1 2
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
8/6/20 2:22 p.m.
feature_image

Stripping out the interior of a car to make it lighter isn't necessarily a new concept, but Mazda wanted to see just how far they could push that envelope with its NC-chassis MX-5.

Built in 2010 to celebrate 20 years of the MX-5, the MX-5 Superlight Version does without a windshield, a roof and just about every potential creature comfort. All …

Read the rest of the story

Andrew Polasek
Andrew Polasek
8/6/20 6:27 p.m.

250 lbs is impressive on a Miata, that's 10% weight savings on an already lightweight car to begin with, and finished product looks.. finished. Not sure I could live with love bugs in my teeth though.

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
8/6/20 10:23 p.m.
Andrew Polasek said:

250 lbs is impressive on a Miata, that's 10% weight savings on an already lightweight car to begin with, and finished product looks.. finished. Not sure I could live with love bugs in my teeth though.

Add 5lbs back in with a lexan fly screen. A six or eight inch tall screen, properly adjusted, would stave off the majority of critters in your teeth. 

I love the look of that Miata, though... (slow whistles appreciatively)

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) Reader
8/7/20 3:45 a.m.

IIRC first gen 1.6L Miatas were nowhere close to 2300 lbs.  A BP4W swap into an NA chassis give you the same power/weight ratio or better, and you get a windshield. That speedster is still pretty cool though. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/7/20 7:34 a.m.
Colin Wood said:

Should more MX-5s come from the factory without a windshield?

I would say no. The constant buffeting and need to wear goggles would kill a lot of the fun, for me at least.

white_fly
white_fly HalfDork
8/7/20 9:07 a.m.

11/10. I've long fantasized about a street car with no windshield. 

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
8/7/20 9:29 a.m.

Miatae, and many (most?) other roadsters, tend to look GREAT without a windshield. However, I like the idea more than I think I would like the reality of it...And while I liked this treatment on the NC, I liked it better on the ND.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/7/20 10:29 a.m.

In reply to Driven5 :

Ooohhh yes. Looks really good on the ND!

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
8/7/20 10:36 a.m.

The styling looks incongruous to me; mainly because the seats and roll hoops/fairings are noticeably higher the the cowl, for me a low screen would go a long way toward making them look better.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/7/20 10:39 a.m.

I could take or leave the speedster look, but I do love that brown interior. 

cafcwest
cafcwest HalfDork
8/7/20 1:39 p.m.

I'm a fan.  Then again, I did do this in my COVID-19 lockdown boredom:

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/7/20 2:29 p.m.
Driven5 said:

Miatae, and many (most?) other roadsters, tend to look GREAT without a windshield. However, I like the idea more than I think I would like the reality of it...And while I liked this treatment on the NC, I liked it better on the ND.

That color!!

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/7/20 2:37 p.m.

Still better than this Porsche 944 based conversion that a company in Holland produces:

Heynsdyk 2500SF

David S. Wallens
8/7/20 2:38 p.m.

In reply to cafcwest :

That looks rad. Which wheels are you running? 

cafcwest
cafcwest HalfDork
8/7/20 4:01 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

New early Mini Cooper 15x5.5 steel wheels - a very cheap (though certainly heavier than OEM 14" hollow spokes) choice for a bit of a vintage look.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-mini-parts/steel-wheel-silver-priced-each/36116768497/

BFG Radial TA 155/80/15 tires.  The idea was to give it as little grip as possible and let the car dance for that vintage motoring feel.   They are no 200TW auto-x special but they actually have quite a bit more grip than I was expecting.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=Radial+T%2FA&partnum=58SR5RADTARWL2V2

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/7/20 5:46 p.m.

There are u-tube videos of cars getting their windshields stove in by flying debris. Watch one before you break out the sawzall.

Cool-looking though.  

David S. Wallens
8/7/20 6:06 p.m.
cafcwest said:

In reply to David S. Wallens :

New early Mini Cooper 15x5.5 steel wheels - a very cheap (though certainly heavier than OEM 14" hollow spokes) choice for a bit of a vintage look.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-mini-parts/steel-wheel-silver-priced-each/36116768497/

BFG Radial TA 155/80/15 tires.  The idea was to give it as little grip as possible and let the car dance for that vintage motoring feel.   They are no 200TW auto-x special but they actually have quite a bit more grip than I was expecting.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=Radial+T%2FA&partnum=58SR5RADTARWL2V2

The setup looks neat--retro and cool. 

Vajingo
Vajingo New Reader
8/7/20 6:28 p.m.
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) said:

IIRC first gen 1.6L Miatas were nowhere close to 2300 lbs.  A BP4W swap into an NA chassis give you the same power/weight ratio or better, and you get a windshield. That speedster is still pretty cool though. 

Someone hasn't driven the NC.

BNolch
BNolch
8/7/20 7:38 p.m.

In reply to cafcwest :

Cool, reminds me of an old Jaguar from the 50s!

spandak
spandak HalfDork
8/7/20 11:25 p.m.

I too have always wanted to do this. Weirdly, I was thinking about it today on my way home. 
My favorite version of this idea is the Bergspyder. That ND is a cloooose second

edit: where can I find info on the chopped 986? I would like to read about rhat

white_fly
white_fly HalfDork
8/8/20 12:16 a.m.

In reply to spandak :

It was posted on a Facebook group called 'Boxster Outlaws' or something like that. I don't honestly know more about it than that.

I like this rendering quite a bit.

Also, all the cars pictured up to this point.

DavidATL
DavidATL New Reader
8/10/20 4:55 a.m.

In reply to cafcwest :

LOVE LOVE LOVE your work and this build. 

cafcwest
cafcwest HalfDork
8/10/20 10:43 a.m.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.  I decided to do a cross post of the 'build' thread on the GRM forum here:
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/project-miat/175590/page1/

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/10/20 10:50 a.m.

Anything where goggles and driving gloves are appropriate is cool. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HU4oR4u9PQz2m5lbdAL6IIkDnhxG5M59WxKdccCc0CNmN9xxagwrCJYOXZnlFSOV