1 2 3
Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
12/25/19 11:00 a.m.

I will be vaguely annoyed when Next Door becomes plausible in my area. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
12/25/19 11:08 a.m.
Vigo said:

I will be vaguely annoyed when Next Door becomes plausible in my area. 

It's a weird little website for sure. I have one specific 85 year old neighbor who is bonkers insane and I live next door to her. To put things in context she has restraining orders against her from some of my other neighbors. I apparently breed mountain lions, I have two huge Maine Coons, I caused her husbands pneumonia with my garden.  I am bringing down the value of her home with my wrenching. It just goes on and on and on. She used to put huge signs in her front yard about how the neighbors and I we were ruining her neighborhood. Cops have gotten involved a few time.

But she now complains on next door and not IRL and since I never go there unless my neighbors tell me that something funny has been posted I sleep better.

90BuickCentury
90BuickCentury New Reader
12/26/19 8:23 a.m.

Being mentioned on Nextdoor just means that you have an annoying neighbor or 2 that think that anything above 3 cars is excessive. They're usually the same ones that complain about other stupid stuff like hearing a dog bark, or that trash pickup was delayed a day, or that there aren't enough steak restaraunts in town, etc.

My problem is that I have limited storage space and also, I tend to buy cars that nobody else really likes, so selling them off would take too long and not net much money or save much money. So I'm keeping my current fleet as-is for now, although I will probably sell 2 next year.

Now that my garage is finally heated and fully insulated (R13 walls, R30 attic, and R6 door) my available wrenching time is greatly increased and more enjoyable, so I can get more work done on my cars. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
12/26/19 10:06 a.m.

rained about 1/2 inch last night and San Diego is floating away  so stayed up watching the rain.  Allegedly delivery truck is at the site and is doing a straight shot here.  

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/26/19 11:59 a.m.

In some ways, I was happiest when I had "one car to rule them all."

I was living in Canada reduced everything down to the Lancer Evo VIII: Practical daily driver (not the most comfortable, but still ok); handled snow/ice very well (with the right tires); was killer at winter driving schools and frozen lake events; and damned quick around Tremblant and Mosport in the summer months. One car with three sets of wheels for winter, summer, and track tires really could do everything I needed.

Now that I'm older, I want a smoother and more comfortable daily driver. And I'm now racing rather than HPDE, so a dedicated race car needed to be built. Buying a house in the suburbs means a decent pickup/SUV makes sense for runs to Home Depot, trips to the dump, hauling firewood, etc. besides towing the racecar. But sometimes the weather is nice and you just want to go off for a Sunday drive in the mountains or go to a cars-n-coffee cruise. That's where the weekend toy (+/- HPDE car) comes into play: in my case, I've gone with vintage Triumph roadsters.

All of this to say, I think 4 cars is now the magic number for me.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
12/27/19 10:52 a.m.

So R8 is still not here. This is a problem as I returned the Civic on Tuesday as it was supposed to be here then. Wife is out with friends and the two cars remaining are on weekend and show driving policy. 

Allegedly its in transit today but I have karaoke with tonight and I can just see it showing up right in the middle of that.

Image result for package meme

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/27/19 10:57 a.m.
wearymicrobe said:

So R8 is still not here.. 

Allegedly its in transit today but I have karaoke tonight and I can just see it showing up right in the middle of that.

pretty sure this belongs in First World Problems thread.  :-)

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
12/27/19 11:43 a.m.

I sold off a bunch of cars after my son (second child) was born, and bought a new daily (mazda 3) and a nicer family hauler for Mrs VCH (low miles '99 3/4 ton Suburban, which I'm currently riding in). So now the rest of the running fleet looks like:

-1966 Jaguar 3.8s

-1964 Corvair convertible

-1968 Camaro

-1951 "Plymford" 24 hour of lemons car

-1993 Chevy dually crew cab (tow/haul pig)

-a bunch of project/parts cars that aren't registered or insured, mostly in barns

I'm not sure where to go from here; there's probably a few cars I -should- sell but also many I anticipate getting to.  I have, at least, instituted a "one for one" policy, so if I want to acquire anything else, something currently in the fleet needs to be sold.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
12/27/19 1:33 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:
wearymicrobe said:

So R8 is still not here.. 

Allegedly its in transit today but I have karaoke tonight and I can just see it showing up right in the middle of that.

pretty sure this belongs in First World Problems thread.  :-)

Totally. I had to Drive the Viper to get lunch. Got a quick woop by one of the local police I know who scared the crap out of me but just wanted my attention. Forgot how hateful that thing is on the street. Doubt I got over 2500 rpm

Truck driver called the dealership and should be there soon. So I should have it tonight. Not going to get to drive it much has to go in for ceramic coating and insurance inspection and I need to cut a healthy check to the DMV as well.

I always figured this would fall apart at the last second but with the loan funded and the car on the truck i don't see how.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
12/27/19 3:21 p.m.
LanEvo said:

I was living in Canada reduced everything down to the Lancer Evo VIII: Practical daily driver (not the most comfortable, but still ok); handled snow/ice very well (with the right tires); was killer at winter driving schools and frozen lake events; and damned quick around Tremblant and Mosport in the summer months. One car with three sets of wheels for winter, summer, and track tires really could do everything I needed.

