1 2 3
ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
7/21/17 9:36 a.m.

Heh. I think my too fiddy holds around 32 gallons but I've been paying less than $2.50 per and rarely run it dead empty.

Of course the two stroke oil I mix in adds about $0.10 per gallon.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/21/17 9:40 a.m.

Diesel was at $2.99 yesterday. $3.15 for 87 octane regular gas.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
7/21/17 9:54 a.m.

wow. This morning Regular (87) was $1.90, Premium (93) was $2.48, and Diesel was $2.15. That was at our local Kroger before any discounts. I had a $0.50 per gallon discount built up so I filled up the 'Stang with 93 for $1.98/gallon.

yupididit
7/21/17 3:55 p.m.

The joys of California

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/21/17 10:02 p.m.

The only place in the US I've seen as bad as Cali is Hawaii. It makes sense that HI has high gas prices. Kali? Not so much

yupididit
7/22/17 10:09 a.m.

Hawaii has an excuse

yupididit
7/24/17 1:42 a.m.

My overhead console thingy wasn't working so I couldn't read the compass, temp, miles to empty, and gas mileage. Found on a ford truck forum that the resistors like to separate.

Sure enough that's what it was.

Within 20min it was fixed.

I'm quickly falling in love with the beast. And I'm slowly starting to realize this thing needs a bit more power. I will try to keep her stock, at least in regards to power.

The alpine double din that is installed on this thing is starting to get on my nerves. You can't cut the screen off while diving or sitting in park, it's "apple play", i can't get the lamguage off of spanish because the menu only lets you fiddle with audio settings.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
7/24/17 8:48 a.m.

Look into a turbo down pipe. I know the factory ones in my older 'stroke are a real restriction point and bolting in a better one is supposed to free up some power without actually changing the engine tune or risking any damage. Not sure if the same thing applies on the gen2 strokes.

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
7/24/17 10:55 a.m.

I can run 6 different tunes in my 95 Powerstroke and generally stay on economy or tow. I also have the mildest performance injectors Swamps diesel makes for it, and just doing that really woke it up without being smokey. I bought a downpipe too because they are very restrictive, but haven't installed it yet. I'll probably go down the same path with the f550 rollback once I get the rest of its issues sorted.

yupididit
7/24/17 12:15 p.m.

Hopefully I can wait until I get to Texas before I modify it.

Next order of business is transcooler, windshield, and seat covers.

yupididit
8/16/17 6:12 p.m.

-Replaced windshield -Installed a new fancy headunit and rear dvd system -Installed trans cooler

Next are the Rancho shocks I bought off Amazon on the cheap. Seat covers will have to wait.

So far, she's averaging 18.5 mixed. I've gone through 3 tanks so far driving her everywhere. Getting better gas millage than my XJR.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Dork
8/16/17 6:47 p.m.

Link to the shocks? My 2002 F2fiddy needs some new shocks.

I have the TS Diesel 6 position chip and a 5" exhaust with a 6" tip. My old truck had a 4" exhaust. I would go 5" all day long, it sounds so much better. Really hear the turbo sing.

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
8/16/17 6:49 p.m.

That's awesome. I get around 10mpg in my big block burb. I started looking at 4x4 diesel excursions but quickly stopped after seeing the asking prices even the beaters bring around here.

yupididit
8/16/17 7:04 p.m.
93gsxturbo wrote: Link to the shocks? My 2002 F2fiddy needs some new shocks. I have the TS Diesel 6 position chip and a 5" exhaust with a 6" tip. My old truck had a 4" exhaust. I would go 5" all day long, it sounds so much better. Really hear the turbo sing.

They didn't have any for the F250. Pretty sure Excursion and F250 use different shocks because of mounting. They were Rancho RS9000XL Adjustable shocks, shipped out of Compton Ca which is an hour from me. $370 shipped is what I paid, seller was Shock Surplus on Amazon.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
8/16/17 7:21 p.m.
I threw my insurance agent lady for a loop when I brought this to her for private use only, but she got it figured out, so I'm all good on the insurance front.

You're a lucky man..

05 headlight upgrade

EVERY old super duty needs the headlight upgrade! For only low hundreds $ you add low thousands $ of curb appeal.

Look into a turbo down pipe. I know the factory ones in my older 'stroke are a real restriction point and bolting in a better one is supposed to free up some power without actually changing the engine tune or risking any damage.
Hopefully I can wait until I get to Texas before I modify it.

Downpipe is a good mod on a 7.3 but NOT the easiest install. Wait til you get to Texas and we can suffer through it together, or for a fee i can suffer through it alone. I'm trying to become the go-to guy for things enthusiasts are put off by anyway.

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
8/16/17 7:29 p.m.

In reply to Vigo:

I wish you were in TN to do rotors on an f550. Good lord what a pain in the ass. I bought a 22ton air over hydraulic jack just to lift the big girl up.

yupididit
8/16/17 7:32 p.m.

Sup Vigo,

Are you a mechanic by trade? And do you have a lift? I need those kinds of friends lol.

I'm thinking if I keep her (which seems likely), I'll like to do injectors and a few other things to take her to 400k miles. We can pain through it together

yupididit
8/16/17 7:33 p.m.
Cotton wrote: In reply to Vigo: I wish you were in TN to do rotors on an f550. Good lord what a pain in the ass. I bought a 22ton air over hydraulic jack just to lift the big girl up.

I want to be like You when I grow up

SEADave
SEADave HalfDork
8/17/17 10:21 a.m.
yupididit wrote: -Replaced windshield -Installed a new fancy headunit and rear dvd system -Installed trans cooler Next are the Rancho shocks I bought off Amazon on the cheap. Seat covers will have to wait. So far, she's averaging 18.5 mixed. I've gone through 3 tanks so far driving her everywhere. Getting better gas millage than my XJR.

That's pretty good mileage. I don't get quite that mileage but ours is a 4x4. These things have 44 gallon tanks, we've driven from Seattle to Kalispell Mt. easy without stopping for fuel. You could probably go farther.

yupididit
8/17/17 11:12 a.m.

I'm curious to see how far I can get on a single tank when towing 6k pounds from Southern California to Texas.

SEADave
SEADave HalfDork
8/17/17 11:49 a.m.

I towed a friend's C4 on one of those heavy U-haul car haulers from Portland to Seattle and honestly didn't see much of a difference. But I'm pretty much a right lane "cruise set on the limit" guy when towing.

If you do this throw a can with some extra diesel in the back. Our little lie-o-meter (the thing you fixed) has a habit of saying we have 60-80 miles of range when completely empty.

yupididit
8/17/17 12:57 p.m.

I don't drive it over 60mph to be honest! I'll def carry extra diesel.

dannyzabolotny
dannyzabolotny New Reader
8/17/17 4:32 p.m.

Nice score! The 7.3's go for crazy high money in Arizona, the people here love lifting them and tuning them to be fast. If I were to buy an excursion I'd buy the one with the V10. It's not as fuel efficient, but gas engines are easier to work on and I'm super familiar with the Ford modular engine.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Dork
8/17/17 4:48 p.m.

In reply to yupididit:

You can get the Bilstein 5100s for about $100 less, I don't really need the adjustability. Anything else I am missing on Rancho vs Bilstein? I have always been a Bilstein guy.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
8/17/17 4:53 p.m.

Vigo's a good guy, you want to be his friend.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WFLWSP842ejxnhIVfLNOCX39nZW91Prz1OfOSoJcKACnW3l0AlrQGRXkp42Xgiw2