Doc06
Doc06
8/24/16 9:48 a.m.

I auto cross an 06 mustang, but want to try rally cross. Even though it is only August, the end is in sight for auto cross here in New England. Rally cross looks like a blast. My "problem" is I want to not destroy my focus svt. I would love to have my focus be more fun here in the snow, but I have a beater mustang for the snow. Who rally crosses, and how do you keep the cars. Up. I have yet to replace much on the focus, but just spoke with someone who got rid of his as he was having a hard time getting parts. What do you advise? Doc

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/24/16 9:53 a.m.

use beater mustang for rally x?

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/24/16 10:05 a.m.

The important thing is to get to an event. You can take the Focus or the Mustang, and odds are good that if you don't over-drive every corner, if a car breaks it was going to break anyhow.

The beater Mustang will be a laugh-riot. The SVT will set you up to take almost any FWD car to an event and carry over your skills.

I'd also like to point out that winter driving in New England will probably destroy your SVT faster than rallycross unless you wash it three times a week.

Doc06
Doc06 New Reader
8/24/16 10:25 a.m.

Thanks Guys, Rally crossing a mustang sounds like fun to me. I love taking a beater mustang out in the snow. I also try and use the beater for a daily commute. RWD in snow can be a blast. My mustang that I auto cross has only seen snow twice by accident. I wanted to stay RWD for rally cross, just for the fun factor.
Thanks

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/24/16 10:53 a.m.

My SVT focus rallyx's exceptionally well. In stock form you can take just about any other FWD out there.

GRM is running a big series on rallyx SVTs right now...

Finally, while there are some parts that are NLA for the SVT focus, I have yet to find one that there isn't a suitable replacement (ie. there is a SVTF-only oil cooler, but the one from a zetec escape is readily available and works with the addition of a $2 90-deg elbow).

Replacing the WHOLE suspension is incredibly cheap at about $300 from ford racing.

My suggestion is to try an event with the mustang and with the SVTF. See which you like better. Don't be afraid to rallyx either car.

Doc06
Doc06 New Reader
8/24/16 10:59 a.m.

In reply to Robbie:

$300??? I need to look into that!

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/24/16 12:01 p.m.
Doc06 wrote: In reply to Robbie: $300??? I need to look into that!

So it would be good to check out the actual ford racing catalog, but I think there are two options: M-3000-ZX3 and M-3000-ZX3A. The "non-A" is a little cheaper and is for converting a non SVT to SVT spec. So it comes with unassembled front struts and a rear sway bar. The "A" kit is more aimed at replacing suspension as it comes with assembled front struts (and all the associated strut top mounts and such) but no sway bar.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
39MhHddNZC6a3BJyORWsIQvc6zbQr9oVcfm4EsnLWje2EJnecU1CZDKNdyPAUL4r