1 2
captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/13/14 6:52 a.m.

background, in november i took a tumble down a flight of stairs taking my then 12 week old puppy out at 4am. broken collarbone, shoulderblade, torn labrum and rotorcuff and 2.5 months later and now an infection that very likely will result in the lose of my right arm. (If you have an event that you want to take part in or project that you have on the shelf that you've been meaning to get around to completing, do it, don't wait, make the time, find the time and just freaking do it, no excuses. you never know wheen something may happen that will suddenly take away your ability to do so).

Reliabilty is going to be important as i won't have the ability to do as much work on it myself as i wouldn't been in the past. I've alwas had manuals and have honestly found autos to be boring. I always enjoyed driving the back roads in northern baltimore and harford counties (and up into york county pa around delta, pa) on the weekends as an escape.

NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
1/13/14 7:00 a.m.

Mazda 3.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
1/13/14 7:10 a.m.

So, so sorry to hear that!
In an attempt to inject some humor to the situation... shall we now call you CaptAutoShift.

I have noticed a trend here on the board. Those who once enjoyed the thrill of power (like big engines) are now finding thrill and interest in the cutting edge of power and the technology that goes with it. With that in mind, a Chevy Volt may interest you (and the warranty that come with it.) The Chevy Cruise diesel also may interest you. I know a guy locally who just got rid of a Hemi Charger and replaced it with a diesel Cruise. He was bragging and highly impressed with the amount of HP the diesel makes as well as his quest for 50 mpg runs.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
1/13/14 7:27 a.m.

When I think automatic I think Torque, I think V8. How about a late new edge SN95 Mustang? It may not be a scalpel, but hammers are fun too.

Very very sorry about your situation. I hope 'very likely will result in the loss of my right arm.' works out as 'I thankfully got to keep my arm and it's back to normal.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
1/13/14 7:32 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: When I think automatic I think Torque, I think V8. How about a late new edge SN95 Mustang? It may not be a scalpel, but hammers are fun too. Very very sorry about your situation. I hope 'very likely will result in the loss of my right arm.' works out as 'I thankfully got to keep my arm and it's back to normal.

This. What about a Goat or G8?

captdownshift
1/13/14 7:35 a.m.

I hadn't thought of a diesel cruze (or new which i could finance and swing). My mom actually has one i haven't gotten around to taking it for a spin though. I'll look into if it chain or belt. I'll be hoping to autocross and rallycross whatever i end up with (using a suicide knob since i'll be legal).

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
1/13/14 7:44 a.m.

Yeah, I sort of glossed over the $6k cap but a car is always going to cost something additional. If you sense you will not be doing self repairs but rather paying retail for repairs at a shop, your budget may appreciate the predictability of owning a car (with car payment) that is newer and has a warranty.
Of course, the above statements are dependent on you not foreseeing your injuries effecting your income stream.

Adrian_Thompson
1/13/14 7:57 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
Adrian_Thompson wrote: When I think automatic I think Torque, I think V8. How about a late new edge SN95 Mustang? It may not be a scalpel, but hammers are fun too. Very very sorry about your situation. I hope 'very likely will result in the loss of my right arm.' works out as 'I thankfully got to keep my arm and it's back to normal.
This. What about a Goat or G8?

If you can get a GTO for $6K I'd be all over that.

captdownshift
1/13/14 8:53 a.m.

the mazda 3 is definitely on the short list, if i trusted vw's the gti/gtd would be. I may look at some of the kia/hyundai turbo cars as well

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
1/13/14 9:00 a.m.

For what it is I love driving the GS430 but it's definitely not an autocross contender at close to 3700 pounds. It's powerful and handles well. Try one out and make sure you fit before buying, the seating position is set up for long legs and short arms, I have long legs long arms and have some trouble getting comfortable. Not a ton of head room either.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
1/13/14 9:07 a.m.

I cannot say anything negative about the ZF slushbox in my wife's '05 325xi. In sport mode it is pretty good at choosing gears and holding on until redline.

Ours has been reliable as an anvil for 120k+ miles so far but at your price point you have to shop well and carefully to get one without a bunch of deferred maintenance. That can be a killer number on a neglected car. But, if you were considering anything from VW... you were expecting an order of magnitude more trouble for your money anyway ;)

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/13/14 9:18 a.m.

Non-turbo Imprezza?

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
1/13/14 9:48 a.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: Non-turbo Imprezza?

