Taiden
Taiden HalfDork
6/7/11 8:09 a.m.

Now I'm no material scienmatist, but it seems to me that rubber dries out and cracks because it loses something over time. Is there any way to recondition a rubber piece that hasn't begun cracking, by reintroducing the thing that is lost?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......

rob_lewis
rob_lewis Dork
6/7/11 8:47 a.m.

A long time ago, someone recommended Gummi-Pflege at my local BMW dealer. Kinda like leather hide food for rubber. Usually takes a few applications, but seems to restore old rubber seals really well.

-Rob

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
6/7/11 8:54 a.m.

I don't know how much truth there is to it, but I have always heard that brake fluid will make rubber soft again.

Josh
Josh Dork
6/7/11 8:57 a.m.

Gummi-pflege works well on window and door seals that have absolutely no load carrying capacity, but I don't think I'd try it on suspension bushings or engine mounts.

Taiden
Taiden HalfDork
6/7/11 8:59 a.m.

haha oh my. I dont think I want to recondition loaded rubber. I was thinking more like brake caliper slider pin boots, weatherstripping, etc etc.

Uncoiled
Uncoiled New Reader
6/7/11 9:12 a.m.

Ive heard peanut butter works, never tried it though...

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/7/11 9:37 a.m.

Never had any luck reconditioning old rubber.. just seems a stopgap measure.

Josh
Josh Dork
6/7/11 10:07 a.m.

Brake caliper boots are cheap, just replace them and the pins every second brake job or something. It'd be as much work to get in and treat them as it would to just replace them.

Gummi-pflege is good for door seals and the like though. I think Bill Dodge BMW probably has it, if not Bavauto definitely does. I have a bottle in the garage if you're ever in Saco/Biddeford.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/7/11 12:34 p.m.

Having worked in the elastomers industry for 12 years, I can tell you that nothing will recondition rubber chemically.

Taiden
Taiden HalfDork
6/7/11 12:47 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: Having worked in the elastomers industry for 12 years, I can tell you that nothing will recondition rubber chemically.

Good enough for me.

Out of curiosity though, what is actually happening to the rubber when it ages? What causes aging, and what combats aging?

fritzsch
fritzsch New Reader
6/7/11 12:51 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: Having worked in the elastomers industry for 12 years, I can tell you that nothing will recondition rubber chemically.

Not with that attitude, if you can dream it you can do it!

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
6/8/11 7:14 p.m.

OK. Not disputing you. Simply asking for what you think happens.

Why is it that I can take an old garden hose that is stiff as a wooden plank, soak it in armorall and let it sit in the sun for a day, and it becomes soft? The same hose that has been sitting in the sun all summer, refusing to become soft. It certainly seems to be a chemical softening.

And secondarily, what have you seen with regards to preservatives that are supposed to prevent the degradation from happening in the first place?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vaFTGMgJu6JbEZpwhKxCMjIXgt4sd9qc07lU7zRTh1hfEhsBaoTXzjMnzlJgHGOt