Alan Cesar Associate Editor
April 19, 2012 9:28 a.m.

Vacuum leak? Bent throttle arm? ECU issues? Wacky airflow meter? We tracked down the source of the problem with the help of a manual.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/project-cars/1984-porsche-911-carrera/porsche-idle-adjustment/

ultraclyde Dork
April 19, 2012 9:42 a.m.

I've caught flak from some of my car buddies about using repair manuals, but now that most manufacturers are using wacky proprietary crap, it's always a useful thing to have. I've always bought a manual for every car I work on, much less own.

carguy123 PowerDork
April 19, 2012 9:51 a.m.

Now you're trying to turn us all into girly men!

EricM
EricM SuperDork
April 19, 2012 9:57 a.m.

Wait a second, there are manuals?

Ian F UberDork
April 19, 2012 10:10 a.m.
ultraclyde wrote: I've always bought a manual for every car I work on, much less own.

Ditto - I keep them too. Some were damn hard to find. There are 4 factory manuals that cover the various systems on a '90 Ford van. I managed to get three of them. Used. Off Ebay. For prices that make Bentley manuals look cheap. But they are great manuals, so it was worth every penny.

That said, I also need to start documenting MINI-related tasks that I've learned how to do that aren't in any manual.

Kramer HalfDork
April 19, 2012 10:17 a.m.

Question from a guy who isn't into Volkswagens or porsches: what is a druck press?

Winston Reader
April 19, 2012 10:20 a.m.

In reply to Kramer:

"Druck" is German for "press" or "pressure." In this case the gauge is for oil pressure (measured in bars).

April 19, 2012 11:04 a.m.

There is a really cool car manual shop in Seattle. That's right -- they sell car manuals. Their prices are not low, but if you need something, you call, they go pull it from their many cabinets of manuals, you say "go," you pay, they ship.

http://www.books4cars.com/

They're car guys. I parked in front of the store once, went in, and the owner starts rattling off stats about my rare Saab at the curb (who the hell cares about random old Saabs, anyway?).

No, I'm not affiliated. but I can appreciate the value of a good manual...

RossD UltraDork
April 19, 2012 11:08 a.m.

I know how to read a manual. It reads like this:
1 3 5
2 4 R

wlkelley3 Dork
April 19, 2012 11:18 a.m.

Helps to be car bilingual there. I also have:
R 1 3
2 4 (can't get lined up right)
and
1 3 5
2 4 6 R

Grtechguy PowerDork
April 19, 2012 11:36 a.m.

I've also had

R 1 3 5

2 4 6

and

R___2

_1 _ 3

GameboyRMH UberDork
April 19, 2012 12:31 p.m.

The way to success.

gamby PowerDork
April 19, 2012 12:35 p.m.

Who is Manuel and why does he have all of the answers???

m4ff3w SuperDork
April 19, 2012 12:42 p.m.

Mine is:

• R-2-4
  • 1-3-5
Streetwiseguy SuperDork
April 19, 2012 8:46 p.m.

I sure hope all you guys that are dissing manuals are just kidding. I spend over $500 per month to keep my info systems up to date at the shop, and its the most profitable money I spend.

EvanB UltraDork
April 19, 2012 8:53 p.m.

Mine is 1-N-2-3-4-5-6.

David S. Wallens Editorial Director
April 19, 2012 11:32 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: I sure hope all you guys that are dissing manuals are just kidding. I spend over $500 per month to keep my info systems up to date at the shop, and its the most profitable money I spend.

I figured finding that bit about the idle switch saved us the good part of a day of chasing our tail.

LopRacer Reader
April 20, 2012 6:20 a.m.

First thing I do is buy a manual for every car I get, sometimes I get two one for the car and one for the house. I will admit some of my manuals are Chilton and Haynes but a few are of the better sort. When I can find them and afford them.

AngryCorvair PowerDork
April 20, 2012 10:22 a.m.

Factory Service Manuals FTMFW!

wlkelley3 Dork
April 20, 2012 11:28 a.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: I sure hope all you guys that are dissing manuals are just kidding. I spend over $500 per month to keep my info systems up to date at the shop, and its the most profitable money I spend.

I'm a former aircraft tech inspector and used to write maintenance manuals for a living. Of course kidding. Although nowadays I usually look to the interweb for manuals for my cars.

Keith MegaDork
April 20, 2012 11:29 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote:

I figured finding that bit about the idle switch saved us the good part of a day of chasing our tail.

Chasing your tail is nowhere near as rewarding as chasing someone else's.

I have factory manuals for all of my cars. Even the old Cadillac and the Land Rover. The Land Rover one has the complete set of official "by appointment to (royal family member)" seals inside the cover.

iceracer SuperDork
April 20, 2012 5:43 p.m.

My bookshelf is full of manuals. Probably some I could get rid of.

friedgreencorrado PowerDork
April 20, 2012 6:03 p.m.

Manuals FTW..especially when you're just a "parts changer" like me. Without the books (diagnosis), I'd be wasting money instead of saving it.

RexSeven SuperDork
April 20, 2012 6:28 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote: Manuals FTW..especially when you're just a "parts changer" like me. Without the books (diagnosis), I'd be wasting money instead of saving it.

THIS. If it weren't for my RX-7 FSM and Haynes manuals, I wouldn't have known where to begin fixing anything on that car. They are a huge help for someone like me who wasn't born with a ratchet in his hands.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Follow Us to the Nürburgring

2 days ago in News

Follow along as James Clay from BimmerWorld contests his first ADAC Zurich 24-Hour race at the Nürburgring.

Shark Bite: Back in 1997, Hyundai Was Into Rally

2 days ago in Articles

A Hyundai Tiburon as a rally car?

You Need This: Mazda RX-7 Turbo II Roller

2 days ago in News

What would you do with an empty RX-7 tub?

From the GRM Vault: Our First Drive of the Original BMW M3

3 days ago in Articles

We tested BMW's E30-chassis M3 back in 1989. Here's what we thought.

Great Moments in $2000 Challenge History: Minor Gasser

3 days ago in Articles

Here's what happens when you put a Chevy 350 in a Morris Minor.

What’s the Soonest That You Have Raced Your New Purchase?

3 days ago in News

This BMW M3 was wearing numbers 24 hours after getting registered.

You Need This: 2005 Lotus Elise

4 days ago in News

A Lotus Elise looks so right in British Racing Green.

2017 Mazda MX-5 RF

4 days ago in New Car Reviews

We're big fans of the Mazda MX-5. Now Mazda went and put a retractable fastback on their fourth-generation car. So, ...

Project Ramp Truck: Installing Sound Deadening

4 days ago in Project Cars

Time to cut down on heat and road noise making its way into the cab.

Eric Foss Sets Fastest Time Ever at the Tire Rack Ultimate Track Car Challenge

5 days ago in News

47 of the country's fastest cars battled it out for track supremacy.

Who Wants to Design the Next GRM T-Shirt?

5 days ago in News

Blipshift is involved, so you know that it will be cool.

Reader's Ride of the Week: Improving Upon the Ultimate Driving Machine

5 days ago in News

This E36-chassis M3 just keeps getting better.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
oDsWKHFumNaiSNBkdxzXfPCtZ6dk65JJ