Now that I'm older, I want a smoother and more comfortable daily driver. And I'm now racing rather than HPDE, so a dedicated race car needed to be built. Buying a house in the suburbs means a decent pickup/SUV makes sense for runs to Home Depot, trips to the dump, hauling firewood, etc. besides towing the racecar. But sometimes the weather is nice and you just want to go off for a Sunday drive in the mountains or go to a cars-n-coffee cruise. That's where the weekend toy (+/- HPDE car) comes into play: in my case, I've gone with vintage Triumph roadsters.

I had sold a bunch of toys and got a 993 Turbo S, brand new. Thinking having "one car," will solve it all. Then I realized that my addiction is the purchase. Thus I buy and sell always, and having just "one" doesn't work for me. I am more addicted to the purchase than the car. After I buy, I drive, then they sit. I am bored, they sit with no miles. Thus the constant turnover is what I like.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
12/27/19 6:26 p.m.

I have a lot of cars. I keep trying to downsize,  then find something else I want.  At the end of the day I've just come to terms with the fact that I like variety.  I am working to get down to a more manageable number,  but that is still a pretty large number.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
12/27/19 6:27 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:
LanEvo said:

I had sold a bunch of toys and got a 993 Turbo S, brand new. Thinking having "one car," will solve it all. Then I realized that my addiction is the purchase. Thus I buy and sell always, and having just "one" doesn't work for me. I am more addicted to the purchase than the car. After I buy, I drive, then they sit. I am bored, they sit with no miles. Thus the constant turnover is what I like.

993 Turbo S is an amazing car.  That's one that I would have a hard time turning loose of.

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
12/27/19 6:31 p.m.

When my wife got pregnant with our twins and I started to realize my time and money would be very limited I cut from 11 vehicles (3 drivers,1 tow rig, 1 race car and 6 projects) down to 4 vehicles and it made life so much less hectic. I'm down to 3 vehicles now because I don't have the time or funds to drag a trailer 2hrs every weekend. I sometimes miss buying a bunch of random projects though

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/27/19 6:40 p.m.

I am thinking I will be at 4 and be happy, Fun Daily(my N), 4x4/winter beater/can tow a car(430k mile 99 land cruiser), race car(looking like a P71), and a fun/cool car(likely something quirky and JDM)

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
12/27/19 7:05 p.m.
Cotton said:
mr2s2000elise said:
LanEvo said:

993 Turbo S is an amazing car.  That's one that I would have a hard time turning loose of.

I still have it. Bought it new. Drove 31k miles. Parked it since. Doesn't interest me. But don't sell it. 

May least of the 9, I put 3 for sale. Two sold. I cancelled the other, was going to regret 

now $23k in pocket from 2 sales. Wife asks when I will deposit. Instead I made two appointments to see two cars tomorrow. Sigh. 

being a drug or alcohol addict would be better for me 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
12/27/19 8:28 p.m.

It's in the truck and allegedly on the road driver says tonight 11:00 or tomorrow at 5am depending on traffic and logs. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/27/19 9:18 p.m.

I wonder how I'll feel about the appropriate number of cars (and motorcycles) once I throw an airplane in the mix? 

Raze
Raze UltraDork
12/28/19 2:13 a.m.

Down to 3 vehicles here, company car DD for miles, 1le Camaro for track, xr4ti project car, this mix tends to scratch all my itches.  It helps my wife has a Wrangler

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
12/28/19 5:29 p.m.

Its here. I just got it cleaned up it got rained on in the trip down here and it is fantastic. It is also so much worse then my 911 in some ways and so much better in others. Will type something up later got to go out with friends for dinner in a bit.

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Dork
12/28/19 7:22 p.m.

Eager to hear the comparison with your 911.  Don't forget to remind us exactly which 911 you have.

nimblemotorsports
nimblemotorsports Reader
12/30/19 1:54 a.m.

I just bought three more... BTW, looks like I'm going to be renting a 8500 sf building now, not just 4500, or 7000.  :)

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
12/30/19 11:41 a.m.
nimblemotorsports said:

I just bought three more... BTW, looks like I'm going to be renting a 8500 sf building now, not just 4500, or 7000.  :)

If I lived where I could do that I would just to have space for friends to come over and wrench. Just adding another double garage to my house between permits and construction alone would run almost 80K out here. The land alone would add another 60K based on current pricing in my neighborhood if I had to buy that.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader
1/2/20 7:52 p.m.

No photos?

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
1/2/20 8:52 p.m.

Will put some up after I detail it this weekend. Going to do a quick polish and ceramic coat. Still working on the F150 for my BIL so been busy getting that truck up and running.

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/2/20 9:41 p.m.
LanEvo said:

I'm hoping that the CyberTruck will be that for me, once it is available.  In the meantime, I've gone from 5 cars & 3 motorcycles (one of each were SWMBO's) to 2 cars & 3 motorcycles in the last 9 months since SWMBO passed away.  I plan to sell off all of the motorcycles in the spring & be down to just 2 vehicles for the first time since 1995...hopefully they will both still be running and drivable at that point.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QAMQbr6l8CpWtkbnf0IjceNUWjJaqJfXBXd3YDLp7wpI5mpMHKkFuuVMsQIdP67V