Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/31/08 2:18 p.m.

Has anyone here rebuilt a hydraulic jack?

I have a couple of them, but my Miata-friendly low profile jack has been leaking around the plunger (the small piston under the handle) for a while now. Is repairing the leak as simple as removing the threaded sleeve around the plunger and replacing an o-ring or is there more to it? I have visions of a bunch of springs and seals flying out of there.

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
10/31/08 2:42 p.m.

What would it cost to replace it?

Woody
10/31/08 2:48 p.m.

About $60.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG New Reader
10/31/08 3:33 p.m.

I've rebuilt a super-cheap jack about 8 times now. It uses a simple o-ring, and that's all I replace. Buy a couple 0-rings, and just to spite you it will probably never leak again.

Woody
10/31/08 6:18 p.m.
SkinnyG wrote: I've rebuilt a super-cheap jack about 8 times now. It uses a simple o-ring, and that's all I replace. Buy a couple 0-rings, and just to spite you it will probably never leak again.

...and there's the answer I was looking for!

EPcivic
EPcivic New Reader
10/31/08 8:50 p.m.

Or just drain the oil and put something thicker in - that'll stop a lot of leaks. Regular motor oil seems thicker than jack oil. Gear oil would be the next step. Might make it come down a little slower.

-Chris

beaulieu
beaulieu New Reader
10/31/08 9:50 p.m.

scary putting the wrong type of oil, might eat the seals or expand them the wrong way.....

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/2/08 8:55 a.m.

I have used gear oil in several jacks for years with no issues.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
E5xAsxvsvjNKfVaQzdGIXblLYMJVJs0PMvZeRkytjIy9zyIlK7zExwXB0j9EfEsK