9/4/20 4:40 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Would drive. 

Would hoon? Would hoon.

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
9/5/20 12:18 p.m.

In reply to DirtyBird222 :

For under $4000 a Golf R can make 450hp.  Comparing new to new, you'll still have $35k left over.  More as the Benz base price is $75k, once you've added a few options you want it'll be over $80k easily.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
9/5/20 2:01 p.m.

The real question is would you buy a 50k mile one that's 4 years old for $35k or buy a new Golf R. Because that's the real question applicable to the bulk of these idiots.

Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/5/20 6:37 p.m.

Didn't we get something like this from Benz over here before?

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/5/20 6:47 p.m.
DirtyBird222 said:
irish44j (Forum Supporter) said:

Seems like a Golf R with enough tune/bolt-ons to make similar power would probably cost half as much and perform just as well.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Benz is pretty cool. But $75k for a hot hatch? Meh. I'd rather have an E-class AMG wagon. 

Don't forget that Golf R clutch either while making those upgrades. 

isn't clutch upgrade pretty much a given when doing major power-adders?

That said, I put 150k on the OEM clutch on a 290whp WRX, so maybe I just actually know how to drive a manual lol. 

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
9/6/20 8:53 a.m.

In reply to irish44j (Forum Supporter) :

Yes, yes it is.  When you're going from a factory 290hp to 450hp, a clutch upgrade will be needed.  Quite a few of my previous cars clutches have held silly power, even tho they were stock, but others can't.  The R clutch can't handle stage 2 power, or stage 2+ (ethanol blend tune) power.

I'd only buy a used AMG for $35k if it came CPO.  The Benz CPO program is garbage, it's only 1 year of coverage and then you have to pay something like $4-5000 for another 2 years of coverage.  I looked into it when I was interested in an E63 AMG wagon, which is a car I won't own out of warranty.  A friend has one, bought it with 14k miles on it.  By the time he had 20k miles on it, the dealer had done $20,000 (!!!) worth of warranty work on it.

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
9/6/20 9:26 a.m.

It looks nice, but are the head bolts gonna hold up?

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
9/6/20 10:30 a.m.

My policy on AMGs: You don't *buy* one. You *lease* one.

Also, they can literally FLY if you properly "find the limit."

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TF5s3kVBJu3FH6jtoRlXc2NoF0sVPlhAy2Z86Rj5HX4ruQPtWwF76ZhIhBziACfD