Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
8/10/20 2:10 p.m.
feature_image

Audi's Projekt Rosemeyer may be the closest we will get to a modern-day Auto Union Silver Arrow.

Debuting back in 2000, the mid-engined concept was named after Auto Union driver Bernd Rosemeyer–also a Nazi–and received an 8.0-liter W16 engine that was said to be capable of 700 horsepower and a top speed of 217 mph. Power would have been sent to all four wheels through a …

Read the rest of the story

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/10/20 2:26 p.m.

I love the Silver Arrow - I even have a SCHUCO wind-up version of it - but that thing is truly, existentially hideous.

It actually looks like a mid-budget SF movie where the props department tarted some normal car up to look "futuristic".  In the kind of future where everybody wears color-coded jump suits.

iansane (Forum Supporter)
iansane (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/10/20 2:29 p.m.

I  enjoy the headlight covers. I feel like the designer watch short circuit the night before the car was due for approval.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/10/20 2:42 p.m.
iansane (Forum Supporter) said:

I  enjoy the headlight covers. I feel like the designer watch short circuit the night before the car was due for approval.

Exactly what I was going to say.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
8/10/20 2:48 p.m.

It actually looks like a mid-budget SF movie where the props department tarted some normal car up to look "futuristic".  In the kind of future where everybody wears color-coded jump suits.

Like those movies from the 80s and 90s that had flying cars and robots delivering your mail, and then they would reveal the world as something like "in the distant year of 2010."

I don't know how flattering a color-coded jumpsuit would be, but it would make getting ready in the morning easier.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
8/10/20 2:49 p.m.

I wish they would have made them ,lots of them !

because  20 years later they would be dead cheap .

I love it.....

johndej
johndej Dork
8/10/20 8:32 p.m.

Ehhh ... I do like autounions...it's not that terrible...at least they tried.....

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
8/10/20 9:48 p.m.
Colin Wood said:

Like those movies from the 80s and 90s that had flying cars and robots delivering your mail, and then they would reveal the world as something like "in the distant year of 2010."

I don't know how flattering a color-coded jumpsuit would be, but it would make getting ready in the morning easier.

If you are assigned the red top black bottom suit plan your funeral 

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
8/10/20 9:54 p.m.

I see Audi TT and lines of a locomotive in it.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
8/11/20 7:01 a.m.

I suppose they're trying to take inspiration from this.

But that design doesn't really translate into a fully enclosed two seater. It looks like they probably retooled this into the Veyron, which I don't particularly like the styling of either, but the Veyron wears that theme a bit better. Or maybe I'm more used to it.

This thing's main saving grace is that its interior design and performance sounds like it's worth spending time inside it, and you can't see the exterior from the driver's seat.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vfp6cgC3E4KHEyAk7FjAoWVeIIOFq4E0tdhIf27jvN9M4S6yk4ltfVzpnCDVca8s