Armitage
Armitage Dork
12/28/18 8:02 a.m.

Hey all, if you have a '14 - '18 Mazda with a factory infotainment, you can now retrofit with Mazda's *official* Android Auto and Apple CarPlay support. I did the update last weekend to our '15 Mazda3 and it was straightforward. The update requires a firmware reflash, replacing the USB hub with an updated part and running two new cables. Total cost for parts was about $160 online. 

Instructions and firmware are all documented here. The Mazda official instructions are available for download along with the firmware if you don't care to read the wall of colored text and just jump to the goods.

https://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2014-2018-mazda-3-skyactiv-audio-electronics/230249-genuine-carplay-android-auto-all-here-now.html

Buried in the pages of that thread is a youtube video link to a hack you can use if your USB hub is mounted in the dash and you don't want to go through the trouble of removing the entire center console. The poster found that he could drill out the locking tabs from the front and remove the USB hub without removing the center console, shifter, etc. I used this hack and the job took about 30 minutes instead of 2 hours.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/28/18 8:05 a.m.

My newly purchased 2014 five is a base model, but thanks for posting.

Nugi
Nugi Reader
12/28/18 8:08 a.m.

This is tempting, but now I have a connundrum. I hacked my infotainment system to be more useful, and that will kill my 'jailbreak'. 

Also, for those with mazda infotainment, check out the hacks if you have not yet. https://mazdatweaks.com 

Armitage
Armitage Dork
12/28/18 8:11 a.m.

Bummer :/ Our '15 is a base model (iSport I think they call it) but it came with the infotainment screen, but no features (nav, camera). I assume that all models from that point were shipped with them due to the impending backup camera law.

Armitage
Armitage Dork
12/28/18 8:42 a.m.
Nugi said:

This is tempting, but now I have a connundrum. I hacked my infotainment system to be more useful, and that will kill my 'jailbreak'. 

Also, for those with mazda infotainment, check out the hacks if you have not yet. https://mazdatweaks.com 

If you like the unofficial version you may want to stick with it. One thing I didn't mention is the official version of Android Auto is designed to be used with the knob and not the touchscreen, in keeping with Mazda's whole "disable the touch screen when driving" thing. Oddly, their CarPlay implementation apparently uses the screen, not the knob.

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/28/18 10:19 a.m.

I was going to say at first this is a rehash of what I posted a while back, but appreciate all your new info. 

Mazdaduece is planning to do this on the FM Turbo RF. 

This is a really awesome upgrade to any MX connect equipped Mazda. 

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
12/28/18 11:10 a.m.

Mazda is awesome. I can't imagine the retrofitting nightmare this was. 

I've ordered the parts to update the CX-5, noice.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
12/28/18 3:49 p.m.

FYI: Ebay is having a 15% off sale right now until 6PM PT and there are DIY kits available on there. I think I may pick one up for the wife's 2018 CX-5. 

Nugi
Nugi Reader
12/28/18 3:58 p.m.

In reply to Armitage :

Oddly, while the hack allows touch screen operation, I perfer the knob. Except that I constantly hit it with my forearm while resting my hand on the shifter. I really jeed to make a cushion for the armrest to prevent this. Its my biggest gripe with my ND. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
12/28/18 4:02 p.m.

Also, FYI: here are the installation instructions for a CX-5 (I imagine it's similar on other models: 

https://sep.yimg.com/ty/cdn/yhst-24809172479195/cx5z2317.pdf

Some notes:
-You have to remove the console and most of the dashboard to run the wiring to the back of the display panel
-It only works when it's directly connected to the phone via a USB cable to the new ports (does NOT work over Bluetooth)

I think I might hold out for a bit on this. 

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/28/18 4:47 p.m.

Similar to some of the Fords, where they needed updated USB hubs to provide more amperage and yes to use CarPlay in my Ford, you have to have it plugged in via USB.

Not really a huge issue, but to each their own.

Sucks that you have to do more work to get it working on the CX-5 and other models though.

After using the Ford's system before and after Apple CarPlay, I prefer CarPlay.  Maps works better, Pandora works better.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jplTnhaNoRSJR7pAoiDfuuEEGaO5VrYdvnQCqwXVjjTvSFXa8VoMsQV6QDMMDadC