Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
11/12/20 1:29 p.m.
feature_image

As promising as hydrogen-powered cars sounded, committing to that as being a car’s only source of fuel would be a significant undertaking—especially with a limited infrastructure in place to provide that fuel. However, Mazda took that into consideration when it worked on developing a hydrogen powerplant in the early 2000s.

Enter the Mazda RX-8 Hydrogen RE. Fully capable of running on …

Read the rest of the story

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
11/12/20 1:45 p.m.

Pretty much sums up why I'm such a Mazda fanboy, and I know perfectly well that I'll never own a Miata:  Innovation.  Well, that and the fact that every Mazda I've ever owned has been fun to drive.

twowheeled
twowheeled New Reader
11/18/20 2:50 p.m.

How did they solve the problem of hydrogen fuel cells leaking?

fidelity101 (Forum Supporter)
fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
11/18/20 5:31 p.m.

there is something with the rotary engine that makes it superior than piston engines for this type of fuel. I'd have to dig up the details but it plays to the rotaries inefficients which makes it ideal for hydrogen combustion apparently. 

svxsti
svxsti Reader
11/18/20 8:18 p.m.

I would never buy anything Mazda. I love the Rotary engine and the last RX7 but Japan never gives Americans their best. For example the NC11 Miata was designed for the RX8 drivetrain but never went in, too good for us. Not to mention the last RX7 was timeless and no other car could pull over 1g on 225 street tires. The potential that platform had was better than anything I have ever seen. So the RX8 was a joke in every way, even if the Renesis had made it into a Miata, the RX7 platform still would have been a better choice for the Miata. For the few who have an RX7 with a 20B engine and a GT3 set up, they know the perfection that Mazda would never produce for Americans. Same goes for the 1st NSX and all the Zs. 

j_tso
j_tso Reader
11/18/20 8:27 p.m.

In reply to fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) :

I think Mazda's marketing at the time said it was due to the combustion in a rotary taking place away from the intake allowed the hydrogen not to pre-detonate or something like that.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EZm3KkJdQnK68Nyv2M69EtMdCVM62YUxgX9HPqAruXBliDmffBXffRPSoH75lNQ2