John Brown SuperDork
Oct. 19, 2009 9:52 a.m.

Suppose you wanted to replace a 110hp lump with something else ranging from 180hp-300hp but more importantly you would like a ton of torque as well, you have no issues making nearly any engine fit in the engine bay BUT you want to do the swap within a very small budget.

What is the EASIEST FWD engine to use when swapping into another FWD chassis?

I am considering a PreOBD Buick 3.8L (1989-1994) that would eventually get unnaturally aspirated.

What ideas do you have for EASY to wire engine swaps?

RossD HalfDork
Oct. 19, 2009 9:58 a.m.

"tons of torque" means to me Powerstroke/Duramax/Cummins with a bigger turbo and a LP tank on board.

Keith SuperDork
Oct. 19, 2009 10:00 a.m.

SBC? If you go with a carb and dizzy, the wiring doesn't get much easier.

andrave HalfDork
Oct. 19, 2009 10:04 a.m.

sbc

John Brown SuperDork
Oct. 19, 2009 10:45 a.m.

Let me add one parameter that was omitted.

FWD.

andrave HalfDork
Oct. 19, 2009 10:55 a.m.

quad 4?

Nissan SR20? (jim wolf has those thoroughly cracked and could sell you a plug and play ecu deal)

Northstar v8 (the sand rail guys get them to run, and they are dirt cheap)

unevolved New Reader
Oct. 19, 2009 11:11 a.m.

I'd look into a Mazda KL-DE. They're very common and can be found for $100 if you look hard enough, and they're 60-degree 2.5L V6s with an aluminum block, 24 valves, DOHC, and very oversquare. Very compact and FWD as well.

Appleseed Dork
Oct. 19, 2009 11:26 a.m.

LS4? Not sure on the electronics. Northstar, perhaps?

BoneYard_Racing New Reader
Oct. 19, 2009 11:29 a.m.

2.0/2.4 chrysler 2.2/2.5 chrysler

93celicaGT2 SuperDork
Oct. 19, 2009 11:31 a.m.
unevolved wrote: I'd look into a Mazda KL-DE. They're very common and can be found for $100 if you look hard enough, and they're 60-degree 2.5L V6s with an aluminum block, 24 valves, DOHC, and very oversquare. Very compact and FWD as well.

This. Great motor.

John Brown SuperDork
Oct. 19, 2009 11:43 a.m.

Great motor, but how hard are they to wire?

Oct. 19, 2009 11:43 a.m.

Northstar? Whatever the V8 was they stuck in the Malibu?

mw Reader
Oct. 19, 2009 11:52 a.m.

Mazda KLDE

I have one with a 5speed, ecu, and wiring harness that I'd let go for $300

Keith SuperDork
Oct. 19, 2009 11:58 a.m.

Toronado. Get one of the older ones with a carb and a dizzy.

Is wiring really that hard?

93celicaGT2 SuperDork
Oct. 19, 2009 12:07 p.m.
mw wrote: Mazda KLDE I have one with a 5speed, ecu, and wiring harness that I'd let go for $300

Hell, if you weren't over the border, i'd buy that.

John Brown SuperDork
Oct. 19, 2009 12:13 p.m.
mw wrote: Mazda KLDE I have one with a 5speed, ecu, and wiring harness that I'd let go for $300

I will PM you.

alfadriver HalfDork
Oct. 19, 2009 12:14 p.m.
John Brown wrote: Suppose you wanted to replace a 110hp lump with something else ranging from 180hp-300hp but more importantly you would like a ton of torque as well, you have no issues making nearly any engine fit in the engine bay BUT you want to do the swap within a very small budget. What is the EASIEST FWD engine to use when swapping into another FWD chassis? I am considering a PreOBD Buick 3.8L (1989-1994) that would eventually get unnaturally aspirated. What ideas do you have for EASY to wire engine swaps?

It depends on who's doing it.

If it were Andy, well, I'd tell him to go ahead and stuff the big block into the mini anyway he sees fit.

OTOH, for a Mr Quasi, it would be more on the line- don't even change the oil filter- you may not get done.

