Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
9/29/20 2:51 p.m.
feature_image

Picture it: You are a car manufacturer and you want to add a serious off-road vehicle to your lineup, but you need to have it ready no later than yesterday. What do you do?

If you are Honda in the early '90s, you go straight for one of the most well-known builders of off-road vehicles, Land Rover. (Of course, having a 20% …

Read the rest of the story

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/29/20 3:17 p.m.

Totally unaware of this.  Was it happening at the same time that the Sterling cars were being built in England?

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
9/29/20 3:21 p.m.

Well lack of sales success, didn't stop them from rebadging the Isuzu Rodeo to a Passport, or Isuzu Trooper to an Acura SLX.

Of course Isuzu took the Honda Odyssey and made it a Isuzu Oasis LOL

chaparral
chaparral Dork
9/29/20 3:42 p.m.

Is that the only production V8 Honda ever?

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/29/20 4:40 p.m.

Not as good as the 827SLi  That was the pinnicle of that relationship.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/29/20 4:43 p.m.

Is that actually spelled CRO$$ROAD ?

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
9/29/20 4:43 p.m.

Interesting that a company known for it's quality and reliability re-badges a vehicle from a company known for it's lack of quality and unreliability.  Seems like an odd business choice even if you are desperate for an off roady sort of vehicle.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/29/20 5:32 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

Well lack of sales success, didn't stop them from rebadging the Isuzu Rodeo to a Passport, or Isuzu Trooper to an Acura SLX.

Isuzu got the better end of that deal.   Oh the hate for looking up Isuzu parts or working on an Isuzu in a Honda store.  

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
9/29/20 7:28 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Totally unaware of this.  Was it happening at the same time that the Sterling cars were being built in England?

I don't know but the Sterling was the ultimate turd. 

boxedfox (Forum Supporter)
boxedfox (Forum Supporter) Reader
9/29/20 9:49 p.m.

In reply to Feedyurhed :

They really didn't want to build their own SUV. Tried the same thing with Isuzu twice before they built the Pilot. Then magically, everyone was happy. Especially the people who traded in their Passports for Pilots.

Vigo (Forum Supporter)
Vigo (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/29/20 10:32 p.m.

I had an Isuzu SUV that i thought was built wonderfully and was very reliable. It had a GM v6 and a japanese transmission. I contend that Isuzu SUVs didn't fall away from Honda levels of reliability until they had a Japanese v6 and a GM transmission! Unfortunately, those were the years Honda was rebadging them. 

Also, 827SLi? YES.

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
9/29/20 11:13 p.m.

Extra points for lack of rear passenger door on drivers side.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
9/29/20 11:21 p.m.
dxman92 said:

Extra points for lack of rear passenger door on drivers side.

There is a 5 door and a 3 door. Both are pictured above. 

Said in a different manner, all doors that open - have handles. 

if you look closely, the 3 door versions middle windows (the window after B pillar) jhave the 3 bolts on it and are fixed, whereas same windows on the 5 door, go down into the doors which open

RustBeltSherpa
RustBeltSherpa New Reader
9/30/20 4:08 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

4th, 5th generation Izuzu Geminis(1993-96; 1997-2000) were rebadged Honda Civics of the same vintage.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/1/20 3:31 p.m.

In reply to RustBeltSherpa :

I didn't know about the rebadged Civics. That's cool. Kinda. Looks like they offered just four- and five-door models. Was hoping for the EG hatch. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
10/1/20 4:35 p.m.
RustBeltSherpa said:
mr2s2000elise said:

4th, 5th generation Izuzu Geminis(1993-96; 1997-2000) were rebadged Honda Civics of the same vintage.

They were actually rebadged Honda Domanis

NorseDave
NorseDave Reader
10/1/20 4:59 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Sterling was more like '86.  A neighbor down the street was head of east coast distribution or something semi-high up in the Sterling corporate food chain (which I assume maxed out at like Cheetos), so I saw them daily when I was 10 or so.  Prior to that, or maybe concurrently, he was head of distribution for Maserati N. America.  So I also saw running, driving Biturbos all the time.  Sadly, at the age of 10 I did not realize I effectively lived down the street from a unicorn ranch.    

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/1/20 5:06 p.m.

As a man who has many rovers. I'd be pissed if I ended up with a rover when I bought a Honda. 

Vigo (Forum Supporter)
Vigo (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/1/20 11:38 p.m.

They were actually rebadged Honda Domanis

Until now i had not realized that the original CR-V was not styled after a Civic, it was styled after a Domani! Apparently! 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/2/20 7:11 a.m.

In other British car brand/ Honda badge swapping, the last model of car Triumph produced was a rebadge Honda Ballade called the Triumph Acclaim. There was also a turbo model.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
a7GaNBx0fJqw2L6nRuuwRU7y8IqLcjMwL9dwgWy2EBHcFg3N6kFHGPHcPUChJV9u