1 2
ST_ZX2
ST_ZX2 HalfDork
1/12/12 4:30 p.m.
Javelin wrote: I see Sunoco Blue!

The question is will you see Frost White and Matador Red as well?

asifnyc
asifnyc New Reader
1/18/12 1:38 a.m.
ST_ZX2 wrote:
Javelin wrote: I see Sunoco Blue!
The question is will you see Frost White and Matador Red as well?

the answer is no :)

latest video from this past Friday (sorry for the less than optimal camera placement). a write up of the session and a new video are here: blog post

ST_ZX2
ST_ZX2 HalfDork
1/18/12 2:57 p.m.

Car looks nice!

asifnyc
asifnyc New Reader
2/10/12 10:39 p.m.

thanks! first race weekend is NOW. Feb 11/12 at Infineon.

In reply to ST_ZX2:

asifnyc
asifnyc New Reader
2/15/12 5:12 p.m.

crazy first race weekend... there's a write up on my blog: http://asifnyc.com/?p=1276

and video of Sunday's race...

http://youtu.be/5mCRL6oj69E

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/15/12 5:25 p.m.

Man, that paint scheme is wicked!

Sorry to hear about all of the troubles, hopefully you can get them sorted. Could the vibration be a bad flywheel or balancer?

CLynn85
CLynn85 Reader
2/15/12 9:12 p.m.

Rock on, nice to see some AMC love on the track.

asifnyc
asifnyc New Reader
2/15/12 11:01 p.m.

In reply to Javelin: hey Michael, I don't think it's the flywheel or balancer but I really have no idea. I'm considering putting it on a chassis dyno. If I'm right about the exhaust (or something) touching the chassis it might show up on the dyno. if it doesn't show up on the dyno I guess that would eliminate the flywheel/balancer...

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/16/12 9:11 a.m.

Just a thought. AMC's are very sensitive to engine balance issues, so it's worth at least ruling out.

ohms
ohms New Reader
2/16/12 9:59 a.m.

awesome to see ya here - i followed your build over on the nasa forums (i think that was the place), and i have the same aspirations for my camaro as you carried out on your jav

also, the first time i saw your build thread, i flipped out cuz i thought you might be my cousin haha (same first name, and also into classics and we're all in nyc)

asifnyc
asifnyc New Reader
3/6/12 10:36 p.m.

In reply to ohms: wait, you have a cousin named Asif?

if anyone is thinking of coming out to Infineon this weekend for the Javelin's 2nd race weekend (March 10/11), here's the schedule:

Sat March 10 8:05am warmup (20 mins) 10:25am qual (20 mins) 2:10pm race (30 mins)

Sun March 11 2pm warmup (20 mins) 3:25pm qual (20 mins) 5:20pm race (30 mins)

also, here's a writeup of what I've been up to with the car: http://asifnyc.com/?p=1284

ohms
ohms Reader
3/9/12 2:45 p.m.

In reply to asifnyc:

heh, yes i do. he has a brother name named Saffraz (who knows if im spelling that right). I've only seen them like 2 or 3x ever in my life though heh (theyre both into cars also)

asifnyc
asifnyc New Reader
12/30/15 7:38 p.m.

It’s been a long time since I’ve updated this thread but the race Javelin is still a “thing”. Been through a lot of ups and downs with this car but am finally getting somewhere and looking for a little advice from the hive…

first to bring everyone up to date:

built the car for NASA American Iron and raced the car a few times in 2012. Blew up the motor. Rebuilt the motor. Then in Oct. of 2012 I wrecked the car in a towing accident.

Had the car cut in half and a “new” rear clip welded in. After the repairs, tested the car and confirmed it still “worked”. Then repainted/stickered the car.

Then redid the front suspension (and rear springs) and got the car 2” lower than it had been.

Then a bunch of testing, working out bugs and finally ran it again at a race weekend in Oct. of this year (2015) and got my new fast lap.

Now that winter is here I’m tearing into the car again and trying to make a front air dam/splitter. That’s where you come in. Looking for any tips, advice, instructions, links to “how to videos”, etc…

Pics below show what I’m currently playing around with. I’ve swapped my steel bumper to a fiberglass bumper and made some new brackets to hold the bumper (and ultimately the whole front fascia). The foam board masquerading as a splitter in the pic below is ¾” insulation from Lowes. $8 for a 4x8 sheet. I’ve seen a youtube video (Speed Academy) where they took foam (what I got might not be the right kind but maybe it is) and wrapped it in carbon fiber fabric (wet layup, like fiberglass, they didn’t use a vacuum bag) to make a splitter. So I’m thinking of trying the same thing with fiberglass (read cheaper). As for the air dam itself the rough plan is to use stuff (foam, clay, cardboard, mdf, ?) to create a front dam that incorporates the bumper. Then pull a mold from that and finally layup an actual 1-piece bumper dam and then have the splitter mount to that.

Only problem with the above is that I don’t know what I’m doing. I’ve done some fiberglass repairs but never made a mold. Also, not exactly sure how to handle the “interface” between this piece and the fender. Goal would be to have a couple more receiver mounts (like the ones in the pic below) so say, four total mounts like that that can support the whole shebang… I’d drill holes through the mounts/tubes and secure with pip pins. So you pull the pins and slide it out to remove it. If I completely block off the front I’m sure I will need brake ducts (currently not running any) so not exactly sure the best way to handle that as I want minimum hassle when putting the nose on/off. It will need to come off always to get it on the trailer…

There is an “easy” button here which is that I don’t try to build this and instead just re-install the stock valance/spoiler (with added extensions) and then fiberglass the spoiler and bumper into one unit (close up seams, etc, so the only opening is for directing air to the radiator.

So anybody been down this road before? Thanks for reading!

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
12/30/15 9:32 p.m.

You'll find a bunch of aero stuff in the last couple pages of my project thread here https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/70-firebird-the-14-car-performance-therapy-project/72356/page8/

I've made an air dam extension, splitter, brake ducts, and a bunch of other things to help cooling (I noticed your pusher fan) and reduce lift/increase down force. I'm currently working on a full length under tray and some other things.

jimbbski
jimbbski Dork
12/31/15 3:05 p.m.

You can use this kind of foam if you use epoxy resin and not polyester resin. The solvents in the poly will start to break down/dissolve the pink foam. The epoxy won't. I know this from first hand experience. Here's a link to the correct type. It's available almost anywhere. The epoxy used to make bar tops is what you want and I know that HD, Lowe's, & Menards all carry it.

http://www.amazon.com/AeroMarine-Clear-Epoxy-Resin-Counter/dp/B0047R0J44

The only downside of epoxy is that it takes longer to set up and harden. More like 24 hours vrs 30-40 minutes for poly.

asifnyc
asifnyc New Reader
12/31/15 10:51 p.m.

In reply to jimbbski:

thanks for that!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JCzCiFL9lK1CXUD4DkcgdJy3azelF4wZv0TwZHbEU5eF6QEQh7dQRuX4lgMSa23W