Just sayin.

Eric

John Brown SuperDork
Oct. 19, 2009 12:24 p.m.
alfadriver wrote:
John Brown wrote: Suppose you wanted to replace a 110hp lump with something else ranging from 180hp-300hp but more importantly you would like a ton of torque as well, you have no issues making nearly any engine fit in the engine bay BUT you want to do the swap within a very small budget. What is the EASIEST FWD engine to use when swapping into another FWD chassis? I am considering a PreOBD Buick 3.8L (1989-1994) that would eventually get unnaturally aspirated. What ideas do you have for EASY to wire engine swaps?

It depends on who's doing it.

If it were Andy, well, I'd tell him to go ahead and stuff the big block into the mini anyway he sees fit.

OTOH, for a Mr Quasi, it would be more on the line- don't even change the oil filter- you may not get done.

Just sayin.

Eric

Somewhere in between, the Audi tech that took the black Beetle carcass when I was done getting parts from it.

stuart in mn SuperDork
Oct. 19, 2009 12:28 p.m.

Aren't there a lot of modifications available for the 3.8? I know a number of guys are drag racing late model Grand Prixs, etc. with the supercharged version of that engine.

RossD HalfDork
Oct. 19, 2009 12:41 p.m.

what about the turbo'ed version (3.1L?) You should be able to turn the boost up pretty good.

andrave HalfDork
Oct. 19, 2009 1:07 p.m.

the sand rail guys also use the supercharged pontiac/buick motor... I have no idea if they are running factory ecu's or stand alone or what. they've also been showing up in some of the midengined "rock buggies" lately..

tuna55 Reader
Oct. 19, 2009 1:20 p.m.

You didn't specify some important bits, but I will give it a go

The small LS variant they put in the malibu SS with a edelbrock carb and intake and MSD box. That stuff is pretty pricy, but it makes the same power as the injected route, and it can be done very easily. The downsides are that it's a carb, and it's (I think) an automatic.

andrave HalfDork
Oct. 19, 2009 2:10 p.m.

how would you control the auto if you carb'd the motor?

andrave HalfDork
Oct. 19, 2009 2:10 p.m.

how would you control the auto if you carb'd the motor?

njansenv Reader
Oct. 19, 2009 5:33 p.m.

SRT-4/PT Cruiser turbo. Stock turbo = excellent response, 300+ wtq without much effort. I giggled every time I took the 1g ACR for a spin.... I miss that car....sometimes.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Vintage Views: GMC Syclone and Typhoon

12 hours ago in Articles

All-wheel drive, turbo power and a Q-ship’s stealth.

Classic Motorsports Mitty Presented by Hagerty Celebrates Porsche

1 day ago in News

Gearhead heaven? We think it looks something like this.

First Drive: Turbo ND MX-5

3 days ago in News

We hit the track with Flyin' Miata's latest power adder.

This Weekend at the Mitty: The Ultimate Auto Festival

4 days ago in News

Gates open this Friday for the Classic Motorsports Mitty at Road Atlanta.

ND Miata Turbo Kits Now Available!

4 days ago in News

Add 70 horsepower and 70 ft.-lbs!

What's the Plan, Man?

5 days ago in Articles

Thoughts on our racing plan for the year.

Meet the Rebels Who Started the Cannonball Run

6 days ago in News

Relive those desperado days through movie excerpts, and hear the real facts and wild stories from the legends themselves.

Up for Auction: All of Level 5 Motorsports's Hardware

6 days ago in News

It's a pro race team part out.

Can You Really Live With a Low-Buck Porsche 911?

6 days ago in News

For the past two years, on of our forum regulars has been chronicling his life with a Porsche 996.

Project Turbo Miata: Fire Fighting

1 week ago in Project Cars

We transfer the fire system to our new Miata.

Reader's Ride of the Week: Autocross Abomination

1 week ago in News

Classic British styling with a rotary engine?

AMX-Cessive

1 week ago in Articles

If you’re going to host the search for the ultimate street car, perhaps you should drive one yourself.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
powFbEWhRd8aGZbJbCxOyJITjT490kym