1 2 3
NickD
NickD New Reader
9/4/15 5:50 a.m.
junked wrote: I found info stating the Maserati TC manual was a Getrag 284. This was also used on some 3.4 DOHC W-bodies. Do you all think this tranny is too rare to make it on the list, but make it a footnote for someone on the hunt that finds one?

Yes, this trans was used on '90-'92 Lumina Z34s and they are extremely strong, but they are impossible to find and even harder to get parts for. Was talking to a guy that had a 3800/SC, 5-speed manual-swapped '03 Impala and he was using this transmission. He had to buy 2 or 3 to find a good one, because a lot of the internals, like the synchros, are no longer available. Ended up having to make his own throw-out bearing by machining down one from a 3000GT VR-4

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/4/15 6:06 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote: The strongest manual FWD transmission on the planet would probably be the Toyota E153. V6 Camry/Solara, and MR2 Turbo. Bolts to "MZ" series toyota motors, and "S" motors. (3sgte, 5sfe, etc. AllTrac/MR2 Turbo motor.) Clutch is pretty big. (That what you meant about size?) Clutches are plentiful. Shift action pretty smooth, though not say... Miata smooth. Axles will be strong. Triple cone 3rd gear synchro.

What about the Audi 01E? That was the one used in front wheel drive A8s, and Porsche Boxsters.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
9/4/15 7:18 a.m.
SSATB wrote: fwd auto that is more capable, than others, of dissipating heat, especially in low-speed/stationery situations where air flow is nonexistent? Or in the interest of my transmission's longevity, will I have to install an oil cooler?

Absolutely. A Prius. It doesn't do anything when you are sitting still, and there is no 'slip' in the transmission like a traditional auto.

That said, most autos have an external cooler, so its easy to unplug the lines and replace it with a monster cooler for a more heavy duty scenario.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
9/4/15 9:37 a.m.

The G-15M-R, a version of the Ford 5 series transmission, used in thousands of Ford and some Mazda compacts is a readily available unit. good for lower power. It was faultless in my 2000 ZX2SR.

The 6 speed in the Fist and Focus are worth a look.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Dork
9/4/15 9:46 a.m.

I would think the hot setup would be to bolt a Corvette T56 (convert to top shift) to whatever you want to power your vehicle. Standard T56 front flange, GM input shaft is easily changed, and set up to have a rear diff bolt directly to it. Definitely the hot setup for an inline, mid mount setup. A bad man would use the TR6060 or whatever the later C6 Z06s have.

You kids with your import stuff.

monknomo
monknomo New Reader
9/4/15 4:54 p.m.

G50?

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/4/15 6:13 p.m.
iceracer wrote: The G-15M-R, a version of the Ford 5 series transmission, used in thousands of Ford and some Mazda compacts is a readily available unit. good for lower power. It was faultless in my 2000 ZX2SR.

A friend went through three in 30,000mi in a stock engined ZX2.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pLSdTQIMyimg7VraoxedbTlFZSl6AFZ3LNi5QOYwsASNLbP8SEFyTrvhJrzDJE2v