1 2 3
snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh Reader
11/19/15 1:48 a.m.

The welder can double as a generator, since that's basically what it is anyway.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
11/19/15 5:57 a.m.

I kind of like the stripper pole idea. No I don't!

I am fabricating a tire rack.

Papabear
Papabear New Reader
11/19/15 8:35 a.m.

LED lights, you can never have to many when your working on a car at night. The cheap ones are fine I have 4 sets of LED floodlights on my trailer. If they are all on it looks like daylight around it. If you have storage room on the truck this is a cool boom lift. It attaches to the receiver hitch and has it's own support legs. I saw a guy with one at Lowe's and had to ask where he got it. http://www.etrailer.com/Truck-Bed-Accessories/MaxxTow/MT70238.html?feed=npn&gclid=Cj0KEQiAg7ayBRD8qqSGt-fj6uYBEiQAucjOweC1YtVErCg9Owu-CHH_TdwnePCPDtBKmF85K_oClF8aAl8p8P8HAQ

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
11/19/15 9:14 a.m.

We've had a couple of these fire truck hand held lights over the years, but with the now prevalent LED tech, I might get another one of these.

http://www.streamlight.com/en-us/product/product.html?pid=174#tabs

The light can turn up and swivel around so you can plop it down and use it as a spot light. Get the vehicle mount and stash it in the cab or in one of the locked boxes out back.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
11/19/15 9:46 a.m.

In your original post there is mention of an engine hoist then is subsequent postings there is talk of a hitch mounted vice, winch and swing boom. This combo got me thinking more about engine hoist.

What if, you fabricated up a portable L-shaped bracket/boom that mounted to a rear receiver hitch? Lets roughly say that this L-bracket/boom is 4ft tall and then extended rearward about 3ft. At the top of this boom would be a roller and on the outmost extending portion another roller.
What I envision now is a boom that stands about 6ft tall when added to the rear hitch and then extends rearward about 3 ft. With the winch cable then run through the rollers, would this then have enough lifting power to act as a engine hoist?
What you would be left with would be a 4x3' L-shaped boom that would have to be stored somewhere in a box.
If this boom was more modular or "assembly required", you could have as little as a 4'piece of steel and a 3' piece of steel that needed to be stored. Add in a third piece of steel to give more triangulation and additional support to the boom.

This boom would not have swinging capabilities like shown in the picture posted earlier but it should have the ability to lift straight upward, like you might want for an engine hoist.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
11/19/15 9:52 a.m.

I think this thread also calls for pictures of the actual ramptruck in question.

ggarrard
ggarrard GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/19/15 10:04 a.m.

Designing the tire rack so that it can be removed when not needed helps reduce the wind noise if traveling empty. A tool box can also be added if extra storage is needed.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
11/19/15 10:12 a.m.

Insertable poles into the side of the ramp truck to support a hammock. You could possibly also utilize a bivy hammock for campability with the only concession being said poles and insert points/mounts. You could utilize similar to insert some kind of table into the side to serve as a work surface (or food surface depending on needs at the time)

I would second some kind of wash station as a nice thing. I would think it nice to be able to scrub up at your basecamp.

Folding bike and storage for it for pit transit? I would think that finding the right balance of usability and small stowage space would be a necessity.

Stowage space for an EZ-up, almost noone goes racing without at least one.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/19/15 10:16 a.m.

Look into air ride seats, or at least, a more modern bench. You can't wrench and race if your back is toast.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/19/15 11:16 a.m.

Needs moar air horns

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
11/20/15 1:10 p.m.

More good stuff guys. Tom and I are working on the truck this afternoon.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/21/15 9:40 a.m.

Sort of mentioned earlier, but on board air and hose reel, some means of 110v (and 220v), be it inverter, or generator. It would be super cool if these things could be mounted up under the bed, and only have outlets visible from outside. I'm thinking a variety of things to mount in the receiver hitch. Vice, anvil, engine stand, love JohnRW's mini boom idea, bench grinder, the list could be endless. Mount receivers in tool boxes to keep all these attachments secure in transit. Tractor supply sells umbrellas for tractors that might be worth a look.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette UltraDork
11/21/15 10:31 a.m.

%35 tint , fibreglass over the cab windshield visor , Old school bug shield , Classic Mtr sprt license plate, front mudflaps ,silver vent shades , pinstripe the hood flares ,upgrade headlights add fogs, buy parts truck Rear reese hitch mount

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Dork
11/21/15 12:25 p.m.

The hammock idea is really cool, if you don't have bugs you can sleep pretty nice on a hammock under an EZ Up.