I have an 04 2.5rs with an automatic (was moms car, buying from her for fiance). I find the auto to not work very well for sporting aspirations, it simply takes too long to kick down. Plus we have had some small problems with the trans that make me think it wouldnt last under abuse.

Think about mustangs, they are fun, but need some frosting (suspension work for 04 and earlier). Suggest finding one with springs, shocks, and camber plates already done. That said, nowhere competitive to auto-x it until you get to ESP lunacy.

C4 corvette might be a possibility at that price, but age and reliability is something for you to feel out.

P71? would be comfy, but heavy.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 HalfDork
1/13/14 10:03 a.m.

2.5T S60 or S40 or 2.4T V70 would fit you're criteria. Can get the AWD versions of each at your price point if you look hard enough, but more parts = more weight slightly less reliability (more crap to wear out/break) and less fuel economy.

There are early, automatic S60R and V70R in your price point too, they're going to be higher mileage, likely due for maintenance that's likely to make them cost prohibitive.

• Lee
ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
1/13/14 12:15 p.m.

Slightly on-topic... Did you acquire the infection while hospitalized after an admission screening (that ruled out any existing infections upon admission)?

In other words, did you get the infection from the hospital? (Nosocomial infection).

Btw, how much is a Marauder?

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
1/13/14 12:27 p.m.

This. Mustang. Even Camaro. For some reason, while people make fun of getting a "sports car" with an automatic, having a muscle car with an automatic is just fine. And let's face it, how many of the classic muscle cars actual had autos? LOTS of them!

captdownshift
1/13/14 1:20 p.m.

In reply to ebonyandivory:

the onset of the infection occured post surgery. However it isn't my first go around with MRSA, I dealt with it in the fall and winter of 2000 in the same shoulder actually, it stemmed from the artifical turf at the practice facility where i attended school

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
1/13/14 2:07 p.m.

First, really sorry to hear about the situation. That's awful. Wishing you the best.

As for the car, perhaps a Civic would fit the bill. Affordable, uber reliable, good handling, great aftermarket support. It'll be a needle in a haystack but maybe you can find one with some suspenion/engine mods that isn't also completed riced out in looks.

Adrian_Thompson
1/13/14 2:45 p.m.
Klayfish wrote: First, really sorry to hear about the situation. That's awful. Wishing you the best. As for the car, perhaps a Civic would fit the bill. Affordable, uber reliable, good handling, great aftermarket support. It'll be a needle in a haystack but maybe you can find one with some suspenion/engine mods that isn't also completed riced out in looks.

Can't argue with Civic and reliability in the same sentence, but for an auto I want low end torque, and that doesn’t spring to mind in a Civic.

I want a torque figure starting with a '2' at an rpm that also starts with a 2 or 3. The car that converted me from the 'auto's suck, to 'I could live with this' was an L98 Corvette. More torque than HP. High torque at low rpm makes a car feel quicker and more fun than it is. Auto's coupled to small / low torque engines are fine for appliances, but my assumption is that the OP is looking for more than an appliance. Also his life is possibly going to massivly changed and not in a good way, so a ray of sunlight in a fun car could be just what the doctor should have ordered.

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
1/13/14 3:05 p.m.

I've seen a fair number of LT1 powered auto Corvettes in that price range, that would be a ton of car for $6000. They are fast and fun. Not the easiest to get in and out of so perhaps a test would be in order.

beans
beans Dork
1/13/14 8:26 p.m.

Z28, Formula/trans am, Mustang GT, 540i, E430, basically anything with a V8. Small trucks/suv's with V8's are highly entertaining.

carbon
carbon HalfDork
1/13/14 9:04 p.m.

IS300

sanman
sanman Reader
1/13/14 9:57 p.m.

Not that reliable and not in your budget, but Grand National/GNX/ Regal T-type. Also, an early mazda 6 should do you just fine and I think that auto rx-8 can be had in your price.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
1/13/14 10:24 p.m.

The several fusion company cars I've had have all been stupid reliable at least up to 60k miles. All have been 4cyl autos and are not awful to drive. They really handle better than you would think. Should be eady to find under 6k.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke HalfDork
1/14/14 8:38 a.m.
beans wrote: Z28, Formula/trans am, Mustang GT, 540i, E430, basically anything with a V8. Small trucks/suv's with V8's are highly entertaining.

If stuck with auto I would go with these.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4RBWlmmn39a3l6DnCAVjsfWRuOyGcX2EImxdY2xQ2Ahgcl8fACG1rurqGkjFUkxy