1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
1/25/19 7:26 a.m.
Tyler H said:

If you could instantly upvote or downvote drivers and their score was prominently displayed on their car in real time, my how things would change.

We have the technology.

And everyone on here would end up with a massively negative score as we attempt to late apex the onramp!!

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
1/25/19 7:31 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:
Tyler H said:

If you could instantly upvote or downvote drivers and their score was prominently displayed on their car in real time, my how things would change.

We have the technology.

And everyone on here would end up with a massively negative score as we attempt to late apex the onramp!!

In a crew cab long bed work truck.

rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
1/25/19 7:42 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:
Tyler H said:

We have the technology.

Yeah...  Every drive in the snow would end in downvotes from nervous drivers I think.  I just happen to own 2 cars where the fastest way through a turn from a stop in the snow involves hanging the tail out a decent bit and rotating the car early in the turn.  

slefain
slefain PowerDork
1/25/19 7:44 a.m.

The 1992–1998 Pontiac Grand Am is almost extinct. The last remaining survivors have been tagged with a special sticker and released back into the wild:

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/25/19 7:56 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:
dropstep said:

If someone is tailgating me in this town there's a 90% chance they have Michigan plates. 

That's just because you've learned to drive in Ohio with he flying donut patrol.  Every one in Ohio seems to drive 5 under all the time, I put it down to the extra processing time needed for the average Ohio brain.  Wake up guys 80mph is for the slow lane around here. devil 

At least we are aware of the existence of turn signals and how to use them. 

Greg Smith
Greg Smith HalfDork
1/25/19 9:33 a.m.
darkbuddha said:

1.  Living in a community with a median age over 65 will make you want a future that includes self driving vehicles. 

2.  Being rear-ended multiple times by people distracted by their phones will make you want a future that includes self driving vehicles. 

3.  Car manufacturers continued trends of not building cars, phasing out manual transmissions, putting more and more tech in their vehicles, making vehicles bigger and bigger, dulling the driving experience, and focusing on numerical data instead of driving experience will make you want a future that includes self driving vehicless. 

4.  A future that includes self driving vehicles will eventually lead to the outlawing of non-self driving vehicles, thus causing a) self driving retrofit kits to become necessary for pre-self driving vehicles to remain on the road, and b) GRM forum members to band together in clandestine outlaw "drive clubs."  First rule of Drive Club: you don't talk about Drive Club. 

Queue up Rush's "Red Barchetta"...

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/25/19 9:38 a.m.

The new Ferd F Teen Thousand Sooper Doody was either designed by a group of douchebags, or every F Teen thousand driver is a douchebag.  Why are all four headlamps always lit on those things?

rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
1/25/19 9:46 a.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

The base halogen lights on the new ones has 2 low beams and 2 high beams on each side AFAIK.  That was their solution to get more light for those who didn't want to pay for HIDs, etc.  

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/25/19 10:28 a.m.

All vehicles with University plates (promoting the college said driver apparently went to) drive like the biggest asshats on the road. When added to an Audi or BMW, the asshattery is exponential. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/25/19 12:05 p.m.
Hungary Bill said:

Almost every car manufacturer gets the manual option shift pattern wrong on modern automatic transmissions.

You pull BACK on the stick to shift up.

You push FORWARD on the stick to shift down.

Two manufacturers get it right. Porsche, and Mazda.  I haven't seen anyone else get it right.

Porsche and Mazda want to give you the dynamics of driving a manual trans.  Other manufacturers want to give you the dynamics of driving a PRND21 automatic.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/25/19 12:21 p.m.
Knurled. said:
Hungary Bill said:

Almost every car manufacturer gets the manual option shift pattern wrong on modern automatic transmissions.

Two manufacturers get it right. Porsche, and Mazda.  I haven't seen anyone else get it right.

Porsche and Mazda want to give you the dynamics of driving a manual trans.  Other manufacturers want to give you the dynamics of driving a PRND21 automatic.

You pull back on a manual stick to shift up twice: from 1-2 and from 3-4.

You also push forward on a manual stick to shift up twice: from 2-3 and 4-5.

Not quite sure where your insistence is coming from.  For the typical 5-speed transmission (most common pattern), it's the same number of motions in both directions.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/25/19 1:01 p.m.
Knurled. said:
Hungary Bill said:

BMW also gets it right. Kia gets it wrong.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/25/19 1:04 p.m.
Duke said:

You pull back on a manual stick to shift up twice: from 1-2 and from 3-4.

