Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
9/28/20 4:13 p.m.
feature_image

As it turns out, Tesla wasn't the only company to use a Lotus chassis as the base for an electric car.

At the 2009 North American International Auto Show, the then-Chrysler Group unveiled electrified concepts to promote its upcoming ENVI electric car division. A Town & Country, a Jeep and the Dodge EV were slated to go to production.

The sleek-looking, two-seat, electric sports cars didn't quite look …

Read the rest of the story

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/28/20 4:17 p.m.

This is called "missing the boat".

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
9/28/20 4:19 p.m.

Man, I wonder how different things would be if not for the financial crisis. Remember Cash for Clunkers?

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
9/28/20 4:32 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

This is called "missing the boat".

That's it. This is the best comment that could be made.

Show's over.

EricM
EricM SuperDork
9/28/20 4:34 p.m.

I like it!

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
9/28/20 7:39 p.m.

Did anyone for even a second think they would build this?  That Viper-based Chrysler jukebox seemed more likely to enter into production than this thing.  And it isn't because the idea isn't sound; I think it's great and they used a good chassis and possible partner in Lotus to do this with.  It made plenty of sense but it would have been a commitment to something really new and risky.  Chrysler hasn't done that since, uh, the Viper?  The Prowler was not nearly as much of a commitment as Viper or this thing. 

A bunch of vulture capitalists and Fiat afterwards were not going to weather the storm when you've got Jeep and Ram sitting there making you money with so little comparative effort.  The engineering for this should have been sold back to Lotus for Proton to build.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wUByEbu5ut8Cggjf3okPhl5XyMDMwWbDs7ahlQTqQlNYbcYutLAsRf5TdyNUTIgh