1 2
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
10/26/20 10:45 a.m.
feature_image

Chris Bangle may be best known for his work at BMW (for better or for worse), but before his tenure there, he was working over at Fiat. During his time there, he served as chief designer for a uniquely styled front-wheel-drive coupe.

That car, known as the Fiat Coupé, was notable for the angular exterior design that Bangle penned, and …

Read the rest of the story

Vigo (Forum Supporter)
Vigo (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/26/20 10:51 a.m.

Honestly, im a fan. I love the interior, too. I still prefer the Alfa built on the same platform (or a contemporary Mitsubishi FTO), but i wouldn't kick one of these out of my driveway. 

Semi-related? E60 BMW taillights are some of my favorite taillights in history.  These ones here are...not. 

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
10/26/20 11:21 a.m.

I once saw one of those in Monaco and was completely baffled as to what it was.  The styling is a thumbs down for me.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
10/26/20 11:24 a.m.

Disgusting

Dave M (Forum Supporter)
Dave M (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/26/20 11:47 a.m.

Fugly. Looks like a mangled EV-1. 

The interior looks nice though.

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/26/20 11:57 a.m.

wow, you really chose some nasty pics that make a sleek and stylish car look awful.

The biggest issue with the fiat coupe' was the 5 cylinder turbo.. Yes, it was the most powerful of the breed, you needed to pull the engine to do the cambelt.  There was just no room between the front of the engine and the side of the car to do the work.  the 16v engine (same as the Lancia Delta and based off of the beloved Fiat twincam) was much easier to work on, lighter, and could be tweaked to supply the same power.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
10/26/20 12:05 p.m.

Oh, good grief!  All the warning signs were there, and still BMW made the horrible mistake of hiring the man.  What were they thinking?

STM317
STM317 UberDork
10/26/20 12:08 p.m.
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) said:

wow, you really chose some nasty pics that make a sleek and stylish car look awful.

All I see is a goofy Sunfire

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
10/26/20 12:29 p.m.

I liked it in Gran Turismo 2. Looks better than most of the BMWs he's known for.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/26/20 12:32 p.m.

The yellow one mad_machine posted sure looks better than the blue ones up top.

But it still suffers heavily from Bangleism:  a layer of weird, fussy detailing failing to hide fundamentally bad proportions.

Yuck. Luckily it looks like a car you wouldn't mind breaking down. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/26/20 2:22 p.m.

My first thought was it looks like an EV1. 

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/26/20 2:31 p.m.

I'm a big fan, but do think it wears some colors and angles better than others.

I do agree that the contemporary Alfa GTV would be my pick though.

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
10/26/20 2:33 p.m.

For some reason my mind went to Saturn SC2 but I can't articulate why. Those taillights are something.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/26/20 2:35 p.m.
randman2011 said:
Duke said:

But it still suffers heavily from Bangleism:  a layer of weird, fussy detailing failing to hide fundamentally bad proportions.

That's it. I could never put my finger on what is so unfortunate about the Coupe styling. Highlighting that it was the work of Chris Bangle makes so much sense, and you're right. The proportions, front and rear, are just bizarre.

That's exactly what plagued all the Bangle-era BMW sedans (the Z4 wasn't bad):  The fundamental proportioning was just lumpy and misshapen.  All the "flame surfacing" and "zeppelin ribs" and "Bangle butt" and other weird pig-lipstick he applied just couldn't hide those baked-in flaws.

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
10/26/20 2:42 p.m.

Reminds me of a bad kit car from the 80's

Shaun
Shaun Dork
10/26/20 3:04 p.m.

Lower it a couple inches and I really like it.  It is my favorite car of his!  Which is saying very little.

Bangle took over at a difficult time for the lead design role as the preceding BMWs were very good looking and had distinct connections to their respective 'series' linage.  There was not anywhere obvious to go with an incremental approach so he blew it up.   I get that decision and he succeeded wildly- but very few attractive individual BMWs have emerged and I do not see a cohesive language coming together.  He has been gone 10 years and Adrian Hooydonk has not managed to herd the smattering of approaches into anything palatable unless  'Vaguely Brutish' is ones cup of tea.

BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter)
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
10/26/20 3:29 p.m.

Clarkson told us it would be a good police car, so it’s got that going for it cheeky

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/26/20 3:43 p.m.

You guys keep posting the same car in different colours, from different angles, saying it looks better.  You are not helping your side of the argument.

All the colour in the world won't hide that wheel well and the body line running through it.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/26/20 4:02 p.m.

The interior, yes. The exterior, no. That said, I feel that Bangle rescued BMW from a pretty boring design language,  and for the most part I'm a fan.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
10/26/20 4:10 p.m.

The wheel arches are hideous, and it has the face of a Daimler SP250, formerly the worlds ugliest car. The tail would be OK on an econobox though.

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/26/20 4:15 p.m.

Yuck.  That's all I have to say on that question.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/26/20 4:18 p.m.
slowbird said:

I liked it in Gran Turismo 2. Looks better than most of the BMWs he's known for.

Came in here to say that. I thought it looked great on the game but less so in reality really

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/26/20 6:10 p.m.
Duke said:
randman2011 said:
Duke said:

That's it. I could never put my finger on what is so unfortunate about the Coupe styling. Highlighting that it was the work of Chris Bangle makes so much sense, and you're right. The proportions, front and rear, are just bizarre.

That's exactly what plagued all the Bangle-era BMW sedans (the Z4 wasn't bad):  The fundamental proportioning was just lumpy and misshapen.  All the "flame surfacing" and "zeppelin ribs" and "Bangle butt" and other weird pig-lipstick he applied just couldn't hide those baked-in flaws.

flaws yes, but that was typical for a front driver from that era.  I do think maybe the trunk was a bit too truncated, but I prefer the looks of the front.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
10/26/20 6:12 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

You guys keep posting the same car in different colours, from different angles, saying it looks better.  You are not helping your side of the argument.

All the colour in the world won't hide that wheel well and the body line running through it.

This exactly.  Look at the profile --  it's as if the designer said "Man, I really need to add some excitement here" so he just cut some slashes across the wheel wells on the clay model then said, "Done!" 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XGjghIhyMzy8lSlwJkBO9ZlOy1zPGDSU6BJJMyCxjOpt7Jiv7herCeXP8Xjhs2Fa