1 2 3 4 5
cutter67
cutter67 Reader
2/27/13 5:40 a.m.

does a datsun 320 unibody count.....one thing i wish i never sold

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
2/27/13 6:48 a.m.

Had friends with various Rabbits, including diesels, I was always underwhelmed by them.

Had a Rampage at work when I was doing mining equipment. Beat the tar out of it, and it worked flawlessly for years on end.

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
2/27/13 11:55 a.m.

I see your Rampage burnout pic, and raise you this.

I may be a bit biased, and I've grown to like both, but the styling of the Rabbit wins hands down. And to the people that say getting power out of a Rampage is easier, let me remind you that the 16v, 1.8t, and the 2.0t fsi are bolt ins.

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
2/27/13 12:35 p.m.

the VW diesel is just way to slow for me....give me the shelby rampage and I'll roll it with pride.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 HalfDork
2/27/13 12:53 p.m.
16vCorey wrote: I see your Rampage burnout pic, and raise you this. I may be a bit biased, and I've grown to like both, but the styling of the Rabbit wins hands down. And to the people that say getting power out of a Rampage is easier, let me remind you that the 16v, 1.8t, and the 2.0t fsi are bolt ins.

I may be a bit biased the other way, but the rampage pictured above is a full 2.4 swapped truck that runs 10s. Top that bunny boy

ronholm
ronholm HalfDork
2/27/13 12:57 p.m.
cutter67 wrote: does a datsun 320 unibody count.....one thing i wish i never sold

OK... I ain't a datsun fan... but that is sweet!

Rampage for the win.

http://youtu.be/xDCK0zxxC_A

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
2/27/13 3:39 p.m.
moparman76_69 wrote: I may be a bit biased the other way, but the rampage pictured above is a full 2.4 swapped truck that runs 10s. Top that bunny boy

OK, you got me there. There have been 10 second rabbits, but I don't think anyone has given that treatment to the pickup. So in other words, there's proof it can be done, but no one has done it yet!

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Dork
2/27/13 4:25 p.m.

I would rather have a Rampage over a Golfit pickup, the rampage looks better. The Rampage bed will also have less room taken up by spare parts and tools.

Iusedtobefast
Iusedtobefast New Reader
2/27/13 4:52 p.m.

Rampage! More so with SRT4 power! My second car was Omni o24, same as Rampage but with hatch. I believe it had the vow motor in it, hard to remember that long ago.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
2/27/13 6:35 p.m.
Iusedtobefast wrote: Rampage! More so with SRT4 power! My second car was Omni o24, same as Rampage but with hatch. I believe it had the vow motor in it, hard to remember that long ago.

Yeah, the 1.7 of death. I have an extra "H" motor sitting right here actually.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
2/27/13 6:42 p.m.

if the 1.7 is a vw/audi unit.. a 1.8t or a VR6 cannot be a hard swap

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UberDork
2/27/13 6:46 p.m.

Can i get a caddy with an srt4 swap?

turboswede
turboswede PowerDork
2/27/13 6:55 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: if the 1.7 is a vw/audi unit.. a 1.8t or a VR6 cannot be a hard swap

A buddy built a Horizon with the 1.7, webers, cam, etc and a close ratio VW 5-speed, gutted to death and would chase my Uncle's 84 GLH DSP around (taking turns passing each other at the local track days). The drivetrain just more of less bolted together. e was going to put a larger VW motor in it later. Pretty impressive for a fairly small motor in a slightly heavier chassis (when compared to the GTi). Unfortunately he has macular degeneration so he doesn't race anymore, he built a Dodge Magnum show car (was at the Portland Auto Show if anyone was there)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bfaonxft98fyzh1/Photo%20Jan%2025,%204%2011%2029%20PM.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b4evj0w4ke48wb6/Photo%20Jan%2025,%204%2010%2029%20PM.jpg

Sorry for the sidetrack there.

Hal
Hal Dork
2/27/13 9:08 p.m.

I'll pass on the VW's. Know a bunch of the people who put them together

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps HalfDork
2/27/13 9:20 p.m.

In reply to turboswede:

^^ Links don't work

turboswede
turboswede PowerDork
2/27/13 9:29 p.m.

yeah, copy the whole line and paste it into the browser. why spaces are allowed in any URL is beyond me.

Vigo
Vigo UltraDork
2/27/13 10:03 p.m.
And to the people that say getting power out of a Rampage is easier, let me remind you that the 16v, 1.8t, and the 2.0t fsi are bolt ins.

Yeah, but they're basically bolt-ins to the rampage too via the factory omni 1.7 trans/mounts. As is the SRT4 motor that you can find videos of people dyno'ing 700whp on a stock bottom end.

The great thing about FWD mopars if you actually want to go fast is that their tiny torqueflite 3spd auto can be built to the hilt and the factory axles are ridiculously strong in the FWD world. That trans has carried a few different cars into the 8s 1/4 mile.

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
2/27/13 10:04 p.m.

links fixed. you're welcome.

iceracer
iceracer UberDork
2/28/13 8:43 a.m.
PubBurgers wrote: Rabbit diesel. Done!

Every drive one? Much like a Beetle only FWD.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UberDork
2/28/13 8:58 a.m.
Vigo wrote: The great thing about FWD mopars if you actually want to go fast is that their tiny torqueflite 3spd auto can be built to the hilt and the factory axles are ridiculously strong in the FWD world. That trans has carried a few different cars into the 8s 1/4 mile.

Say wha? You have piqued my interests....

Vigo
Vigo UltraDork
2/28/13 10:32 p.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mCXD8o5JNxQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmAZp85vpi0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ17e6IdXZA

All have the same trans.. old FWD mopar torqueflite.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
3/1/13 6:21 a.m.

Either is cool because they came from a time when vehicles actually looked different. Before government regs and aero thingys. Even though everything is much more advanced and technically better now they all look alike, especially the mid size sedan market.

Jetmugg
Jetmugg
9/23/13 9:36 a.m.

I realize this thread is on the older side of things, but thought you guys might enjoy seeing my Dodge Rampage with transplanted VW diesel power, running on a chassis dyno.

Weather permitting, it will be running on the Bonneville Salt Flats next week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NYikOly9S0

Graefin10
Graefin10 Dork
9/23/13 9:41 a.m.

Impressive, for sure. If you get any video of the runs please post them.

Jetmugg
Jetmugg New Reader
9/23/13 9:57 a.m.

I have a GoPro camera which will be mounted to the roll cage during the speed runs.

1 2 3 4 5
Our Preferred Partners
e0VZGYnjpQULKN2FjEC7mWyaq19QS4IyFaBQtz04YfuhPy7mlbvf6JoB8EqThdqV