hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass New Reader
6/18/20 6:19 a.m.

Im thinking of getting some inexpensive racing gloves before my track day event in a few weeks, some Alpinestars Tech-1 Race gloves for $45.

Im looking at their sizing chart and measured my hand as they said and it's just under 8 1/2" circumference, which puts it in the 8-8.5 range for Medium size.

But should I get the 8.5-9" Large size, or stick with the Medium size?

I wish I could try these on, but I have no one near me that sells these

I was surprised by the size, I'd tried on some other brand recently and was a Large or XL (the XL wasnt terribly large on me), so to hear Im a medium in A-* was surprising

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
6/18/20 6:30 a.m.

What ends up getting people 99% of the time when gloves don't fit them is finger length, and that's not much more than a guess until you try them on. If you've got long spider fingers, then probably size up, if you've got meat paws, then go with their recommendation. 

hybridmomentspass
6/18/20 6:44 a.m.

Id say my fingers are pretty normal ha

Really wish I could try them on, but, as stated, no one near me to buy from

There is a store close by (Im in Welcome NC ,home of Richard Childress Racing), Velocita, and tried on their gloves recently, but I cant justify the cost of their gloves right now (130).

jimbbski
jimbbski SuperDork
6/18/20 6:37 p.m.

If you only doing a track day and not racing with all that entails and all the safety stuff too.  Why "racing gloves" ?  Any  snug fitting leather gloves will do fine.  The reason racing gloves are labeled that is that they need to meet the safety specs. for fire protection with a SFI rating, etc.  If you not going to be wearing a "racing suit" there's no reason to spend the money on expensive gloves.  Just saying.

Rodan
Rodan Dork
6/18/20 7:40 p.m.

I've got a pair of Racequip 351 single layer  (SFI 3.3/1) gloves that I find very comfortable. ~$40 from a variety of retailers, perfect for HPDE.

The above Racequip in L are a perfect fit for me, and for another data point, Mechanix 'fastfit' XL are a perfect fit for me.

If you can't try gloves on before buying, buy them from a place where you can return them.

RobertElder
RobertElder New Reader
6/19/20 8:42 p.m.

Order both sizes and return those that don't fit! :D

sergio
sergio Reader
6/19/20 9:23 p.m.

Www.k1racegear.com has some nice auto racing and go cart gloves. I have the $79 auto racing gloves, I like them a lot. If there's a track near you they probably have the cart gloves you can try on. I had to order the auto racing ones. 

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
6/19/20 9:24 p.m.

My SFI gloves are a little long in some of the fingers. I have never had an issue with it. I'd rather a glove that fits snug than one with the correct finger length.

But I will echo the others and ask, why?

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones HalfDork
6/19/20 11:24 p.m.

The alpine stars have a really nice tacky grip surface that aids in steering wheel grip.  It's hot & you're nervous - hands gonna sweat.

One other thing to add - be sure to get bright colored gloves.  That is just about your only communication means to corner workers and other drivers.

iceracer
iceracer MegaDork
6/20/20 11:44 a.m.

For go karts I wore a pair of leather gloves available anyware.

For track days I wore a pair of clean "mechanics gloves"   They had good grip and had a bright red back.

No need for those expensive stuff.

iceracer
iceracer MegaDork
6/20/20 11:50 a.m.

For fitment, find a place that sells gloves.    A sport shop or maybe hunting shop I'm sure sell gloves.  Even an auto parts .

Thing is,  You have to get off your but and go to these places.

hybridmomentspass
6/21/20 9:42 p.m.
iceracer said:

For fitment, find a place that sells gloves.    A sport shop or maybe hunting shop I'm sure sell gloves.  Even an auto parts .

Thing is,  You have to get off your but and go to these places.

You do realize that different companies have different sizing, yes?
And did you read the thread, especially the part where I tried some on? Yeah, so I was an XL in one brand, and, according to their site, a M in another.

hybridmomentspass
6/21/20 9:43 p.m.
buzzboy said:

My SFI gloves are a little long in some of the fingers. I have never had an issue with it. I'd rather a glove that fits snug than one with the correct finger length.

But I will echo the others and ask, why?

Like Kendall said below you, I wonder/worry about sweaty hands on a hot southern day when Im nervous.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nLfBDyVFNdHlCNlQieT6DhkZK0yQ99T8nOJJgL6bEweChyq6A3drJiosOUIUyckX