Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
11/19/20 1:06 p.m.
feature_image

“Crossover” and “performance” don’t usually go in the same sentence (unless, of course, it’s part of a press kit brimming with buzz words), though that’s the kind of language Ford is using to describe its Puma ST.

What exactly is the Puma? Well, it’s essentially a Fiesta with a little bit more ride height—kind of like how the CX-30 is …

Read the rest of the story

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/19/20 1:40 p.m.

since they sell this alongside the Fiesta and it's a manual.. i think it's a neat little addition to the Ford Europe lineup..

7.5/10 enthusiast vehicle..

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
11/19/20 2:30 p.m.

Kinda like how the Eclipse became a crossover in name at least.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/19/20 3:04 p.m.

The limited slip makes it work for me, though I'm curious about tire size as it may end up being a size that excludes anything decent being available in it 

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
11/19/20 3:32 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

Factory tire spec is listed as the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S in 225/40R19.

wae
wae UberDork
11/19/20 3:59 p.m.

I like it, but unless you have any other mythological creatures I say we call it the warthog.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/19/20 4:04 p.m.

In reply to wae :

That can be the softroadish package 

wae
wae UberDork
11/19/20 4:30 p.m.

The full off-road version can be the Chippathingy

How 'bout it, Griff?

FatMongo
FatMongo Reader
11/19/20 5:01 p.m.

So awesome that they made that with a manual!

Of course, they wont sell it in CONUS.

iceracer
iceracer MegaDork
11/19/20 6:28 p.m.

Any comparison to the Eco Boost thing we have here.

dealer has been tying to get me to trade my FiSt for one, for only $25 more lease payment.

Why would I pay more for a lesser vehicle ?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/19/20 7:31 p.m.
nutherjrfan said:

My thoughts exactly.... I remembered the Puma being a coupe version of the Ka in the same way the Cougar was a coupe version of the Mondeo/Contour.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder SuperDork
11/19/20 10:55 p.m.
wae said:

The full off-road version can be the Chippathingy

How 'bout it, Griff?

"I'm telling you, it's a real animal!" 

"Simmons, I want you to poison Grif's next meal."

kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/20/20 6:13 a.m.
nutherjrfan said:

I worked on a Ford Racing Puma here in the US. A diplotmat had one and brought it in for the check engine light on. Ran the code which came back as P0420 and basically we couldnt get parts for it. Told the guy he would need to buy a catalytic converter from a european shop and have it shipped here.

Never saw that car again. It was fun on the test drive though packed with 4 people. Had plenty of power, steering felt like the Focus SVT and it had crazy brakes.

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
11/20/20 9:28 a.m.

I just want to get my body acquainted with those seats.

Shaun
Shaun Dork
11/20/20 5:49 p.m.
kevinatfms said:
nutherjrfan said:

I worked on a Ford Racing Puma here in the US. A diplotmat had one and brought it in for the check engine light on. Ran the code which came back as P0420 and basically we couldnt get parts for it. Told the guy he would need to buy a catalytic converter from a european shop and have it shipped here.

Never saw that car again. It was fun on the test drive though packed with 4 people. Had plenty of power, steering felt like the Focus SVT and it had crazy brakes.

My first job out of high school was at a Honda dealership changing oil brake pads and wiper blades-  I was astounded by how badly my senior techs abused cars!

Dave M (Forum Supporter)
Dave M (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/20/20 5:52 p.m.

Looks kinda cool. Maybe I'd get one if I lived in an English shoebox! Too bad we don't get it here.

Carsandbikes
Carsandbikes Reader
11/20/20 6:52 p.m.

The British magazine CAR thinks quite highly of the Puma, saying that while it is the same size as the EcoSport (also based on the Fiesta...a previous generation) it is " miles " better.

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
11/21/20 12:37 a.m.

Since that is one of the only carish things Ford is making with a manual these days, I'll take it. yes

kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/23/20 6:30 a.m.
Shaun said:
kevinatfms said:
nutherjrfan said:

My first job out of high school was at a Honda dealership changing oil brake pads and wiper blades-  I was astounded by how badly my senior techs abused cars!

We didnt abuse it. Literally took it around the block within the speed limit and didnt beat on it. I have respect for people and their vehicles unlike some other techs i worked with. 

The crazy brakes thing was how the car reacted entire time the car was driven. Even pulling into the bay the front brakes just felt overpowered since they were massive calipers and rotors(IIRC 14" fronts on a car that weighed like 2500lbs). So at 30mph and just a touch on the pedal felt like the car was trying to launch you out of the windshield.

Old_Town
Old_Town Reader
11/23/20 1:09 p.m.

It may be the photo angle but - Is the passenger outside torso side bolster not there?  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UsTU6KjHUu7wTHvPbP2eifbAvMPy4lNThydulnQcaPAcj2vPB5adT3o9iyq0DoEP