Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
3/27/19 9:59 a.m.
feature_image

In our last installment, we introduced our rebuilt-title 2015 Scion FR-S, which we won at a Copart auction. After a few minor fixes, we had a nearly perfect FR-S that we proceeded to daily drive for the better part of two years. Now though, with visions of humiliating Caymans at track days dancing in our heads, it was time …

Read the rest of the story

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/27/19 10:32 a.m.

Very relevant to my interests. Did you have to do any clearancing to make room for the 17x9 wheels? It's worth mentioning that those are +42 offset and stock offset is +48.

Also I think you meant that only rebound damping is adjustable on the ISCs?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/27/19 12:09 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:

Very relevant to my interests. Did you have to do any clearancing to make room for the 17x9 wheels? It's worth mentioning that those are +42 offset and stock offset is +48.

Also I think you meant that only rebound damping is adjustable on the ISCs?

BRZ/FRZ will fit up to a 265/35/18 without a roll with the right offset. 

Enkei specifically built an RPF1 that was 18x9.5 +38 to run a 255/35/18 tire. Which is what I ran on mine with Star Specs. But to run 9"+ wide you do need to be on coilovers for the inner clearance up front.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/27/19 12:10 p.m.

I'm curious why you guys didn't opt for the SPL arms over the ISCs. 

More adjustability and lets you set your ride height lower using the shock mounting hole so you maintain rear travel.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
3/27/19 12:12 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Rebound and compression are both adjustable, but not independently.

linuxd00d
linuxd00d New Reader
3/27/19 2:40 p.m.

What's the reasoning for turbo vs supercharger on this specific car? There are several supercharger options. They should provide more linear torque and more reliability on the track. Is there a reason to chose a turbo over that?

I ask out of personal interest. I just bought a 2015 FR-S as track day car.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/27/19 3:24 p.m.

^General advantages of a turbo are greater efficiency and greater tunability (vs. a supercharger where all you can do is change pulleys).

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/27/19 4:47 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Was your RPF1 setup square?

I wonder how long the budget coilovers will last on the street.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/27/19 4:52 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:

^General advantages of a turbo are greater efficiency and greater tunability (vs. a supercharger where all you can do is change pulleys).

An advantage of the roots/screw supercharger is packaging.  There isn't a whole lot of room under the hood.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/27/19 7:01 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Yep, square. There are tons of options for that fitment. ET35 works as well.

No idea on the budget coilovers, I don't mess with that stuff.

As for room, there is plenty. Look at the routing of the PTuning turbo kit.

Although if I was going to turbo a Twin, it would be Full Race or JDL.

Vracer111
Vracer111 Reader
4/5/19 7:44 p.m.

For GRM staff: I'm getting ready to sell my '13 FR-S (will be very sad to see it go, but due to financial choices I've made selling the FR-S is what I have decided to do to get out of debt) and have a CAE Ultra shifter I would like to donate to the project FR-S. Will need a little work invested to make it useable again, but it is absolutely a beautifully shifting unit if properly fit/toleranced that deserves to be used by performance/track minded owners.

I didn't properly check clearances when originally installing it and it ended up actually being fused to the pin on the linkage rod shearing off the pin on the shift linkage rod after about 6 months of daily driver useage. The sheared-off pin is stuck in the base of the shifter. I had planned to properly fix it one day by removing the pin piece, welding in a custom slightly smaller OD pin on the factory linkage rod, and slightly enlarging the hole in shifter for a bushing for the pin for proper tolerances. Anyways, want you to have it for this project car if it is something you would be interested in. Absolutely incredible shifter unit that made going back to stock shift mechanism a HUGE downgrade. 

Only thing with the CAE Ultra shifter (and the IRP shifter) is you REALLY need to have stiffer engine and transmission mounts for using this unit. The good news is ride quality actually becomes better with stiffer motor mounts than the factory mounts... and the Perrin mounts make any engine/transmission removal work much quicker/easier. Here's a DIY Guide thread I made for it on the FT86 Club forum if you want to research the CAE Ultra shifter:

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95288

Feel free to contact me if interested.

P.S. And another thing to add that is really good to do is replacing factory steering rack bushings with solid aluminum or delrin two-piece units - I know ya'll have made your own delrin bushings before. Absolutely worth it on the FR-S...stock steering rack bushings are horrible, even brand new...super soft rubber with minimal support and excessive slop between bolt and sleeve (bad tolerance).

rixter
rixter
5/22/19 4:02 p.m.

Any noticeable nvh for the bushing install on free way? I just put a set of delrin in my rear subframe so looking forward to the chage in handling too

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vAUZnJF6foqNjVoBGklD1KPdoKPVy2fbVW9eDU6g4BGO1jPwjKSAQKCaIdktnXMZ