1 2
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
9/3/20 10:37 a.m.
feature_image

For those in the U.S., "Mercedes-AMG" and "hot hatch" usually don't go together in the same sentence (the AMG E63 S Wagon doesn't really count since it's a wagon), but in some very lucky parts of the world, the A 45 S AMG 4MATIC+ begs to differ.

Sure, we do get AMG trims for the A-Class Sedan and CLA Coupe, but neither can be …

Read the rest of the story

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/3/20 10:46 a.m.

I would very much like one....but probably would never buy one with my own money

MrFancypants
MrFancypants Reader
9/3/20 10:48 a.m.

Love it.  Can't throw my kids in the back of a Corvette so this is a better option if I want to share a spirited drive with the family.

Probably wouldn't spend this much though when I can do the same for half as much with a Golf R.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
9/3/20 3:02 p.m.

Hot engine in a small, cheap, light car?  Bueno!  But the formula breaks down when the price skyrockets and the weight bloats.  I don't find expensive hatchbacks appealing. 

There's a 2017 AMG GT Coupe with 17K miles listed for the same price at a local dealer.  Guess which car I'd rather have?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/3/20 3:43 p.m.

3500lbs? Really? Is the turbo made of lead?

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
9/3/20 3:46 p.m.
bobzilla said:

No AWD hot hatch/rally rep is much lighter.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/3/20 3:48 p.m.
Saron81 said:
bobzilla said:

No AWD hot hatch/rally rep is much lighter.

I consider 400-500lbs a lot lighter. The Type R is 3100 and the Veloster N is 3000. No, neither of those have 400hp but most turbo 4 cars don't. 

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
9/3/20 3:49 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

They're also not AWD. 
I don't disagree that they're all heavy, but that goes with the territory these days, and it's not out of line with the competition.

AMG Benzes are also not known for being low on options/luxury which all adds weight. 

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
9/3/20 4:01 p.m.

Is the c8 vette going to be everyone's "to put that in perspective" vehicle from now until eternity?

They literally share no relation whatsoever. The S class Benz is really expensive too compared to a c8 vette. 

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
9/3/20 4:16 p.m.

In reply to Olemiss540 :

I see what you're getting at, and I'll admit it's not a perfect comparison.

How about comparing it to an Audi RS3? It's also a small-ish German performance car with a 0-60 time of less than four seconds. According to Audi, it starts at around $56,200.

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
9/3/20 4:22 p.m.

Golf R doesn't weigh 3500lbs

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
9/3/20 4:56 p.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

And I mean it with all due respect. Just seemed like an out of place comparo is all. 

Yes, RS3 or any performance hot hatch (especially from a luxury brand) seems like a good comparo.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
9/3/20 5:39 p.m.

That's a lot of money but it's also a lot of cool. Too bad it won't come to the states and depreciate in no time. Like others have said you can get a used AMG GT for that price now. 

chandler
chandler PowerDork
9/3/20 6:07 p.m.
docwyte said:

Golf R doesn't weigh 3500lbs

3373? Not that far off

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/3/20 7:39 p.m.

Seems like a Golf R with enough tune/bolt-ons to make similar power would probably cost half as much and perform just as well.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Benz is pretty cool. But $75k for a hot hatch? Meh. I'd rather have an E-class AMG wagon. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/3/20 9:10 p.m.

It would be a cool sleeper if you have money to burn and you take off the giant Benz logo on the grill.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/3/20 11:36 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

They make many pops and bangs with the factory exhaust and ecu, it will never be a sleeper. It's an adult focus RS that won't break, but the bill from the Benz for routine maintenance will be the same as the Ford dealership for the new headgasket. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/4/20 6:30 a.m.

In reply to Saron81 :

Ahhh... I missed the AWD part. Never mind. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
9/4/20 11:34 a.m.
irish44j (Forum Supporter) said:

Seems like a Golf R with enough tune/bolt-ons to make similar power would probably cost half as much and perform just as well.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Benz is pretty cool. But $75k for a hot hatch? Meh. I'd rather have an E-class AMG wagon. 

Don't forget that Golf R clutch either while making those upgrades. 

Dave M (Forum Supporter)
Dave M (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/4/20 12:28 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

There's one of the older gen of these things around here and it makes amazing noises and looks almost as stupid as a civic R.

Based on my neighborhood, I'd say its competitors are the RS3 and the M3 sedan. 40-y-o doctors with young families and a desire for flash.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/4/20 12:45 p.m.

In reply to Dave M (Forum Supporter) :

I've also said that they're an adult Evo, made of granite. I honestly love them. Definitely RS3 competitor for sure. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
9/4/20 1:03 p.m.
Dave M (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

There's one of the older gen of these things around here and it makes amazing noises and looks almost as stupid as a civic R.

Based on my neighborhood, I'd say its competitors are the RS3 and the M3 sedan. 40-y-o doctors with young families and a desire for flash.

You've just explained the South Bay of Los Angeles. M3/4s, RS3s, RS5s, X3Ms, Raptors, you name it AMGs, and every Porsche under the sun. Then there's me with a E36 M3box sequoia 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/4/20 1:31 p.m.

Would drive. 

Vajingo
Vajingo New Reader
9/4/20 1:36 p.m.

LOL. 3500 pounds and hatchback should not go in the same sentence. If they knock 1000 pounds off that car, they can go with a lighter engine and output and still have an extremely fun ride at a lower price point

STM317
STM317 UberDork
9/4/20 3:34 p.m.

In reply to Vajingo :

Yeah, and you know for-profit enterprises are always trying to sell things at a lower price point!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
u3vNCTQ8s4UoMrVcAqx6n1jwZD6wEiIal6M1EgTFgX2Ewys2a2kNaHGWmYL5OXk6