1 2
ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid HalfDork
5/13/09 7:26 p.m.

i wanted to say thanks to the magazine for permission to use stuff from the magazine. I went to anime central this past weekend and put on a panel called "you have seen racing in anime? now do motorsports in real life." I had a 9 page packet for everyone that showed up and had more people then iI expacted. I think there might have been about 20 people who showed up. I think there might have been at least one member i think from here..but dont quote me on that. The way i laid the panel out was talking about getting invovled in different types of events everything from spector to helping at events to racing of all kinds. The events that talked about that had people realy laughing where the challange, the babe rally, and the 24 hours of lemons....the lemons was the best though... the cool thing is I had a women bring cookies...they where really good.... i did have a couple of people walk out cause they thought the panel was going to invovle more about anime...i did metion all kinds of anime, movies, and games that have been popular over the years. when i did talk about the challange they sucker vette and the bat van everyone thought where really cool though. i did make mention of lawn mower racing, not much comments though, the demo derby, figure 8, and bus racing and combine derbying where really out there for reactions though... I did mention the zine many times and about the how cool the message boards on here are......is this a good thing or very, very bad thing.... I was hoping to get it on tape to share but a couple of friends did not come to help out like i was hoping. but it did go well and hopfully we can see a couple of new people on here from it.

Thanks Per for letting me use your stuff and I very much want to thank everyone that wrote some articls in the zine for ideas and help. I did use the layout from the one aritcle from spector to racing as the base and then added lots of stuff for more events like off road, demo derby, lawn mowers, online racing and a few others. I did a quick one or two lines telling about the event, what was needed, cost, damage, and contect info. If anyone want to see my notes i would be more then happy to share them. i need to go though and refine a bit more after the fact...sigh...

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
5/14/09 9:22 a.m.

Hi Jason,

Glad it went well!

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid HalfDork
5/14/09 3:43 p.m.

thanks per.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt HalfDork
5/14/09 7:53 p.m.

Sounds like a cool presentation. Bet a lot of Initial D fans showed up.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter HalfDork
5/14/09 8:28 p.m.

Initial D, Wangan Midnight, Speed Racer... what else is there?

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
5/14/09 8:30 p.m.

future GPX cyber formula, eX-driver...

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter HalfDork
5/14/09 8:52 p.m.
Apexcarver wrote: future GPX cyber formula, eX-driver...

I've never heard of any of those...

...damn, maybe I am getting old

RexSeven
RexSeven HalfDork
5/14/09 9:25 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote:
I've never heard of any of those... ...damn, maybe I *am* getting old

They're both kind of obscure. Future GPX Cyber Formula is about Formula racing in the future. I've never watched it.

eX-Driver is also set in the future, where cars drive themselves. It's about a group of drivers piloting conventional vehicles who's mission is to stop haywire driverless cars. I've seen the first two episodes- there's a Lotus Europa, a WRC-spec GC Impreza, a Group 4-spec Lancia Stratos, and a Caterham 7.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Reader
5/14/09 11:47 p.m.

Wangan Midnight. The grip run instead of the drift run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a53JyHW8IZY

And it's got a Z in it. One a guy my age calls a real Z, an S30.

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid HalfDork
5/15/09 4:08 p.m.

i really should find where i can down load wangon midnight, it looks cool froom what i seen. I am not sure how many D fans there where, but i was working on more of introing people into getting into motorsports then anime, i used it for an opeing since it was an anime con...

someone was talking about some different anime about racing. here is a list that i found doing a web search the other day. http://www.anime-planet.com/tags/Racing/anime

it list an idea of what the animes are and has some pics, and midnight wagon looks liks it could be really cool to watch. ex-drivers is really cool to the point that we did a rpg game based on the anime for a while, we set our group in the windy city and had lots of cool old school mucle cars....

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
5/15/09 4:17 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote:
I've never heard of any of those... ...damn, maybe I *am* getting old

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo0q0nzFhzg

cyber formula

ex-driver http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVOnHqxiDQk

look on wikipedia for more info

RexSeven
RexSeven HalfDork
5/15/09 4:27 p.m.
ckosacranoid wrote: i really should find where i can down load wangon midnight, it looks cool froom what i seen. I am not sure how many D fans there where, but i was working on more of introing people into getting into motorsports then anime, i used it for an opeing since it was an anime con...

Don't know of anyplace you can download them, but ovguide.net has links to streaming fansubbed episodes. Click on the "Anime" link at the left, then type "Wangan Midnight" into the search bar, and you'll get a bunch of sites that stream it. There are Firefox add-ons that allow you to download the streams as .flv (Flash video) files, but you'll need to poke around Download.com for a .flv player or converter.

I've seen the first few episodes. The CGI cars look much better than in the early Initial D episodes. Besides the Devil Z, there's also a black Porsche 964, a black R32 GT-R, and a white Testarossa that looks nothing like a Testarossa. Story is meh, be we don't watch it for the story, now do we?

