Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
7/27/20 12:53 p.m.
feature_image

Lamborghini may be famous for making some of the world's most striking supercars, but the brand is also known for the many times it has changed ownership. Now owned by Audi, Lamborghini was under the leadership of Chrysler back in the late '80s and early '90s.

The Diablo may be the most notable model Chrysler built during its ownership of Lamborghini, but …

Read the rest of the story

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/27/20 12:54 p.m.

I can see a few cues that ended up on the stealth

Matt B (Forum Supporter)
Matt B (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
7/27/20 12:58 p.m.

I dig it, but it looks a lot more like a Chrysler than a Lambo.  I'm also a sucker for this era's litany of ill-advised styling cues because they were my formative years.  I'm also in agreement with Patrick.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
7/27/20 12:59 p.m.

Basically the whole  cab forward styling was adopted for Chrysler's  lh platform sedans of the mid to early 2000s sedans.

wae
wae UltraDork
7/27/20 1:00 p.m.

If you squint a little, I think it looks like an Intrepid with an ill-advised body kit.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/27/20 1:08 p.m.
MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
7/27/20 1:11 p.m.
wae said:

If you squint a little, I think it looks like an Intrepid with an ill-advised body kit.

http://wordpress.putrescence.org

The tail end looks like it pretty much got cut and pasted onto the production Intrepid. Not that that's a bad thing; the Intrepid was an interesting styling exercise. I'm glad the window-in-a-window arrangement didn't make production, though.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/27/20 2:52 p.m.
ZCarBob
ZCarBob New Reader
7/27/20 5:26 p.m.

Let's see, some Taurus, Subaru SVX windows, Merkur sort-of spoiler and some Ford Probe. Styling cues just don't work well together.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
7/27/20 6:37 p.m.

Some of the "cloud cars" in there as well.  This seems like a Chrysler styling exercise and they threw in the Jalpa bits just to make it a little more interesting.

That's the ugliest Intrepid I've ever seen.

Vigo (Forum Supporter)
Vigo (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/27/20 9:54 p.m.

I love it.

I also loved the 97 Intrepid i owned which is very derivative in styling. I don't think many people realize how much of a spaceship that was for a 1993 launch family sedan. It was low, wide, roomy, had a high output (for 1993) engine that made peak power basically at redline, and it handled like a big neon. Its suspension was basically the same design just scaled up. I did bigger throttle bodies, dual cowl induction which sounded awesome, true duals, higher stall converter, slightly lower gear ratio from a later car. Felt like a high 14 car (gearing still too tall) and ran alongside some. I had mine up to 135 (installed a non-limited pcm) before burning up 4th gear which i then rebuilt and kept going. It definitely had some downsides, like a forced early upshift to 4th at 115 that kept it from redlining 3rd at 136. 4th gear was mechanically too weak to hold stock power, which you wouldn't know if you had a stock 105 limiter and couldn't hit torque peak in 4th anyway. It really could have used a higher rev limit too.  Honestly, it's one of the few cars i ever got rid of that i truly regret and want back. I feel like i only scratched the surface. Paid $200 for it with a broken timing belt but i'd pay a lot more than that to get it back now. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/28/20 9:04 a.m.
wae said:

When I first saw the picture, I immediately thought "I bet you could make one starting with an intrepid"

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/28/20 9:10 a.m.
Colin Wood said:
feature_image

just push the rear wheels back so you can fit another engine between em and keep the backseat. Remove the driver side wiper and clock the passenger side so it covers a bit of both sides, some cheap "tuner" lambo door kits, boom done. 

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/28/20 9:30 a.m.
wae said:

Squint? If you told me this was an Intrepid Concept I would have believed you. In fact, if you told me to guess what this was a concept for, I would have said 300M or Intrepid.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
78LUcFs3ypcksM2CQyO89x0Gv8VugzZKp3oxR2xwrgTxE8WhOeskvEM3PSNacoB8