JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
7/17/19 1:51 p.m.
feature_image

After fixing our Z06's breathing issues, it was time to address keeping ourselves cool in our Project Z06

In case you’ve been living under a rock for a long time, we’ll remind you that we’re based in Florida and do most of our motorsports activities in the Sunshine State, and around the Southeast. We’ll also remind you that the …

Read the rest of the story

te72
te72 Reader
7/17/19 11:52 p.m.

Is there an option for a second shirt hookup with this? My Supra has no AC, thanks to an external oil pump that occupies that compressor's former spot... so I'm looking for options. Saw one that was an in-car AC unit that is apparently the same ones used in Le Mans cars, and whoa... talk about a Le Mans price. All of a sudden, $3000 doesn't sound all that bad.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
7/18/19 7:56 a.m.
te72 said:

Is there an option for a second shirt hookup with this? My Supra has no AC, thanks to an external oil pump that occupies that compressor's former spot... so I'm looking for options. Saw one that was an in-car AC unit that is apparently the same ones used in Le Mans cars, and whoa... talk about a Le Mans price. All of a sudden, $3000 doesn't sound all that bad.

Yeah. They have Y-hoses for multiple shirts, shirt and helmet, etc.

ztnedman1
ztnedman1 New Reader
7/18/19 9:42 a.m.

I get it for certain cars.  But for something like a Z06 why not a switch to keep the PCM from killing the compressor WOT?

That giant box filled with water + 160ft of coolant doesn't look like much weight savings, and the 2hp draw isn't hurting a Z06.  Maybe I'm missing something? Why drop 3k on something that doesn't do anything different?  What is the point?

ross2004
ross2004 Reader
7/18/19 9:56 a.m.

Because you go around the track with the windows down. Your car's AC isn't going to do anything for you. 

sergio
sergio Reader
7/18/19 12:28 p.m.

That system uses way less coolant than an ice based one does. Block ice lasts a little longer than bagged ice but eventually it’s done by 2 hours at least here in Texas. 

te72
te72 Reader
7/18/19 10:41 p.m.

Sometime it is a matter of available space, or even weight distribution. In the case of my Supra, I literally have nowhere I even COULD put an ac compressor, even if I wanted to.

So, either I go with an electric ac compressor (Prius comes to mind), or I get something like this, that could probably be more useful on autocross and track days, when the windows are usually down.

JG, not sure why I didn't think there would be Y-fittings, seems obvious at this point. =P

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8XEqfjfUDQaKjbu93kYwH8hFWfxFbO9lJnYTqQcDjMdf9q0k1Yxpq2Laxec365q7