The Staff of Motorsport Marketing
The Staff of Motorsport Marketing Writer
6/21/18 12:30 p.m.

Like stories like this? You’ll see every article as soon as it's published by reading the print edition of Grassroots Motorsports. Subscribe now.

Story by Norman Garrett • Photos as Credited

Broken cars whisper to me. I’ve owned some 60-odd cars in my life, and fully half of them did not run when I bought them. Of course, most …

Read the rest of the story

hotchocolate
hotchocolate Reader
6/21/18 9:39 p.m.

Great article! I just tried my hand at auctions this week. I missed it by $50. (128i with sport package). This has given me great insight going forward. Thank you for sharing your experience. 

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS Dork
6/22/18 4:42 a.m.

This was a great article. I am going to be using some of this for a non profit organization coming along.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Digital Experience Director
6/22/18 1:18 p.m.

Love this article!

kevinduffy86
kevinduffy86
6/22/18 1:52 p.m.

I purchased a 1987 Porsche 924S with 46K miles for $900 as a totaled insurance car.  The car suffered a fuel line leak in the rubber pressure hose going to the injector rail, and the underhood wiring harness, rubber bits, and a spot on the hood were damaged.  I had to replace the bits that burned and repaint the hood - that's it.  I also replaced the front seats with matching power seats from a later 944 just for effect, although it was not needed.

In the end I got a car that was pretty nice.  The photo is from the 70th Birthday of Porsche last week at the dealership in Orlando.  There is a complete writeup on the project at https://924s944.com/2016/07/12/insurance-company-junk/

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
6/22/18 2:45 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard : I’d like to blame you guys for the hours I’ve spent on Co-part and IAA  sites finding pieces of my next race car.  

I’d like to but the truth is I’ve enjoyed the process.  

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid SuperDork
6/26/18 1:01 p.m.

damn you for giving me ideas for this. I might have to really start looking on their for the next few rides. i know I think when I read this last time I singed up for copoart....damn you guys for ruining my life when it comes to cars. I can not look at super cars or other high end stuff with out thinking about beating them challenge style.

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
6/26/18 9:03 p.m.

Regardless of the color in the photograph  I’m surprised at how few seem to share my excitement over the chance to buy cars fresh from the wrecking yards.  

I spend far too much time  on those sites selecting, calculating, deciding, occasionally bidding. 

Looking for a particular model but often distracted and dreaming of others.  

I look not just for a car but parts for a car.  If I can buy that one I’ll take the brakes and supercharger off it and still be able to scrap it, or maybe sell the remains to the guy who specializes in that brand.  

Or maybe combine two cars into one whole car?  Take that flood car and that wrecked car use the wiring and soft good from the wreck and the body and other pieces from the flood car to come up with a really cool whole car

hotchocolate
hotchocolate Reader
10/6/18 9:29 p.m.

So this happened.  First vehicle i have purchased without an inspection or test drive. 1997 LS400. I bid 275 and forgot about it. I ended up winning. With fees and registration it came to about 675. Not sure what I am going to do with it since i wasnt expecting to win--but I digress. It has 212K miles and moves under its own power. It needs a front fender some brake and exhaust work and a hunting idle issue fixed (iacv?). Timing belt is also due.  Heat works and AC seems to work. Interior is about a 5/10 and it has some rust on the rear wheel arches. Thanks to you all I checked another thing off my car related list. Obligatory craigslist style picture attached. 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
10/8/18 9:29 a.m.

In reply to hotchocolate :

Dude, enjoy a pimpin' ride, and when it needs more than you're willing to spend on it, you can make good money parting it out.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/8/18 10:00 a.m.

I deleted my three posts re the photoshopped photo. After reading them they really did not add any content to this thread. 

leec
leec New Reader
3/31/23 1:35 p.m.

It's fun to do!   Bought an insuranced totaled one. Fixed it, had state inspect it to be street legal, given a salvaged title and new VIN for a 1999 Miata sport, prepped it to be legal for showroom stock, got a log book, ran a few regionals to test it out, never trailered it and drove it to Summit Point, WV for the 2000 SCCA 12 Hour, won SSB and drove it home!   

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Pzilnpc4bKtE8nZORGS7wL21OAxEB4NGz2HZnfetrj1q6rTFtWyESymajbuzIxnE