As far as tables, I don't know if I would make one that bolts on to the truck, the folding plastic tables from Menards for $35 are pretty stout and more portable. Tough to play beer pong on the side of the truck.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
11/21/15 12:52 p.m.

need to integrate those ramps in the back

awning for working next to the truck so you don't need the ever annoying pop up shade things

lights for working at night. LED preferable for less heat, more light and less battery draw

120V inverter and/or pto air compressor with storage tank under bed

rubberized front push bar for when it all goes wrong on the track and you need a push back to the pits

i like the tire rack and in under it slide out tool storage so you don't have to reach in

trucker girl mud flaps with the cross out sign on it with No GGA written around it

or you could just keep it mostly stock and do a retro GRM paint job that would look modern in 79

but so far the mobile stripper pole idea was the best.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
11/21/15 1:31 p.m.

Once the car is unloaded and until the car is reloaded, the ramps do nothing.
Fabricating something like sawhorses, they could serve as a table or work surface.

Of course, the empty flatbed itself provides a lot of flat workspace.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/21/15 6:26 p.m.
Karl La Follette wrote: %35 tint , fibreglass over the cab windshield visor , Old school bug shield , Classic Mtr sprt license plate, front mudflaps ,silver vent shades , pinstripe the hood flares ,upgrade headlights add fogs, buy parts truck Rear reese hitch mount

I like the way you think. We seem to be picturing the same truck.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
11/21/15 7:50 p.m.

BBQ, seriously how can you not have a BBQ. Beer cooler and Food cooler cabinets, slide out table for food and for work. I run a car battery inside the trailer for use when power is not available, runs the winch, lights etc without killing the truck battery.

Have a really good swivel light mounted on the bed, it helps to do adjustments en route.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
11/22/15 7:46 a.m.

Tom and I got an air compressor and generator figured out and half way mounted yesterday.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
11/22/15 3:04 p.m.

What about some solar panels on the roof for battery, cell phone charging?

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
11/23/15 9:46 a.m.
93gsxturbo wrote: The hammock idea is really cool, if you don't have bugs you can sleep pretty nice on a hammock under an EZ Up. As far as tables, I don't know if I would make one that bolts on to the truck, the folding plastic tables from Menards for $35 are pretty stout and more portable. Tough to play beer pong on the side of the truck.

Hence the Bivvy hammock, covered and it gets you off the ground.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/23/15 9:58 a.m.

I second the need for lighting. Concealed LED lighting around the truck possibly mounted under the bed to allow working around the truck. Perminant lighting on teh back of the cab to allow easy loading or unloading at night in a field miles away from anywhere.

If possible add some lighting that can be mounted up high shining down on the bed or on a car next to the truck. These could be temporary that are on extendable post's / mounts that are removed and stored in the box's. With LED light the posts can be very small and light. I am wondering if there is some sort of aluminum telescopic poles that could then be stashed away when not in use.

sachilles
sachilles UltraDork
11/23/15 10:03 a.m.

put stake pockets on the side, was well as multiple receiver hitch holes. Always useful as additional tie down points, or a way to put vertical posts for everything like the suggest hammock, canopy, camp shower, paddock lighting etc. Receiver hitches are good for a million accessories already on the market, like grills, bike racks, bumper dumpers etc. Also think an on board water supply can very useful. Speakers with a stereo that can take an auxiliary input is nice for music, or race scanner.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
11/23/15 11:30 a.m.

Whatever you do, consider the extra weight of all you're doing. Like JohnRW1621 said up above, find multiple ways to use gear you have to bring anyway. I know it's a truck but 5 mpg and no hill-climbing ability is a drag. Balance the needs and the wants.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
11/24/15 10:01 p.m.

More good stuff. We got all the cabinets done today. And I started building wheel well arches between the front and rear cabinets out of a trailer fender I found at Northern Tool on close out for $17. I can't believe how great this is coming out. Should be all in for well under $10,000 and I think you guys will really like it. Picked up work lights and safety lights this weekend and am rigging up a trailer hitch next.

So far I have not added that much weight... maybe 300 pounds, as we took the old, rotten cabinets off.

If you had ever told me I would design and build a truck body, I would have told you you were crazy. Guess all those trips to truck body companies when I was a kid are still with me. My dad was a Ford truck dealer and I always went with him to pick up the custom work trucks he sold.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
A0fFD6SOrZw2COUx5PMWcDnmUSPei9dZsH8FiDCsF5wK7N5MUcDiXC0LuJpX8bkO