JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
7/11/19 1:20 p.m.
feature_image

The stock intake snorkel on a C5 Corvette is a little weird. An “air bridge” hops over the radiator and connects to the air filter assembly nestled in the nose of the car. It all seems to make sense from a layout perspective, until you consider where the air actually comes from. Although the intake sits right behind the front …

Read the rest of the story

deaconblue
deaconblue New Reader
7/11/19 1:48 p.m.

Looks like the Breathless system is very similar to the Callaway Honker system on my C5 and possibly less expensive as well.

BTW, did you guys ever install the oil cooler setup from Improved Racing that you mention during the video about installing their oil pan baffles?

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/11/19 1:56 p.m.

Interesting. The C6 Z06 intake gets outside air from the front scoop.

JG Pasterjak
7/11/19 3:01 p.m.
deaconblue said:

Looks like the Breathless system is very similar to the Callaway Honker system on my C5 and possibly less expensive as well.

BTW, did you guys ever install the oil cooler setup from Improved Racing that you mention during the video about installing their oil pan baffles?

Yeah, similar principle in that they both breach the shroud and get cool air from outside the engine compartment. 

We took the car over to Orlando and Improved prototyped up some brackets and was exploring some various mounting options for a one-box C5 kit. We need to make one more trip over there and drop of the car or final prototyping and fittment.

deaconblue
deaconblue New Reader
7/12/19 8:05 a.m.

In reply to Harvey :

C5 is a bottom feeder, while the C6 & C7 are both front feeders.

deaconblue
deaconblue New Reader
7/12/19 8:07 a.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

Way cool (sorry for the pun)!  Please keep us posted on how that turns out.  I am looking forward to ordering their C5 kit once its available along with those oil pan trap door baffles.

JG Pasterjak
7/12/19 10:32 a.m.
deaconblue said:

In reply to Harvey :

C5 is a bottom feeder, while the C6 & C7 are both front feeders.

C5 is a bottom feeder for the radiator, but the stock intake is all contained under the hood. It's more of a "behind the bumper but in front of the engine" feeder for intake air.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/12/19 10:44 a.m.

I'm glad you address the potential for water intrusion, as the potential for hydrolock seems significant. 

Running one of those in Volusia County is going to test that.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/12/19 10:47 a.m.

You'd have to be in water about 2' deep for hydrolock to become a possibility. It's easier to suck air than water, so that's what the engine will do until it has no other choice.

JG Pasterjak
7/12/19 11:37 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

You'd have to be in water about 2' deep for hydrolock to become a possibility. It's easier to suck air than water, so that's what the engine will do until it has no other choice.

Yeah, this.

While technically the chance is greater with this system than with the stock setup, if you get into a situation where hydrolock is a strong possibility, there's every chance that the engine is the least of your problems at that point.

jstein77
jstein77 UberDork
7/12/19 12:18 p.m.

What about the reduction in air volume through the radiator?  Have you noted any change in water temperatures?

NorseDave
NorseDave Reader
7/12/19 1:39 p.m.

I guess I've never really looked specifically at this before, but is the stock C5 radiator actually mounted in a reclined position, ie, btm is farther forward than top, rather than vertical?  I don't recall ever seeing that.  

JG Pasterjak
7/12/19 3:58 p.m.
jstein77 said:

What about the reduction in air volume through the radiator?  Have you noted any change in water temperatures?

There's no blockage of the radiator. The intake basically just shares the same cavity as the radiator intake. There's still more than enough volume to feed both properly.

JG Pasterjak
7/12/19 4:00 p.m.
NorseDave said:

I guess I've never really looked specifically at this before, but is the stock C5 radiator actually mounted in a reclined position, ie, btm is farther forward than top, rather than vertical?  I don't recall ever seeing that.  

Yeah it's leaned back at a good 10-15 degrees. The hot setup is to actually lean it back even more and duct air through i then out the hood. Hard to do that and keep a/c, though, since the condenser sits right in front of the rad.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/12/19 6:33 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:
Keith Tanner said:

Yeah, this.

While technically the chance is greater with this system than with the stock setup, if you get into a situation where hydrolock is a strong possibility, there's every chance that the engine is the least of your problems at that point.

Today I learned...

Thanks for clarifying.

NorseDave
NorseDave Reader
7/12/19 6:55 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:
NorseDave said:

Yeah it's leaned back at a good 10-15 degrees. The hot setup is to actually lean it back even more and duct air through i then out the hood. Hard to do that and keep a/c, though, since the condenser sits right in front of the rad.

Interesting.  Those setups are usually leaned forward, aren't they?  Like this one (from a thread on here):

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5gYbwXBMkCP89p1aig1nDatd3WQlvgnxw8mktJQGKR14fkN8ZE3cdHatq02tOrxy