JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/12/20 7:58 a.m.
feature_image

It feels awkward referring to our 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo as an “older” car. After all, we still remember it winning our Editors’ Choice award as the best new car back when it came out. That we dove that first mid-engined turbo Toyota nearly 30 years ago seems fairly absurd, yet here we are.

And here we also are: Our car …

Read the rest of the story

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/12/20 8:47 a.m.

Always loved these, pain about the staggered setup and restrictions in fitting wheels/tires, but quick question:

"When our wheels arrived, we first mounted them on the car without tires to confirm fit. (Konig will not accept returns once the wheels have been mounted.)"

Did you mean once the tires have been mounted on the wheels Konig will no longer accept returns?

Tyler H (Forum Supporter)
Tyler H (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/12/20 9:14 a.m.

Looks good!

JG Pasterjak
8/12/20 9:17 a.m.
z31maniac said:

Always loved these, pain about the staggered setup and restrictions in fitting wheels/tires, but quick question:

"When our wheels arrived, we first mounted them on the car without tires to confirm fit. (Konig will not accept returns once the wheels have been mounted.)"

Did you mean once the tires have been mounted on the wheels Konig will no longer accept returns?

Yeah, to clarify, once they've had tires mounted on them they're yours.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
8/12/20 9:28 a.m.

Due to tire problems, I have been running 195/50/15 and 225/45/15 Hankook RS-4 in place of OEM 195/55/15  - 225/50/15 . I refuse to put 17s on my MR2 .To each their own.

However, finally there is a perfect OEM size tire, and I ordered 2 sets for both my MR2. Advan a052, in OEM 15inch sizes. Cost me $800 for a set. 200 TW, which is way more than the 80/100 TW I DD on my Elise with.

JG Pasterjak
8/12/20 9:51 a.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

. I refuse to put 17s on my MR2 .To each their own.

Totally defensible position. I REALLY wanted 15s, but just couldn't make all the moving parts of the equation work together between widths and styles and tire classes and whatnot. A set of the most period-appropriate 17s seemed to be a reasonable compromise, and will likely be pretty future-proof.

Benswen
Benswen New Reader
8/12/20 2:33 p.m.

I'm on the hunt for some new wheels for my '91 MR2.  I like your new setup, I just prefer the look of smaller diameter wheels with a bit more meat on the tires.  Currently running 15x7's all around with 195/55 front and 205/55 rear Kuhmo's.

Love the style of these Konig wheels, I just with you could get them in 16x7 and 17x8.

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass New Reader
8/15/20 8:31 a.m.

Have a 91 turbo as well

Came from PO with 14" stockers

I picked up a set of the 15" 93+ wheels off CL, and love them (I had a 93 turbo years ago)

But there is such a limited amount of tires for these cars, and I find that many cost more than a 17" of similar variety, that IM looking for a set of wheels in 17 for the car. Something simple, timeless. Something that looks, almost, factory. A set of SSR integrals would fit the bill perfectly, as they are similar to the 98-99 wheels on the SW20

slantsix
slantsix Reader
8/15/20 2:05 p.m.

Good information there. Especially on the fender roller considerations.

Thanks.

Greg

BryanH
BryanH
8/17/20 9:43 p.m.

A worthwhile upgrade from the Derpmeisters!  

I'd love to see an SW20 on wide 15" wheels with the A052s.  I put the 205/50-15, 225/50-15 Yokohamas on my '93 Turbo's stock sized wheels (15x6, 15x7) and they're balloons.  I think this tire combo might look pretty amazing on something more similar in width to the new hotness pictured in this article.  

JohnFBZ
JohnFBZ GRM+ Memberand None
8/18/20 2:41 p.m.

Sadly, 15 inch tire sizes appear to be going away, especially in the more normal tire types (not 200 TW or track tires). I do think they look the best on the SW20 MR2.

These are 15x7.5 +37 Rota Slipstreams I had kicking around. The fronts have a 12 mm spacer, the rears have no spacer. I'm thinking that coilovers up front with camber plates instead of bolts would allow me to get rid of the wheel spacer. In the rear, there's plenty of room to the strut that adding another half an inch of wheel inboard would be really easy.

Another long-term risky wheel size would be the 16 inch wheel. I recall at last year's Nats the yellow STS SW20 was running Volks or SSRs in 16 inch on Yokos, but even then, the tires look like drag radials. I was eyeballing getting the Spoon SW388 (the original design which "inspired" the Rota Slipstreams) in 16x7.5 (STS size). However, I'm not particularly keen on buying 4K worth of wheels from Japan... 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/18/20 2:49 p.m.

To see an SW20 on 16s, check out this Instagram account. 

SlowMoe
SlowMoe
2/10/23 6:06 p.m.

I'm interested in getting some new wheels for my '91 Turbo as well with similar specs. My question, however, is if more strut clearance is offered through coilovers? 

The specs on the rear wheels that I'm interested in are 17x9.5 +40, 2mm more offset than the one's in this post. Do you think this will pose an issue when it comes to strut/coilover clearance? 

Best,

SlowMoe

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3VpSJpDNcoWKd0COIL2bqVUPrJKaqVGBH0XPYLePV2bg4UZU8RxnpsPqRFQlarV5