1 2
MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Reader
2/21/18 12:27 p.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to MotorsportsGordon : I understand why they are switching from methanol to ethanol. 

Methanol is some nasty stuff. In the old days they use to just pour it and well the splashed stuff evaporated fast didn’t it?  

Now they wear special  splash aprons, face shields, big rubber gloves that go past the elbow, and those replaceable cartridge respirators 

That’s  all learned the hard way from racers and mechanics dying.   

On the other hand racers drink ethanol. In their beer, wine, Bourbon, Scotch, etc.  

True,  the stuff in the tank has been denatured in a way that makes it not drinkable. 

Well Indycar switched to ethonal for sponsorship and marketing reasons etc. Yes if you drink methonal it’s not going to go well but I think if your drink gasoline or diesel aswell things aren’t going to go well either. I regularly fill up the fuel on my friends dirt late model and that’s methonal. Ofcourse that’s not with a car running and it’s  being poored down into a funnel from a fuel jug into the fuel cell.

frenchyd
frenchyd Dork
2/21/18 12:39 p.m.

In reply to MotorsportsGordon :

Do wear protective stuff please. Methanol just getting on you can have a really bad effect. You don’t have to drink it to go blind and or die. 

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
2/21/18 12:41 p.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to MotorsportsGordon :

Do wear protective stuff please. Methanol just getting on you can have a really bad effect. You don’t have to drink it to go blind and or die. 

On this note, how much safety concern is there around methanol based washer fluid?  Especially on cars where the vapors tend to get pulled into the vents after using the squirters?  

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
2/21/18 12:56 p.m.

Worst movie ever, Stallone's Driven, actually addresses this in the pic. One of the few decent aspects of the movie.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/21/18 1:18 p.m.
SVreX said:

Someone should invent an infrared visor for fire responders and crew workers. 

The technology is available, cost is the problem. Some firefighters do have infrared goggles.

frenchyd
frenchyd Dork
2/21/18 4:48 p.m.

In reply to rslifkin :

I don’t know. Considering most fluid is around 10% methanol and the rest water and dye  I suspect not a lot. 

frenchyd
frenchyd Dork
2/21/18 4:59 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Relax. There have been 73 fatalities at Indy 

the last by fire  was from Gasoline not alcohol. That was back in 1964.  

So ethanol has never caused an Indy 500 death  Well the guy driving his pickup that hit a van may have had a lot of ethanol in him (drunk? ) 

Thank you Wikipedia 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Q8ZWtr71xKGFKWqGgPNoIcdNybQWwU9VnnXbmy80JYOuCa4dyJxNleEK5uK4yi38