Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
5/21/12 3:37 p.m.

It's not often those words come together in one sentence, but sure enough, David was able to release some horses from his Porsche by disconnecting just one wire. No word on whether it also builds muscle and whitens teeth.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/project-cars/1984-porsche-911-carrera/free-porsche-horsepower/

Javelin
Javelin UltimaDork
5/21/12 3:40 p.m.

Wow, that is interesting. That one definitely needs a back-to-back dyno test...

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
5/21/12 6:19 p.m.

To the Dynocave, Dynoman!

Seriously, though..that would be really cool if it's true. And I wonder how many other early EFI cars have something similar in their own chips.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/21/12 6:19 p.m.

We'll definitely be dyno testing this one.

Keith
Keith MegaDork
5/21/12 6:47 p.m.

I'm gonna go out to my BMW and start cutting wires to see when it gets faster. I'll let you know.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger SuperDork
5/21/12 6:59 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote: To the Dynocave, Dynoman! Seriously, though..that would be really cool if it's true. And I wonder how many other early EFI cars have something similar in their own chips.

I know that 85 GTI\GLI's had a similar trick. Clip the wire at the knock sensor computer that bridges pins 3 and 11 and it changes the ignition map. It gives 2hp, 5ft/lbs and another 300RPM on the limiter.

Woody
Woody UltimaDork
5/21/12 7:16 p.m.

Ordinarily, free internet horsepower needs to be taken with a grain of salt, but if anyone knows Porsche DMEs it's Steve Wong.

I've never heard of this before, but I'll tuck this little bit of info into a dusty corner of my brain for when the next 911 rolls into my life.

Keith
Keith MegaDork
5/21/12 7:19 p.m.

Since it affects the timing, I vote we call this the "retard wire".

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
5/21/12 7:46 p.m.

This thread needs more upvotes on David's message saying he's actually taking the thing to the dyno. Isn't this kind of stuff supposed to be what the magazine is all about?

Racer1ab
Racer1ab Reader
5/21/12 8:04 p.m.
Woody wrote: I've never heard of this before, but I'll tuck this little bit of info into a dusty corner of my brain for when the next 911 rolls into my life.

Me too, but mine's probably a bit further off. Thank goodness for that new Porsche Forza pack!

Raze
Raze SuperDork
5/21/12 8:30 p.m.

Too bad you can't just data log an ignition wire advance before/after, that'd tell you pretty quick...

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn Dork
5/21/12 8:48 p.m.

Later model mercedes 560sl have a similar wire which controls the ignition timing. I guess you pull a resistor and it supposedly increases power but you also have to run premium gas afterward. Maybe it was a resistor to the knock sensor or something, hell if I know.

Good luck with it!

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UltraDork
5/21/12 8:48 p.m.
Keith wrote: Since it affects the timing, I vote we call this the "retard wire".
modernbeat
modernbeat Dork
5/21/12 10:07 p.m.
Raze wrote: Too bad you can't just data log an ignition wire advance before/after, that'd tell you pretty quick...

You can. It's called a "scope".

Raze
Raze SuperDork
5/22/12 8:36 a.m.
modernbeat wrote:
Raze wrote: Too bad you can't just data log an ignition wire advance before/after, that'd tell you pretty quick...

You can. It's called a "scope".

I was being sarcastic given all the responses asking for a dyno to proove it was working, my response got lost in translation...

Birthdays
Our Preferred Partners
HQNzc6iwZOSheRAeP0X34WNPekrQURaS