3:15 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: In reply to Jaynen: Uh, you can change ride height. That does seem adjustable. I don't see a claim that the shocks are adjustable. And adjustable coil over does imply to me that the coil part is adjustable. I'm missing where you have a problem. But that's ok.

I don't have a problem I was just wanting to clarify which it was, which is fine and all dandy

I know the Mazda 2 has its own kit

http://www.mazdamotorsports.com/wcsstore/B2BDirect/Motorsports/pdfs/contingency/Mazda2_B-spec_flier11.pdf

ReverendDexter UltraDork
June 27, 2012 4:15 p.m.

In reply to Jaynen:

Hrm, looks more complete... and it's Bilstein struts instead of Eibachs... but it's also another $1k.

Wonder how it acts on the street.

June 27, 2012 5:14 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: I drove the car as it sits up to Jacksonville over Father's Day weekend. ( about 170 miles round trip) It's a bit bouncy and firm, but it doesn't beat you up too badly. With the wheels, slammed ride height, and GRM sticker plastered sideways on the rear window (who did that anyways?) it very much feels and looks like a high-schooler's car. This isn't entirely bad, as it does make the car feel more lively and raw. Well the sticker doesn't help the ride, but it gives mad street cred yo! I wouldn't want to deal with this ride-height and firmness for a daily, but it won't kill you on the street, especially if you have a tolerance for stiffly sprung machines.

I call it totally livable, though aggressive, daily driver... on Florida roads. Roads are very smooth down here. If I were bashing over the potholes in the Chicago 'burbs, this car would be miserable. My girlfriend doesn't mind the ride, though railroad tracks do a number on her upper torso.

Others in the office think it's waaay too stiff for street driving. David talks about going over a set of railroad tracks and seeing his luggage in the rear-view mirror.

93EXCivic UltimaDork
June 27, 2012 6:10 p.m.

I like the wheels now that it is lowered.

Jaynen Reader
June 27, 2012 6:24 p.m.

Must be like my old SVT focus. Ground control coil over kit, custom valved konis 600lb rear springs 550 front springs. I thought it rode stiff but fine in san diego. Then I moved to LA. Every bad expansion joint in the highway would launch you out of the drivers seat a good couple inches. Car was planted passengers, especially in the back were not.

I am in the "I like the wheels now" camp

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Your Projects: Hopping Up a Miata With a Scrapyard Supercharger

1 hour ago in News

Meet Jack Heideman and his Miata, soon with boost.

Rapid Transit BMW: Meet an Early 5-Series With a V8 Swap

2 hours ago in Articles

Killing a Butterfly With a Sledgehammer

You Need This: Porsche 928 With Massive Flares

3 hours ago in News

V8 power and massive fender flares.

Millennial Falcon: Meet Calvin Nelson and His Studebaker Racer

14 hours ago in Articles

The second generation of GRM $2000 Challengers arrives to win.

Grassroots Motorsports LIVE! on Wednesday: Peek Under the Hood of a Front-Running Mazda MX-5 Cup Car

1 day ago in News

Want a special in-depth look at a Mazda Global MX-5 Cup car?

You Need This: Vintage JDM BMW

1 day ago in News

We're sticking with the engine swaps theme for our classifieds spotlight this week.

Mark Your Calendars: August 18 Is Wear Your Helmet to Work Day

1 day ago in News

Wear your racing gear to work and win prizes.

Your Projects: Homemade Lancer Evo

2 days ago in News

Can't import a Mitsubishi Lancer Evo III? This forum member just built his own replacement.

You Need This: SEMA Show CRZ

2 days ago in News

If green paint and big speakers are your thing, you've come to the right place.

Deal of the Month: Christmas in July!

2 days ago in News

Get a year of our magazine for just $10.

Tech Tips: 2006–’15 Mazda MX-5

3 days ago in Articles

We asked a couple experts for the best way to upgrade the NC MX-5.

Project Turbo Miata: Hitting the Dyno With a Fresh Engine

3 days ago in Project Cars

After getting a new engine, our turbo Miata project rolled onto the dyno.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
Y1mJywIQW2GVVSsDw5loDF2o9FeEwmYD