David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/18/18 1:31 p.m.
feature_image

The Red Bull Global Rallycross seemingly had it all, from megastars like Ken Block, Travis Pastrana and Tanner Foust to factory support from Honda, Volkswagen, Subaru, Ford and Hyundai. Teams associated with Michael Andretti and Bryan Herta also had skin in the game, while races were broadcast live on NBC. Then there was the title sponsor: Red Bull, a company …

Read the rest of the story

dxman92
dxman92 Reader
4/18/18 5:25 p.m.

This sounds ugly after reading a couple different articles concerning it. It is a shame if all true. sad They had some good racing last season.

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
4/18/18 5:39 p.m.
jdoc90
jdoc90 New Reader
4/18/18 6:16 p.m.

how do  you spell death M O N E Y !  Always the cause ,pretty soon I see all professional racing being either legislated out of existence due to ecologically damaging effects, unless electric only ,and the demographic bust .No young people who drive or care about cars and only live virtual fake lives with no actual experiences desired .It is the way of the world, Change is the only constant .All things die and are replaced by something technologically new and shiny for a while .I love rally , i love driving fast , I also see too many human problems and not enough money going to help people to live better .same with going to mars ,just stupid waste .Drill some frickin wells in countries with people who have no clean water or enough food .Then maybe later sell them sports that appeal them since they now don't have to worry about dying today .We need to find a balance or motor powered things will be taken away by the powers that be .   

Trackmouse
Trackmouse UltraDork
4/18/18 6:41 p.m.

Was my comment removed, or did it just not go through? 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
4/18/18 7:39 p.m.

In reply to jdoc90 :

????

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/18/18 7:52 p.m.

That sucks. Rallycross was some of the only racing I liked to watch on tv. 

te72
te72 Reader
4/18/18 8:19 p.m.
Trackmouse said:

I've noticed this on a couple news articles I've posted on, that I'm fairly certain I've posted on, anyway. Might be getting a case of the Sometimer's on my end...

Shame about the rally racing though, it certainly was entertaining.

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
4/19/18 8:08 a.m.

This is a shame, I read that Ken Block will be starting his own series, so Rallycross might not be dead. It would be cool if they had a kartcross support race.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
4/19/18 9:34 a.m.
Trackmouse said:

Are you maybe thinking about this thread: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/is-red-bull-global-rallycross-dead/138761/page1/

That was a discussion rather than a news post and I still see a post from you there.

sachilles
sachilles UltraDork
4/19/18 4:54 p.m.

It's a bit of a nasty situation. There is more to it than has been published thus far. It's a shame as there are some good workers in the GRC.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
4/19/18 5:13 p.m.

I was disappointed they didn't return to D.C. last year but I've said it before they needed to get merchandising up to NASCAR levels especially at the track to help imprint the series in peoples minds.  It just seemed silly to have such limited marketing at the actual race.  

And how long before someone turns up with an ex-GRC car at $20xx? laugh

p.s. at full throttle before launch they sounded awesome.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/19/18 6:47 p.m.

In reply to sachilles :

agreed on all accounts.

My commentary from facespace was: GRC was dead to me when they got rid of the 2WD amateur class and wasn't even worth following when they started releasing a new spec class seemingly each year. Spec classes are the sign of a desperate organization trying to lock in guaranteed income via a spec vehicle sponsor and provider, a spec tire and spec brake provider all in exchange for guaranteed sales revenue from the captive audience of competitors within the field. It's the ultimate whoring out by a sanctioning body. Worst part is that the 2WD would've taken off in terms of entry numbers at individual events, just don't make it a points series with national travel. There are hundreds if not thousands of IT class SCCA racers with non competitive cars within the class who are bored with pushing sub 200hp (mostly) FWD cars around their local road courses and can't get more than $4k for them if they attempt to sell. Euro rallycross or even rallysprints (if they change their suspension setup) is the perfect playground for these obsolete but properly (in theory) prepped cars.

That being said GRC did an excellent job of exposing the American public to euro rallycross, There are multiple cable sports networks, (i.e. not buried deep in cable hell that is velocity/Motortrend or TEN) that air ERC and other rallycross. They're going to capitalize on it's growth stateside and as mentioned earlier in this thread, you'll be seeing FIA sponsored rallycross in North America for more than 2 events a year and expect to see an E-class of all electrics coming sooner rather than later. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Qp4JPC83uQYW4VjziAqlaAMe8C2l4iLRvP2wDy5Pnb82LQ3qBV6lx0QSMBro9Hkw