bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
5/25/16 7:43 a.m.

How can you tell if a vehicle has a reserve or not? I see some listed as no reserve. Does that mean that the ones that don't say that have a reserve?

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/25/16 7:50 a.m.

That is correct.

bastomatic
bastomatic UltraDork
5/25/16 8:20 a.m.

From what I can tell, it's hard to tell when reserve is met while the auction is live as well, unless the seller posts a comment about it.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
5/25/16 8:22 a.m.

In reply to bastomatic:

Yes, that was my other question that I neglected to ask. It would be nice if the status of the reserve was more clearly conveyed.

java230
java230 HalfDork
5/25/16 10:13 a.m.

It sure seems to me that BaT drives prices way up. Just my 2c from watching auctions there....

And yes the reserve/no reserve is annoying.

bastomatic
bastomatic UltraDork
5/25/16 10:33 a.m.

Prices seem all over the map to me - high outliers are there certainly, and they grab your attention, like the aircooled Porsches ($65k for a 912), or examples that don't come around often, like a low-miles original Type R.

But there are some decent (but never incredible) deals to be found on driver-quality cars. And then you get a Pebble Beach concours car not clearing $30k.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/25/16 12:00 p.m.
bastomatic wrote: Prices seem all over the map to me - high outliers are there certainly, and they grab your attention, like the aircooled Porsches ($65k for a 912), or examples that don't come around often, like a low-miles original Type R. But there are some decent (but never incredible) deals to be found on driver-quality cars. And then you get a Pebble Beach concours car not clearing $30k.

Success at an auction depends on who's there, so I suspect that's down to demographics.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/25/16 12:53 p.m.
java230 wrote: It sure seems to me that BaT drives prices way up. Just my 2c from watching auctions there.... And yes the reserve/no reserve is annoying.

As a 2x seller on BaT, I agree with you. And if you're selling a car clean enough for that venue, you don't need a reserve.

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
5/26/16 12:20 a.m.

I follow them on twitter and some really interesting stuff comes up almost daily. Some of the "sold" values are shockingly high. Seems like that's the place to sell a rare-but-not-quite-desirable car.

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
5/26/16 6:08 a.m.

I'll be listing our Lemons Citroen SM there as soon as we finish the NJ process of creating a title, seems like the right market for that car. We sold the Rolls Royce there before it was auction style and had a lot of interest.

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
5/26/16 3:08 p.m.

In reply to Sonic:

They just talked about BaT Auctions on The Smoking Tire podcast today. It's a $250 fee, but I guess reaching that audience, who seems to be prone to paying extra, is worth it.

The SM will get interest because it's running. It's a helluva parts car and the engine is probably worth decent money.

I'll be very curious to see how it does. I'm sure it'll pop up in my twitter feed.

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
5/26/16 3:14 p.m.

Yup, selling the SM takes exactly the right nationwide audience and I think it would get more traffic on BaT than eBay and certainly more than Philly craigslist, and there really isn't a good Citroen forum. The complete running motor is worth more than what I want, let alone the new suspension spheres, glass, trim, etc.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IYMLvIDTEczE2aZjX0n3cm3cBx4zZUDeEVrYkmqrHPVyeUAXh8xyfgYsNnyuP0gh