Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
7/2/20 4:54 p.m.
feature_image

We were facing quite a challenge: The TireRack.com ChampCar Endurance Series would be coming to our home track–Daytona International Speedway–on July 5, and we were determined to run our low-buck VW Fox endurance racer.

Before we hit the high banks, though, we had a big goal: We’d effectively neutered our Fox by replacing our broken five-speed transmission …

Read the rest of the story

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/2/20 6:08 p.m.

You better upgrade the brakes and tires now...  wink

But you are racing, and I am not.frown

Just don't figure out the percentage of increase.

Tom Suddard
7/2/20 6:36 p.m.

I mean, we picked up about 20 horsepower at 6000 rpm. We're definitely going to feel that!

Honsch
Honsch New Reader
7/2/20 9:01 p.m.

C'mon, guys.  The correct solution is a W8!

Seriously, why isn't there an ABA in there yet?
With the same level of tuning you could have 125-135 WHP.

Or...

Just saying...

Tom Suddard
7/2/20 9:42 p.m.

There's no ABA because this is still technically a Lemons car. We'd get creamed at BS inspection if we did anything remotely logical. So throwing speed parts at this worthless lump is the best we can do!

Honsch
Honsch New Reader
7/3/20 5:04 a.m.

Lemons doesn't care, it's a VW Fox.

We were always in class B with the ABA, but that was before the turbo.

Tom Suddard
7/3/20 6:44 a.m.

In reply to Honsch :

I hear you, but you're also not in the same position we're in. We've got (probably deserved) targets on our backs for the Lemons judges. And class B is higher than what we want to run right now. 

Honsch
Honsch New Reader
7/3/20 12:13 p.m.

Ah, so you want to stay class C.

That's not an option for us, we won class C once a long time ago by placing 7th overall. 

I'm not sure that you have a bigger target on your backs than we do.  After that race, Judge Phil singled us out as one of the worst classing decisions he's ever made and told us it will never happen again.

Since then I think we've only finished one Lemons race, never the same DNF twice.

racer_tim
racer_tim New Reader
7/3/20 2:09 p.m.

Keep in mind, that BSI Racing was supporting VW's LONG before they went to the dark side with Spec Miata's.

brianathasport
brianathasport New Reader
7/6/20 1:35 p.m.

So, how much downforce do you need on a banked oval? And how much tire do you need with that much downforce? How much power will you need to counter that much drag?

I'm curious.

vintagemilano
vintagemilano New Reader
7/7/20 12:15 p.m.

Wasn't BSI the same company you guys did Zero to Hero with back in the early 2000's? Hope the weekend went ok. 

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/7/20 12:25 p.m.
vintagemilano said:

Hope the weekend went ok. 

*narrator voice* It did not.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
7/7/20 4:33 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

There's no ABA because this is still technically a Lemons car. We'd get creamed at BS inspection if we did anything remotely logical. So throwing speed parts at this worthless lump is the best we can do!

Just thinking of other cars that used that oddball drivetrain layout. I'll bet they would not give any BS laps if you swapped in a Renault Fuego Turbo drivetrain.

The question is whether you would be able to complete any other kind of laps if you swapped in a Renault Fuego Turbo drivetrain.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WdKsPrWzdSaE7VJ7xuXgfyloT6tmW771vbgHDlOtBidwKXrWgp2mfXpDrGwyATZs