You also push forward on a manual stick to shift up twice: from 2-3 and 4-5.

Not quite sure where your insistence is coming from.  For the typical 5-speed transmission (most common pattern), it's the same number of motions in both directions.

Those aren't in a straight line. On a regular H-pattern, anytime you pull straight back you're shifting up, and any time you push straight forward you're shifting down.

It also makes sense from a safety perspective: If you pull back by accident due to acceleration forces, you'll increase top speed but decrease acceleration. And if you push forward by accident under braking, you'll only increase engine braking (and maybe money-shift the engine if there weren't a computer to stop you, but you'll get a big shock of engine braking as that happens cheeky)

Type Q
Type Q SuperDork
1/25/19 1:14 p.m.
ebonyandivory said:

My Walmart only has three types of vehicles: Panther platforms, full size GM trucks or silver Camrys. There’s literally no other vehicles but these, I swear!

Which one do you drive? smiley

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
1/25/19 1:17 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

going from 2 to 3 I push forward,  Going from 4 to 5 I push forward.   Both seem to increase my speed

this whole page is redundant

rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
1/25/19 1:22 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Not all BMWs are foward/down, back/up.  My E38 is forward for upshift, back for downshift.  Which I don't mind, as I most often use it for manual downshifts, where sliding the lever to the left and then pulling back is a very natural motion.  

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/25/19 1:24 p.m.
mad_machine said:

If people left for work 2 minutes earlier, they wouldn't have to speed like demons on the road.. and lets face it, doing 85 in a 50 for three miles of highway is only going to net you a few seconds

85 in a 50 for 3 miles? Sounds like an 89 second difference. More than a few seconds. Thats a whole gaggle of seconds.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/25/19 1:26 p.m.
Daylan C said:
Adrian_Thompson said:
Tyler H said:

We have the technology.

In a crew cab long bed work truck.

...or a minivan... definitely seems to catch sports car drivers who try to follow me off guard...  and what do you mean bu "attempt"? devil

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/25/19 1:40 p.m.

Laurel, Maryland has an unusual number of people that drive in the evening without any lights on.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/25/19 1:50 p.m.
darkbuddha said:

4.  A future that includes self driving vehicles will eventually lead to the outlawing of non-self driving vehicles, thus causing a) self driving retrofit kits to become necessary for pre-self driving vehicles to remain on the road, and b) GRM forum members to band together in clandestine outlaw "drive clubs."  First rule of Drive Club: you don't talk about Drive Club. 

I've actually developed a "self driving retrofit kit" in my spare time.  Works on all domestic and foreign cars made after 1915.  Patent pending.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
1/25/19 1:56 p.m.
slefain said:

The 1992–1998 Pontiac Grand Am is almost extinct. The last remaining survivors have been tagged with a special sticker and released back into the wild:

The exceptions are outfitted with Taz / Tweety Bird floor mats and seat covers. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/25/19 2:49 p.m.
noddaz said:

Laurel, Maryland has an unusual number of people that drive in the evening without any lights on.

Based on my experiences in Delaware, I doubt it is actually unusual.

See also: Looking forward to self-driving cars.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
1/25/19 3:13 p.m.
Type Q said:
ebonyandivory said:

My Walmart only has three types of vehicles: Panther platforms, full size GM trucks or silver Camrys. There’s literally no other vehicles but these, I swear!

Which one do you drive? smiley

I was at Walmart so I was in my white 2006 Sierra as seen in these “pages”, naturally!

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
1/25/19 3:16 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

The new Ferd F Teen Thousand Sooper Doody was either designed by a group of douchebags, or every F Teen thousand driver is a douchebag.  Why are all four headlamps always lit on those things?

As a Ford truck guy at heart, I HATE seeing those damned headlights coming at me. The only positive is that they blind you so you don’t have to look at them.

sachilles
sachilles UltraDork
1/25/19 3:26 p.m.

I feel like the invention of day time running lamps as a safety feature has lead to less safe cars at night as the drivers forget to put on tail lights. Been guilty of it myself to be honest.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CpgG5kgC6mO6fsKy8YIIoh3TwewnCsbNOd5a8B7DUmgfuNPEfxmsTwpDKvY2XCJj