1 2 3
Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
11/18/15 3:21 p.m.

Many of you already know we dragged home a 1973 Ford F-350 car hauler. The plan was to wait a while and then screw with it. Since it broke, and a. I didn't want a crippled F-350 in my yard and b. I am batE36 M3 crazy, we have nearly completed a blitzkrieg, four week restoration on the truck. The next step is to kit it out as a race support vehicle. We have talked about adding lighting (for safety and to work on cars at night) a generator, air compressor, possibly even an engine hoist. It already has new nice, large storage boxes, and I am adding a trailer hitch and multiple tie downs.

So, assuming we do want to keep this whole thing in the under $10,000 range (which so far, we have easily done) and we want to be sensitive (but not ruled by) the vintage theme and feel of this old truck, what would you do or want in your race support vehicle?

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/18/15 3:32 p.m.
Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
11/18/15 3:34 p.m.

Thanks, but I was looking for some more practical advice. Just trying to think of stuff, like a vise mounted in a trailer receiver, that sort of stuff.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/18/15 3:40 p.m.

Are any of the storage boxes tall enough to fit a 42" or longer butcher block top in? If so having on mounted to a heavy duty hinge setup to allow for a fold out work bench could be pretty awesome and provide flexibility for other additions that would use the bench space (such as presses)

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/18/15 3:48 p.m.

So, every ramp truck needs a heavy-duty winch to pull dead vehicles up the ramp, right?

What about adding a swinging boom arm that pairs with the winch to allow the winch to double as the engine/body/whatever hoist? Would also allow the ramp truck to load and unload heavy objects with ease.

Like this, with a much smaller boom.

Totally would love to see a fold-out grill in one of the boxes as well.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
11/18/15 3:54 p.m.

Now we are cooking. Table and grille. check!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
11/18/15 4:07 p.m.

I would move heaven and earth to find room for an Engle fridge (or the ARB alternative). I'd also look at some way to hang an awning from the back of the cab area so you can set up chairs on the deck for elevated viewing in the shade/dry.

pres589
pres589 UberDork
11/18/15 4:09 p.m.

Welder? Would a winch on the front be useful to extract cars out of ditches or yards or whatever before pulling them onto the truck?

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
11/18/15 4:15 p.m.

LP fridge from an RV.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/18/15 4:23 p.m.
captdownshift wrote: Are any of the storage boxes tall enough to fit a 42" or longer butcher block top in? If so having on mounted to a heavy duty hinge setup to allow for a fold out work bench could be pretty awesome and provide flexibility for other additions that would use the bench space (such as presses)

I'm digging this idea.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/18/15 4:31 p.m.

In reply to pres589:

One winch set up for a 2" receiver with a mount on the bed, front and rear bumpers would probably be ideal.

Type Q
Type Q Dork
11/18/15 4:32 p.m.

I wish I had something clever to add. My motorsport activities have been limited to local autocrossing and a few track days. I am watching Captdownshift's suggestions with great interest since he's one the people who does race support professionally.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
11/18/15 4:50 p.m.

A water tank with a faucet, not so much for drinking but for washing hands.

DatsunS130
DatsunS130 Reader
11/18/15 5:12 p.m.

Rooftop tent and/or canopy. Also the bench vise should be a vintage wilton "bullet" vise.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/18/15 5:19 p.m.

I wouldn't do an LP fridge, they're not as effective as a good ol' cooler full of ice.

The vise idea is great, especially with multiple receivers. For water, the classic orange cooler strapped behind the cab is 100% legit.

What's going to impress people is not the sheer number of toys, but the way it's set up. A well-organized tool drawer - the sort you can glance at and instantly identify any missing tools - is going to get a lot more attention than a gimmick.

The two things I need to bring to every track day (besides my QuickJack and tool box, which are both implied or covered here) are a canopy and a set of super-comfy zero-gravity chairs from Cabelas. The chairs take up more room than the usual camp chairs, but they are the envy of the paddock. Find a spot and you will be heroes

dropstep
dropstep HalfDork
11/18/15 5:25 p.m.

The air compressor, jack and toolbox cover my needs but the vice is a good idea! A torch set could be handy depending on the type of racing.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy SuperDork
11/18/15 5:32 p.m.

Your ramp bed needs another ramp, a lightweight deck that attaches to the front and can be raised in the rear to make it a level deck at loading dock height. Add a some posts for the corners to mount a tarp as a canopy and you have a perfect viewing, photographing, officiating, or public addressing platform.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/18/15 5:36 p.m.

Definitely a winch, with means to pull a really damaged car up with a minimum of fuss. Also room for a pit cart and a way to winch it up. I built a long skinny one that goes on from the side, ahead of the car.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/18/15 5:56 p.m.
oldopelguy wrote: Your ramp bed needs another ramp, a lightweight deck that attaches to the front and can be raised in the rear to make it a level deck at loading dock height. Add a some posts for the corners to mount a tarp as a canopy and you have a perfect viewing, photographing, officiating, or public addressing platform.

the loading dock height thing is a good idea, for picking up or dropping off crap at freight terminals when they don't have a roll out door for the forklift to get to you.

i'm watching all these ideas as i've collected almost everything to build my own, more heavy duty ramp truck. i plan to build a hitch into the back of the bed to pull trailer, because if pulling one car is good taking 2 is better.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
11/18/15 7:56 p.m.

Thanks and we will have the full story in the magazine. The truck has a very heavy winch on the front of the bed, so I don't think we need another one up front, plus the truck has the cool, optional chrome front bumper and bumper guards in great shape. The canopy over the bed idea might work, and honestly, most of the bed is already level.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/18/15 8:18 p.m.

A tire rack/storage box at the front of the deck:

And plenty of chicken lights:

NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
11/18/15 8:58 p.m.

I think that you should accessorize.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/18/15 9:00 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME:

Is that the stripper model?

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/18/15 9:04 p.m.
Robbie wrote: In reply to NOHOME: Is that the stripper model?

Yep. Row-your-own.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
11/18/15 9:11 p.m.

Inverter, pto for a blender out front . Dual batteries. Dual stick overdrive for when you want to stretch out. Safari rack for cab roof. Fuzzy dice.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qk6fNhGwiUUSRNzGTlLh5DuC8cD7vmdUddcoWZ0uDGyoHzn0dFGxawBS6A08pFb6