1 2
asifnyc
asifnyc New Reader
11/22/11 9:22 p.m.

hi all, been lurking for a while and finally decided to introduce my latest build. It's a 1974 AMC Javelin built for NASA's American Iron class. Unfortunately no one is really racing that class here in northern California so I'm kinda trying to figure out where to race it now. anyway, just had the car out for it's first ever shake down run at Infineon (Sear's Point) this past Saturday. video below and more info at my blog: asifnyc.com

video: shake down

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
11/22/11 9:24 p.m.

You're gonna fit in just fine around here.

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
11/22/11 9:56 p.m.

You're my new best friend.

There are a few of us AMC nuts here--and I think I can safely say we will all be paying close attention to your project.

asifnyc
asifnyc New Reader
11/22/11 10:56 p.m.

thanks guys.

I know about Michael Pinto. who else has "the disease" around here?

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
11/22/11 11:19 p.m.

When I was growing up my father was the GM of one of the largest AMC dealerships in the US (Buran in Milwaukee). He founded the AMCC and was involved with the Penske/AMC Trans-Am effort in 1970-71...he also crewed for Team Penske at Indy and Milwaukee on several occasions. Any time that Penske raced in Wisconsin (Road America or The Mile), they used the dealership as kind of a home base. Dad has pictures of me sitting in Mark Donohue's McLaren in 1972 the week after he won Indy. I was 4.

When in college I bought Mr. Buran's personal 1970 AMX--it was just a Matador Red 360/AT...but it had miles in the teens in 1987...and was like new. I also had a project Donohue Javelin...but sold it after I got married.

I have boxes full of old AMC literature--including the full press release for the 1968 "Team Javelin" Trans-Am cars.

I have the disease...absolutely.

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid Dork
11/23/11 12:17 a.m.

that was very cool. i am a amc/dodge fan here and i just sold a 66rambler this summer since i just didnt do anything with the car in 4 years. i know javlin is on here and his family is really huge into amcs. i am also a member of namdra car club for amc. have you thought about seeing if you could run in the stang/cramit challange with your car? if would be something different to see doing battle with the blue oval and bowtie crowd.

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
11/23/11 7:04 a.m.
asifnyc wrote: Unfortunately no one is really racing that class here in northern California ...

Really? I find that morethan a little surprising.

Definitely a cool build. I didn't know you could build up an older car to race in that class. Such news will likely send me off searching for an old Mopar...

Oh yeah... "Paging Javelin! Paging Javelin!!!"

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
11/23/11 7:47 a.m.
asifnyc wrote: thanks guys. I know about Michael Pinto. who else has "the disease" around here?

I've owned 14 Jeeps, quite a few being AMC. I almost picked up a 72 Javelin and am alwast THIS CLOSE to buying an Eagle.

jimbbski
jimbbski Reader
11/23/11 9:11 a.m.

I'm a bit of an AMC fan as well. I never owned one but over the years I had friends or family owning about 7-8 of they cars. I got to drive most of them as well. I also followed the Penskie AMC racing effort, including NASCAR with the Matador!

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/23/11 9:12 a.m.

Excellent! I've been following the build on your blog, nice to see it out on the track. (BTW, you really need to introduce everyone to your killer Yellow Javelin). Any ideas on paint for this one? I'd keep running AI anyways, it will pick up when other people see the class growing. I know there's some cars based up here that will travel down to Laguna Seca and Willow.

Varkwso
Varkwso HalfDork
11/23/11 9:29 a.m.
Ian F wrote:
asifnyc wrote: Unfortunately no one is really racing that class here in northern California ...
Really? I find that morethan a little surprising. Definitely a cool build. I didn't know you could build up an older car to race in that class. Such news will likely send me off searching for an old Mopar... Oh yeah... "Paging Javelin! Paging Javelin!!!"

NASA-SE has a American Iron - Vintage class..

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
11/23/11 10:24 a.m.

Javelin is Michael Pinto for those didn't know

asifnyc
asifnyc New Reader
11/23/11 10:51 a.m.

In reply to ckosacranoid: unfortunately CMC (camaro/mustang challenge) doesn't let any other kind of cars into their show :( I mean they are in the same run group as AI so I would be on track with them but I wouldn't be actually racing them.

asifnyc
asifnyc New Reader
11/23/11 10:54 a.m.

In reply to Ian F: participation in various classes can vary wildly from one part of the country to the other. out here everyone is in CMC2 or spec E30 or spec miata... in 2011 not one car ran an AI race in northern california. there are a handful of guys (five) running something called AIX Outlaw but they are mostly socal.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
11/23/11 10:56 a.m.
aussiesmg wrote: Javelin is Michael Pinto for those didn't know

Famous Vibraphonist Michael Pinto?

asifnyc
asifnyc New Reader
11/23/11 11:00 a.m.
Javelin wrote: (BTW, you really need to introduce everyone to your killer Yellow Javelin).

the yellow Javelin is what started it all. I've owned it since 1992. Ran 7 track days with it last year. there's tons of pics/videos on my blog: asifnyc.com

also, I put together a youtube playlist of all my race Javelin related build videos: race Javelin build playlist

Javelin
11/23/11 11:02 a.m.

That's what my signature says, so it must be true! Wait, a signature isn't supposed to have your name!?!!? I'm supposed to hide behind an anonymous username and never venture outside!! Oh, the humanity!!!

asifnyc
asifnyc New Reader
1/7/12 12:59 a.m.

getting close to "go" time here... I bought a truck/trailer and the car is in the body shop and will be painted by wed. next week. first race is Feb. 11/12 at Infineon! more info on my blog: http://asifnyc.com/?p=1245

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
1/7/12 3:54 a.m.
Javelin wrote:
That's what my signature says, so it must be true! Wait, a signature isn't supposed to have your name!?!!? I'm supposed to hide behind an anonymous username and never venture outside!! Oh, the humanity!!!

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/7/12 4:01 a.m.

I sure do like those front fenders...

ST_ZX2
ST_ZX2 HalfDork
1/7/12 10:47 a.m.

Those wheels look SCHWEET!

asifnyc
asifnyc New Reader
1/12/12 12:22 a.m.

car is painted and I'm picking it up tomorrow. I'm doing another shake down at Infineon this Friday! really hoping I can get under a 2:00 lap... here's a teaser pic of the paint.

Javelin
1/12/12 11:31 a.m.

I see Sunoco Blue!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Reader
1/12/12 2:36 p.m.

good to see another musclecar guy over here, especially one with odd iron. i run a mopar, so you are definately not alone.

i swear, ive seen your build thread on another forum. PT.com maybe?

Michael

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/12/12 4:23 p.m.

Very nice... Please keep us posted...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lrdN7rdTqd0v66PeBsHUPrvZfwMlJO35q32gho2VzWAERx0vNMEu2kiEiysCBd0f