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
5/15/09 5:15 p.m.
RexSeven wrote:
ckosacranoid wrote: i really should find where i can down load wangon midnight, it looks cool froom what i seen. I am not sure how many D fans there where, but i was working on more of introing people into getting into motorsports then anime, i used it for an opeing since it was an anime con...
Don't know of anyplace you can download them, but ovguide.net has links to streaming fansubbed episodes. Click on the "Anime" link at the left, then type "Wangan Midnight" into the search bar, and you'll get a bunch of sites that stream it. There are Firefox add-ons that allow you to download the streams as .flv (Flash video) files, but you'll need to poke around Download.com for a .flv player or converter. I've seen the first few episodes. The CGI cars look much better than in the early Initial D episodes. Besides the Devil Z, there's also a black Porsche 964, a black R32 GT-R, and a white Testarossa that looks nothing like a Testarossa. Story is meh, be we don't watch it for the story, now do we?

http://wanganmidnightanime.blogspot.com/

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Reader
5/16/09 11:56 p.m.
RexSeven wrote:
Don't know of anyplace you can download them, but ovguide.net has links to streaming fansubbed episodes. Click on the "Anime" link at the left, then type "Wangan Midnight" into the search bar, and you'll get a bunch of sites that stream it. There are Firefox add-ons that allow you to download the streams as .flv (Flash video) files, but you'll need to poke around Download.com for a .flv player or converter. I've seen the first few episodes. The CGI cars look much better than in the early Initial D episodes. Besides the Devil Z, there's also a black Porsche 964, a black R32 GT-R, and a white Testarossa that looks nothing like a Testarossa. Story is meh, be we don't watch it for the story, now do we?

ROFL! I'm actually a fan of Initial D...I'm an older guy and stumbled across anime at work (I work in TV). Someone suggested Initial D to me after he discovered I'm a gearhead. IMO, it was the first thing since Steve McQueen's Le Mans movie that even started to "explain" our sport to folks that live outside it.

That being said, I like Wangan Midnight because those folks can actually draw. As a racing fan, I love Initial D. As an anime fan, I have to admit it's a stinking mess.

Mogi Natsuki's got a nice ass, tho...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNu16Ofwb-w

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
5/17/09 1:13 a.m.

Initial D isnt really the best explination of racing until 4th stage.

I hear rumors that 5th stage may be coming in the next year or 2, I;m gonna have to keep my eyes peeled

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid HalfDork
5/17/09 2:52 p.m.

thanks i will be checking wagon out this coming week.

yes, i like intal d, but the girl that tak dates really is an idiot though. the blue impact girls are much cooler though.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter HalfDork
5/17/09 3:48 p.m.

The art in Initial D gets better every "stage". The same guys who did 4th stage are the same ones that do/did Wangan Midnight.... or so I've been told. I believe it, too, considering just how similar the art and vehicles are.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Reader
5/18/09 10:54 a.m.
Apexcarver wrote: Initial D isnt really the best explination of racing until 4th stage.

Well, maybe not to the likes of us, but there's a lot of basic things there about our culture that my non-gearhead buddies found interesting. Even something as simple as referring to cars by the chassis design instead of the model name. First time they started throwing "86" and "S13" around, I started laughing. Someone asked me why, I said "..we really talk like that.."

Apexcarver wrote: I hear rumors that 5th stage may be coming in the next year or 2, I;m gonna have to keep my eyes peeled

Thanks for the tip!

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid HalfDork
5/21/09 2:33 p.m.

yep it is very true....like talking about mopars by body code, or gm..or ford....

like a.b.c.e.f. bodes....

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Reader
5/21/09 10:39 p.m.
ckosacranoid wrote: yep it is very true....like talking about mopars by body code, or gm..or ford.... like a.b.c.e.f. bodes....

The whole experience was kinda funny. It was my buddy's anime club viewing. I let the other guys explain the anime stuff to the folks in the crowd who were new to it, but even the other anime guys looked to me to explain the car stuff.

"..no, the translation's wrong. Not tires from the 1970s. 70 series tires." And then they had to pause it long enough for me to explain aspect ratio...

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid HalfDork
5/27/09 6:18 p.m.

mmmmmhhhhhhhhh......understanding dawns in the minds of now one at home......

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid HalfDork
5/29/09 4:05 p.m.

cool.....?

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Reader
5/29/09 10:46 p.m.

ckosa, "understanding" of what? I'm missing what you're talking about, man..

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid HalfDork
5/30/09 3:40 p.m.

it was ment to be a joke that no one at home understood...but since i can not type to say my life it went no where..... besides sometimes i type tthings to just to up my post whoreing count...like now.....

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Reader
5/30/09 9:48 p.m.
ckosacranoid wrote: it was ment to be a joke that no one at home understood...but since i can not type to say my life it went no where..... besides sometimes i type tthings to just to up my post whoreing count...like now.....

Oh, OK. I just figured for a minute it was from a show I hadn't seen..or from a fansub translated a little better than TokyoPop's commercial releases..

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qF0actRbQG2rd0nrkDG1LTmK6cLz8b6UDRx714XG2yPUQ58p3zDHTkMlAvOhkbct