Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder PowerDork
8/12/20 10:36 a.m.
feature_image

[Editor's Note: This article originally ran in the November 2007 issue of Grassroots Motorsports; for more updates, visit here.]

When we start contemplating a new project car, we have to consider its intended purpose in life. A project has to make sense from both a monetary and philosophical standpoint. For example, the latest M3 isn’t really appropriate for a …

Read the rest of the story

BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/12/20 10:51 a.m.

Ah, and here was me thinking you dragged another 99 home.

I think those articles were published in my "early career" as a GRM reader. Still a nice trip down memory lane.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
8/13/20 9:01 a.m.

...and we’re not going to rallycross a Lotus 7. 

Remarkable how things have changed - after seeing what Exomotive and Paco Motorsports put together, now a rallycross Lotus 7 sounds like it could be a good idea.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/13/20 1:19 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) :

Yep, look for a few more articles (and projects) from the archives. Figure it was good reading then and makes good reading now. 

Thanks. 

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UltraDork
8/13/20 2:05 p.m.

Had a 1973 99 the best ever in NE Ohio during the winter....never ran snow tires. 

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
8/13/20 3:58 p.m.

What is Per up to these days? I always enjoyed reading his column  and articles. 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/13/20 7:39 p.m.

In reply to pilotbraden :

Triathalons & family it seems. 

Powar (Forum Supporter)
Powar (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/14/20 10:22 a.m.

Where'd this car end up? I got to sit in it and pretend to be a real driver in Per's driveway when I bought the orange 99 from him. This was an excellent set of articles and Per was an exceedingly nice dude to deal with.

99Super
99Super
3/22/22 11:42 p.m.

In reply to Powar (Forum Supporter) :

The car is on it's way from CA to Bend, OR. Then possibly to ID depending on where I decide to register it. Due to health issues, it has largely sat untouched since it was purchased from Per. It will be a T5'd, 2.2l 16vT hillclimb monster.

procainestart
procainestart Dork
3/23/22 2:12 a.m.
99Super said:

In reply to Powar (Forum Supporter) :

2.2l.

2.2??

99Super
99Super New Reader
3/23/22 9:57 a.m.

In reply to procainestart :

2.2 is a 2.1 overbored. 2165cc so I rounded up. The engine is currently breaking in in FrankenSaab, my 78L hillclimber. Build thread on Saabrally.com. Frank had a GRM sidebar back in '99, but it is very little of that car today. I should submit an update...

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/24/22 11:04 a.m.

In reply to 99Super :

Hey, we saw that the Saab was for sale. So it sounds like it's going to a good home? Any more than you can share?

99Super
99Super New Reader
3/24/22 4:02 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens 

I've been continuing to develop FrankenSaab since GRM did the sidebar in the March/April 1999 issue. Using everything I've learned so far, I'm going to apply that to this chassis (thanks for the awesome cage and brakes!) to build a car worthy of Pike's Peak. Want to help? Want a story? -John/99Super

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jtJKOZHgbgCAVpUDuxONBt3zInw2Xc4tCQbR7nMJPmhUJ1qNCWziVXW0iZA1SOft