1 2
SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/2/18 1:05 p.m.

In reply to No Time :

That’s a great thought, not sure. Mine’s a 99. I know that engine changed in 03, but the body was the same until 06 (IIRC). Not sure about the wiring harnesses. 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/2/18 1:19 p.m.
z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/2/18 1:23 p.m.
SVreX said:

In reply to 93gsxturbo :

Have you had success quieting the cabin of a 7.3L?

I get your point, but have you tried, on your own vehicle to see if it works for you?

I've had a few older vehicles that sound deadening made a huge difference. Completely worth the effort.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/2/18 1:23 p.m.
SVreX said:

In reply to John Welsh :

“Reach for it and plug it into your handset” is not hands free. That’s illegal in GA. 

What if you just put it on when you get in the truck?

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/2/18 4:02 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

I didn’t really have a point. It was a real question. 

There is quite a bit of sound deadening under the carpet, but the Dynamat is still worth the effort. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/2/18 4:03 p.m.
OHSCrifle said:
SVreX said:

In reply to John Welsh :

“Reach for it and plug it into your handset” is not hands free. That’s illegal in GA. 

What if you just put it on when you get in the truck?

That sounds obvious, but I usually drive 3 hours at a time when I get in the truck. I’d rather not wear a headset continuously (but I will, if I can’t find a better solution)

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
12/2/18 4:58 p.m.
SVreX said:

In reply to ClemSparks :

That’s a good suggestion. 

I don’t like sticking stuff in my ear, but the headphone version may work. 

So, you use yours as a headset to listen to music from your phone?

I use it for talking on the phone and for streaming stuff when driving a vehicle without an aux input or bluetooth stereo (though, I don't have anything with a bluetooth receiver yet).  The crown vic has AM/FM only, so occasionally I put the earpiece in and listen to Junior Brown or the Beastie Boys on Pandora.

For this type of use (driving, walking around the warehouse listening to a conference call), I actually much prefer the one-ear-only type of aparatus vs. two-eared earbuds, headphones, etc.  

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
12/2/18 5:04 p.m.
Run_Away said:
SVreX said:

In reply to Run_Away :

Because the existing stereo speakers are too far from the driver to hear clearly. 

Its one thing to sort of hear random background music over the noise. It’s another to have to listen to a business conversation with any clarity. 

I highly doubt a small compact battery powered Bluetooth speaker is going to be louder/clearer than a ~200 watt head unit and matching speakers, regardless of placement.

I have pioneer Bluetooth head units in both my v6 swapped Sentra with loud exhaust and my street mod class autox Civic, I sometimes have issues picking up a call but once the connection is made sound quality is decent enough. I'm pretty sure the unit has two separate volumes for music and calls so you can have phone calls cranked and music at a normal level.

Have you ever been in a parking lot going into or out of a store and heard someone driving slowly through the parking lot broadcasting their phone call to everyone in earshot because they have it piped through their car stereo turned up to 11?  I have.  I don't want to be that guy for at least 2 reasons.

Please know I'm not saying your suggestion is wrong or bad...I'm just stating reasons I'm not a fan of having conversations in my car on the speakers.  I'm not a spearkerphone guy as a rule though.  It's pretty rare for me to use the speaker phone function.   This obviously (as evidenced by the parking lot example) doesn't apply to everyone.

On Edit:  I see you were referring to a bluetooth speaker...not a headset.  My bad.  

My point about privacy and courtesy to others around you still stands though ;)

rebeccasmith52
rebeccasmith52 New Spammer
1/21/20 6:25 a.m.

Are you watching for the [best canoe for straight rivers?] You have come to the correct place to get your answer. Your choices are quite limited in that case. [Canoers] who love to play straight need to think fewer factors during [canoe] selection than those [paddlers] who love to play a curved or hooked [rapids]. 

chaparral
chaparral Dork
1/21/20 9:10 a.m.

Wired headset with over-the-ear headphones and a throat microphone. 

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/21/20 9:42 a.m.

Ever tried a set of bone conduction headphones? There are wired versions you could just plug into the phone, andcan control calls from a few buttons on the set.

I recently got a set by a brand called Aftershokz (I know, corny) but they seem to be a quality product and not more than a set of nice bluetooth earpods. There are cheaper knockoffs on amazon if you wanted a lower risk option to try first. I had been able to try the aftershokz belonging to a friend, and just wanted to get something I knew worked, so ordered the "name brand".

edit: berkeleying canoe. ugh.

