Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
10/6/20 1:15 p.m.
feature_image

Even though this looks like someone slapped a bowtie on the front of a BMW 1-Series and added headlights from the current-generation Mustang, this is actually Chevrolet’s 130R Concept.

Introduced at the 2012 Detroit Auto Show, the rear-wheel, four-seat coupe was based on GM’s Alpha platform that also underpinned the ATS at the time. A six-speed automatic was standard, though …

Read the rest of the story

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
10/6/20 1:29 p.m.

Sell well? No

Do I like? Yes

That's a weird market segment that hasn't really played out well that I can remember.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/6/20 1:31 p.m.

I'm still mildly annoyed that this didn't make it to production.  I really liked thr looks and the concept.

Vigo (Forum Supporter)
Vigo (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/6/20 1:50 p.m.

Ironically, I'm seeing current Mustang in this. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/6/20 1:58 p.m.
Vigo (Forum Supporter) said:

Ironically, I'm seeing current Mustang in this. 

Totally. 

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/6/20 2:24 p.m.

I really wish someone would take another swing at the sporty hybrid concept. The CR-Z was a failure as a hybrid and as a sporty car because it was bad at being both. The idea isn't inherently flawed, it just needs better execution.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/7/20 9:30 a.m.

I'd completely forgotten about this car, but my thoughts echo buzzboy's. 

The idea of a sporty hybrid is definitely an engineering challenge. Mostly the weight balance, I'd suspect. 

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/7/20 9:48 a.m.

In reply to pointofdeparture :

Absolutely. An underrated aspect of the success of Tesla is that they've made EVs FUN. The CR-Z broke my heart because the body said party while the driveline said Meh. 

The main thing that I dislike about this car is the front. Chevy's generic grille/emblem says "Hi, this is the face of mediocrity" which isn't really fair because Chevy makes some good stuff.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AJEGpmc8rw2uZOvE1uLEDwinDaEJ0IdUM5Ad4o6yd9OY0eTqO6JOtecGjeW4RQEq