1 2
Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/15/16 11:15 a.m.

The guys that started running these in FS said you wanted the 3.31 gears and the Brembos. You needed the lower rear end gearing to get the most out of second gear and the Brembo package gave you wider wheels.

You can always use more power.

For autocrossing I heard the front end control arms give up pretty quickly and the clutch pack rear end wears out quick with Hoosiers and pro solo events.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/15/16 11:34 a.m.

^Yeah, Terry Fair wrote about that a bunch.

Tom_Spangler wrote:
mapper wrote: At my first autocross with mine it seemed like anything more than 1/4 throttle broke the rear tires loose. I like the brakes that came with the PP but the 3.73s might get changed out in the future. I'll be interested in seeing how the 3.55s work for GRM.
The good news is that the Brembo package was available separately from the Performance package, at least on the 11-12 cars, so you can still find one with Brembos and a reasonable rear axle ratio.

From '13 on (including this year) only way to get the Brembos is part of the Performance Pack. Separately the Brembo's are an $1800 hit on the Ford Perfomance Parts web page, I believe, so it makes since to get the PP then change to whatever ratio you want.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/15/16 12:04 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: ^Yeah, Terry Fair wrote about that a bunch.
Tom_Spangler wrote:
mapper wrote: At my first autocross with mine it seemed like anything more than 1/4 throttle broke the rear tires loose. I like the brakes that came with the PP but the 3.73s might get changed out in the future. I'll be interested in seeing how the 3.55s work for GRM.
The good news is that the Brembo package was available separately from the Performance package, at least on the 11-12 cars, so you can still find one with Brembos and a reasonable rear axle ratio.
From '13 on (including this year) only way to get the Brembos is part of the Performance Pack. Separately the Brembo's are an $1800 hit on the Ford Perfomance Parts web page, I believe, so it makes since to get the PP then change to whatever ratio you want.

Or get an 11-12 with just the Brembos and a good axle to start with, and as a bonus, you have a better-looking car.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
4/15/16 12:11 p.m.
Harvey wrote: The guys that started running these in FS said you wanted the 3.31 gears and the Brembos. You needed the lower rear end gearing to get the most out of second gear and the Brembo package gave you wider wheels. You can always use more power. For autocrossing I heard the front end control arms give up pretty quickly and the clutch pack rear end wears out quick with Hoosiers and pro solo events.

For an autocross-only car the 3.31s may be the way to go. It's certainly a debatable point and I wouldn't fault anyone for doing a 3.31 AX setup. As we're going got be doing some Optima events, though, we need to have reasonable track gearing, and I don't like the idea of going limp in 4th gear with 3.31s. We may supercharge at some point or do some big power adder, but for now I think the 3.55s and a few hundred more rpm if we need it should suffice on the autocross course as well.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
4/19/16 4:08 p.m.

I have a 2013 convertible and they only came with the 3.31. I did an autocross and tired it in 1st gear only, first with a quick shift to second and launching in second. didn't seem to matter much. mostly slow and medium speed sections.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WGHGwFTBW9BoCgzOvo1RTCEYDm1O300H2ZLrBTG2NWg8OAntmpRLtlA6nilJu4gT