Swank Force One MegaDork
8/12/14 1:04 p.m.

2000 AP1 S2000.
Cigarette burn in passenger seat
Smells like smoke
Cracked front bumper
Small dent in rear bumper
Small dent in passenger front fender
Small crease in passenger rear quarter panel.

The good:
Top doesn't leak
Mechanically perfect
32k miles.

Silver w/ black interior.

I'm not asking what YOU would pay for it, but rather, how much could i sell it for?

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/12/14 1:08 p.m.

40 billion penalty laps if they even allow it through tech. very cheaty...

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
8/12/14 1:12 p.m.

Would need pics of damage to really say for sure. I would think you could get $8-9k for that due to low miles. I'd buy it. With that mileage the synchro issues probably are not issues yet.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/12/14 1:15 p.m.
clutchsmoke wrote: Would need pics of damage to really say for sure. I would think you could get $8-9k for that due to low miles. I'd buy it. With that mileage the synchro issues probably are not issues yet.

Are you saying that you personally would consider the car for $9k? (Easy sell to general public at $9k?)

Synchros are most definitely not an issue on this car.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non HalfDork
8/12/14 1:18 p.m.

10k is about right. The low miles is going to override everything else.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
8/12/14 1:20 p.m.

I think we'd need pics. Body damage makes it really difficult to sell an otherwise perfect vehicle.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/12/14 1:22 p.m.

I'm waiting on pics. My guess is that the damage will be on the mild side of things.

revhard
revhard New Reader
8/12/14 1:57 p.m.

i have a buddy who bought a silver ap1 with 27k miles on it. had a horrible body kit on it and ugly wheels and lights. he paid 14.5k. I helped him do an oil change and it was down 1.5 qts and he didn't see what the big deal was.

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
8/12/14 2:18 p.m.

I bet you could sell it for what you pay for it.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/12/14 2:22 p.m.
Sine_Qua_Non wrote: The low miles is going to override everything else.

I disagree. Everything else overrides the low milage.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
8/12/14 3:50 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
clutchsmoke wrote: Would need pics of damage to really say for sure. I would think you could get $8-9k for that due to low miles. I'd buy it. With that mileage the synchro issues probably are not issues yet.
Are you saying that you personally would consider the car for $9k? (Easy sell to general public at $9k?) Synchros are most definitely not an issue on this car.

Yes you could get that much for it. If I bat my eyes and start talking about f2ts inside of MR2 spiders would you make me a better deal?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/12/14 3:55 p.m.
clutchsmoke wrote:
Swank Force One wrote:
Are you saying that you personally would consider the car for $9k? (Easy sell to general public at $9k?) Synchros are most definitely not an issue on this car.
Yes you could get that much for it. If I bat my eyes and start talking about f2ts inside of MR2 spiders would you make me a better deal?

F2T MR-S? Boy does THAT sound like a horrible match.

I don't know how much better i'd be able to do than $9k after i handle all the transfer and delivery stuff. Car is on the other side of the country.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/12/14 4:24 p.m.

My thought with this car is that it would be best served as a base to have a beautiful AP1 with very low miles for under $15k all in once the issues were fixed, or a great start to an awesome "track beater."

Probably not a great S2000 fanboi car.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/12/14 4:26 p.m.

Depending how beat the body really is and is it horrible for the smoke smell, I could see writing a check for 10K for it. If it is really bad 8-9K but I'm not that big on looks so the 32K miles is more of a sell point for me. I can fix the rest.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/12/14 4:53 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote:
Swank Force One wrote: My thought with this car is that it would be best served as a base to have a beautiful AP1 with very low miles for under $15k all in once the issues were fixed, or a great start to an awesome "track beater." Probably not a great S2000 fanboi car.
It'd be easier and quicker to just buy one for $15K, and if it's for track use, buy a ratty one with higher miles for less.

There's minty 32k mile AP1s out there for under $15k?

Guess it doesn't matter. I was looking for "this should sell pretty easily in the $8-10k range" and it looks like i got it.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/12/14 7:14 p.m.

post it here first!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/12/14 7:35 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: ...the guys with money to spend do not want a car with issues, and the guys that will take a car with issues, do not have the money.

This bears repeating. In other words, if you want to sell a car to guys with money, fix the issues!

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/13/14 10:59 a.m.

Every s2000 on CL has a salvage title and sells for $10k+ with 100k miles. I'd take a body damaged 32k mile clean title with great maintenance for $10k for sure.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/13/14 2:53 p.m.

Point of order.

Every S2000 on CL has a salvage title and is advertised for $10k+.

It's funny how these cars become a semi-permanent fixture on CL while the ones that have a clean title and have been cared for have no trouble selling for $15k-$20k.

ryanty22
ryanty22 Dork
8/13/14 4:49 p.m.
Sine_Qua_Non wrote: 10k is about right. The low miles is going to override everything else.

This, unless bumper and body panels are smashed and badly repaired

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
8/13/14 5:02 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: Point of order. Every S2000 on CL has a salvage title and is *advertised* for $10k+.

Pretty much. I keep waiting for a rolled one to appear for 10K with the ad telling me you could make 20K fixing it.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/13/14 5:14 p.m.

Here's some pics of the damage. Warning: Car is really dirty.

Guessing this is the small crease he was talking about in the rear quarter:

Front bumper isn't great. Crack lower passenger side, pushed up in front of the driver's headlight somehow. Nothing damaged behind bumper that he can see.

Rear bumper damage:

Probably the worst damage. Says that someone backed into it in a parking lot, then paid the wrong people to repair it. I'd probably just throw a new fender at it.

What i'm getting out of this is that the car would be very presentable with a fender, front bumper, and a good cleaning.

BoxheadTim
8/13/14 5:20 p.m.

It's hard to assess how bad the paint is under all that dirt, though.

I'd also want to see more photos of the rear fender damage to ensure a paintless dent guy can get that out.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/13/14 5:23 p.m.

I'd assume the paint is definitely not showroom fresh.

Does this support the $10k asking price i'd probably throw on it after spending 60 minutes to wash it and vacuum the interior?

BoxheadTim
8/13/14 5:35 p.m.

Even with that mileage, I wouldn't really pay $10k for what I see in the pictures. The bumpers you need to replace aren't that cheap and you really don't want to get into paint, so you're looking at finding used ones out of another crashed car. That car may be sitting for a while until you've got all the bits assembled.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YVJdt8lllC2wxXCiyPVYADVDNrNOoIirVhPVIzYtOZG0ZMUJ7QtN4J8GySa4BkFI