93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
11/16/19 8:53 a.m.

Important details:

2016 Kia Optima

Wisconsin (snow)

Selling/trading in 1-2 years

Wife's car

Looking for some new tires for the wife's Kia Optima and strongly considering some of the new-ish "All Weather" tires.  Basically an all season with a 3 peak symbol OR a dumbed down snow tire that can be run all year.

Was originally just gonna pony up for the Goodyear Assurance Weather-Ready ($615/set plus install), also considering a Vredestein Quatrac 5 at $480/set.  Did a little more looking and saw the Toyo Celcius at $428/set.   Man, that is tempting!  Especially if she only plans on keeping it for another year or two.

Current tires are OEM Kumhos and were bad 2 years ago, they are cashed now.  

What say you guys?  Roll the dice on the Toyos?  

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
11/16/19 9:11 a.m.

At that price, with a car that will be gone soon, I would do cheapest . Toyo sound fine 

lnlds
lnlds Reader
11/16/19 11:07 a.m.

Toyo doesn't seem like a bad choice 

https://www.autotrader.ca/newsfeatures/20180308/long-term-tire-test-toyo-celsius-all-weather-tires-part-two/ 

Braking test  from 50 kph  (~30 mph)

Toyo Proxes (all season)– 154 feet

Toyo Celsius (all weather) – 115 feet

Toyo Observe GSi5 (winter) – 106 feet

No direct comparison versus the other all-weather tires but wasn't too far off in terms of braking compared to a winter tire. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/16/19 11:27 a.m.

I'd just toss real snows on it.  Here in cleveland where it's got the opportunity to be cold and snowy for 6 months some people(myself included in the past) just run snows year round on daily appliances.  They still last 3 years.  

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
11/16/19 3:16 p.m.
Patrick said:

I'd just toss real snows on it.  Here in cleveland where it's got the opportunity to be cold and snowy for 6 months some people(myself included in the past) just run snows year round on daily appliances.  They still last 3 years.  

Thought did cross my mind and I know some folks who do that.  She doesnt dig the snow tire look (I know, I know) but I get it.  The Toyo outer tread blocks look pretty civilized with the inner tread blocks doing a lot of the dirty work.  

dxman92
dxman92 HalfDork
11/17/19 10:32 a.m.

I've heard good things about the Nokian all weather tires..

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
11/17/19 1:12 p.m.

I've been very well pleased with the Continentals / Generals All Seasons on the MPV and  (going back a little ways) on the wife's Audi A6.  Seems like a very good compromise between price, comfort, longevity, and performance.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eBuhwT07zLof5swopGSyQUnPnGBabJbHFeweyFvEVHd2Zuke4nP2kMox3TBdQBq5