ShinnyGroove
ShinnyGroove Reader
1/21/20 9:48 a.m.

You have three issues at play with phone calls in a noisy vehicle.

1) your ability to hear the other caller.  Generally overcome by turning the volume up, and the easiest problem to solve.

2) the caller's ability to hear you.  Your signal to noise ratio is inherently bad and there's little that can be done to overcome it.

3) feedback from #1 into #2, which conspires against all of this with no easy solution.

My engineer's mind thinks that the only way to really improve this situation is with some pretty advanced DSP that can filter out background noise and feedback.  My wife got me Apple Airpods for Christmas, and I've been amazed at how well other people can hear me even in noisy environments.  I know you didn't want earbuds but I think there aren't many good solutions to this problem.  

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
3/5/20 7:34 a.m.

canoe bumped for the second time

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
3/14/20 6:56 a.m.

Screw it canoe or not I'll put my 0.02 in.

I, too spend a lot of time in my Ford Super Duty, and I, too, often have to make many calls for business hands-free in it. Mine is a V10, but it came with horrible mud tires so I know all about cabin noise. 

First, yes, you need a good head unit and good speakers. That fixes the problem. 

Get a decent CarPlay/Android auto radio, clip the microphone at the driver's top corner of the windshield, and swap the front speakers for something good. It's easy work in these trucks and no wire cutting/splicing is necessary. Order it all from Crutchfield so every adapter is included.

The result is clear phone conversations that you don't have to turn the volume up to 11 for.

I use this radio: 

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158XAV1000/Sony-XAV-AX1000.html?omnews=15583421

And these speakers:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BF6HVGY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_FwmBEbW2PCM0N

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/14/20 9:42 a.m.

I have a 97 7.3 and I use a little plug in to the cigarette lighter to bluetooth to radio thing and it works pretty well.  I talk on it fairly often.  It is annoying to find "empty radio airspace" once in a while.  

Honestly, I'd change out your door weather stripping if it's not closing well, or the door latch grommets that hold the door tightly closed.  I just did 1600 miles in the last week in the truck at 75mph and it was quiet enough to talk, tires do make a difference though. 

scooterfrog
scooterfrog Reader
3/14/20 10:49 a.m.

In reply to SVreX :

Massachusetts just passed the hands free law.  You are allowed to answer and connect

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
3/14/20 1:13 p.m.
OHSCrifle said:

Noise canceling headset, one ear

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/vxi-blueparrott-b450-xt-bluetooth-headset-black/5757701.p?skuId=5757701&ref=212&loc=1&extStoreId=516&ds_rl=1255843&ds_rl=1260579&ds_rl=1266837&ref=212&loc=1&ds_rl=1266837&ds_rl=1255843&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI05OZzO6B3wIVirbICh2vsgTHEAQYHiABEgKTsvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Trucker headset review:

https://www.ezinvoicefactoring.com/best-bluetooth-headsets-for-truckers

I went through many BT units before I found the Blueparrott B250XT. Spent 100's of $ on junk and tickets.

The cops and judges did not recognize my status as a trained professional, even though I could Juggle a water bottle, a CB, a Cheeseburger, my Phone, and still shift 18 gears.

The B250XT was night and day AWSOME, no quirks, my only complaint is the range is kind of short.

If the B450 is better that would be my choice. If my 5 year old B250 ever fails.....

ChrisLS8
ChrisLS8 Reader
3/14/20 8:39 p.m.

In situations like this you want to put in sound deadener instead of trying to fight the noise

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/14/20 8:42 p.m.

Pretty sure SVreX is driving a Ecoboost F150 now. I think the SD got bent. I'm betting it's quiet as a tomb compared to the 7.3. 

sleepyhead the buffalo
3/23/20 5:54 a.m.

this thread was bumped due to an E36 M3 canoe

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
3/24/20 1:31 p.m.
Toyman01 said:

Pretty sure SVreX is driving a Ecoboost F150 now. I think the SD got bent. I'm betting it's quiet as a tomb compared to the 7.3. 

Yep. Can't even hear the engine.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/11/20 11:57 a.m.

Good grief. 

I see no useful purpose to this thread any more. Spammers keep reviving it. Mods, please feel free to lock it. 

sleepyhead the buffalo
4/11/20 12:07 p.m.

In reply to SVreX (Forum Supporter) :

Affirmative 

1 2

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
2CpNIV51uvmWj4X4AjLt1bPRKn8gbW9M4MwuLQtPzrJ3IOSbioYNAkkNtu5Vobyq