1 2
Trackmouse
Trackmouse Dork
12/22/16 2:11 p.m.

I use a Mr heater on a propane tank. I have to stop at some point, roll the door up and free the carbon monoxide and start over. Any way around that?

rslifkin
rslifkin Dork
12/22/16 2:23 p.m.
Trackmouse wrote: I use a Mr heater on a propane tank. I have to stop at some point, roll the door up and free the carbon monoxide and start over. Any way around that?

Not without some kind of ventilation or outside air supply to the heater. It'll eventually use enough of the oxygen in your garage and not burn as well, leading to CO output starting to climb. And you also run into the issue of propane heaters dumping a ton of moisture into the air.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Dork
12/22/16 2:26 p.m.

In reply to rslifkin:

The high desert is nearly devoid of moisture here, but co3 can't be trifled with.

rslifkin
rslifkin Dork
12/22/16 2:29 p.m.
Trackmouse wrote: In reply to rslifkin: The high desert is nearly devoid of moisture here, but co3 can't be trifled with.

The moisture comes from burning propane. In theoretical perfect combustion, you'll get a bunch of carbon dioxide and water vapor. If the combustion is imperfect, you start getting carbon monoxide and other stuff.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/8/18 5:50 a.m.
rslifkin said:
It'll eventually use enough of the oxygen in your garage and not burn as well, leading to CO output starting to climb. 

Right. 

And once there is no oxygen left and the place is full of CO2, you’ll stop caring about how cold the darned shop is. Problem solved! sad

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
11/9/18 8:52 a.m.

Zombie thread, canoe deleted

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
11/9/18 10:52 a.m.
singleslammer said:

I have one of these (Click). It takes a bit to get up to heat but I have had good luck with it. I toss it in the garage when it gets really cold and if keeps moderately comfy all winter. Nice thing is that it won't start a fire as it can't be much hotter than 130 degrees known the surface. Definitely recommend over what you posted.

I have one very similar to yours that I picked up at Lowes.  I've been pleased with it for the same reasons.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
4/20/20 2:27 p.m.
monroe03 said:

I have been using Dr Infararad DR698 for a long time and I found it best 120 volt heater. You can read the complete review about it on (link removed). Thanks me later!

I was going to buy one of these $24 ones https://www.homedepot.com/p/1500-Watt-Milkhouse-Utility-Electric-Portable-Heater-with-Thermostat-Black-DQ1409BLK/206112680 but the one you linked is so much nicer!

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
4/20/20 6:26 p.m.

monroe23 is a spammer, this is a zombie thread.

EastCoastMojo (Forum Supporter)
EastCoastMojo (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
4/20/20 8:07 p.m.

Canoe has been removed. 

Vigo (Forum Supporter)
Vigo (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/20/20 10:45 p.m.

I dunno where i was in 2016 or 2018 but nobody really mentioned that on a 120v circuit everything is rated 1500w anyway and because converting electricity to heat is basically 100% efficient, they're all functionally more or less the same and the only real factors are whether the strength or adjustability of the fan matters to you, and the longevity of the thing. But in terms of total heat output over a relatively long time period, they will all be very very similar.  Just buy the cheapest thing you think won't fall apart and crank it. 

I dont use a space heater in my 500sqft shop. I use two fairly large heat lamps pointed at my work area. I have 240 so i may install a 240 electric heater at some point, but i doubt it. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
4/21/20 12:22 a.m.
Vigo (Forum Supporter) said:

I dunno where i was in 2016 or 2018 but nobody really mentioned that on a 120v circuit everything is rated 1500w anyway and because converting electricity to heat is basically 100% efficient, they're all functionally more or less the same and the only real factors are whether the strength or adjustability of the fan matters to you, and the longevity of the thing. But in terms of total heat output over a relatively long time period, they will all be very very similar.  Just buy the cheapest thing you think won't fall apart and crank it. 

I mentioned it back then.

stuart in mn said:

The biggest electric heater you're going to find that plugs into a regular 120vac outlet is 1500 watts. As a couple others have mentioned, a little milkhouse heater is probably the best choice - they're inexpensive, usually pretty durable, and are available most anywhere.

Vigo (Forum Supporter)
Vigo (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/21/20 12:28 a.m.

Well most of my point was the rest of it, that they all really do do basically the same thing.  When converting electricity to heat there is an unusually small number of variables. The only 'waste' in the process would be whatever visible light the thing is putting off by glowing. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
4/21/20 10:37 a.m.

I ordered this for my sunroom last night. It is the one with the oscilliating fan. $130. 

Lets see how it works. 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dr-Infrared-Heater-Elite-Series-1500-Watt-Dual-Heating-System-Infrared-Portable-Heater-with-Built-In-Ultrasonic-Humidifier-Oscillating-Fan-DR998/205665565

My space is 400 sq feet. And temps are 50-62F in the evenings, when we would use it. My plan is to spray the outside and paint it gray, to match the theme of the room, when it comes in 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lYq0sCAeW3rrU1IcMxwMCe8VaZ0WGyEErGawYLGdZf9fwvraKogTJWuwR921Q4lU