1 2
fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/25/15 10:41 a.m.

I have nothing to add in the debate.
I will say I buy my Redline fluids (and Motorcraft specific fluids for our Expedition) from the sellers on Amazon. I have no idea how some of these folks can sell stuff so cheap and include freight. Its like pennies from heaven.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
3/25/15 10:49 a.m.

I ran Motul in my NA Miata and then my RX7's original drivetrain. Great results - no complaints.

The new RX7 drivetrain is getting all Amsoil and my new NC Miata is getting it as well. I know too many people who have had great luck with the stuff to ignore it any longer.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/25/15 11:30 a.m.

And Royal Purple just got back to me with way more information than I expected. What they lack on there web site they make up for in a big way when you ask them a specific question!!!!

Good Morning Dean,

Listed below is our recommended Royal Purple products for your 2004 Jaguar X-Type 3.0L AWD. If there is more than one option listed, below the higher performing option will be listed first.

• Auto. Transmission: Royal Purple Max ATF (part #01320, quart bottle); dry fill- 9.3 quarts

• Differential:Royal Purple Max Gear 75W-140 (part #01301, quart bottle); 1.2 quarts

• Transfer Case:Royal Purple Max Gear 75W-140 (part #01301, quart bottle); 0.65 quarts

• Engine: Royal Purple HPS 5W-30 (part #31530, quart bottle), Royal Purple HMX 5W-30 (part #11744, quart bottle), Royal Purple SAE 5W-30 (part #01530, quart bottle); 6.1 quarts

• Oil Filter:Royal Purple Extended Life Oil Filter #20-400

• Power Steering: Royal Purple Max EZ (part #01326, 12 oz. bottle), Royal Purple Max ATF (part #01320, quart bottle)

All of our products are available through O’Reilly Auto (in store or ordered from warehouse). You can also get our products from several other auto part stores that are in your area such as Napa, CarQuest, Pep Boys, Advanced Auto, and AutoZone. You can check with them to see if they can special order products that they do not carry on the store shelf.

All of our products can be ordered from several online companies.

• http://www.amazon.com/
  • http://www.summitracing.com/
  • http://www.lucky7trucks.com/
  • http://www.jegs.com/
  • http://paceperformance.com/

Thank you for choosing Royal Purple, and have a great day!

Best Regards,

Cody Bartkowiak Automotive, Technical Support

p 281 354 8600 f 281 354 7600

e CBartkowiak@royalpurple.com

One Royal Purple Lane Porter, TX 77365

From: Dean Smith Sent: Tuesday, March 24, 2015 9:25 PM Subject: Transmission Fluid for 2004 Jaguar X Type 3.0l AWD Importance: High

Hi,

I am looking to see If you have an automatic transmission fluid that would be appropriate for my car. (2004 Jaguar X Type 3.0l AWD) The dealer specification is WSS-M2C922-A1.

Additionally I would be interested in Gear oil for the Differential and the transfer case. (it uses the same 75-140 GL5 Gear Oil in both)

I will be removing both the transmission and the Transfer case this weekend and would like to replace the oil in them while they are out of the car.

Many thanks!!!

Respectfully, Dean Smith

dean1484
3/25/15 11:32 a.m.
Spoolpigeon wrote: The post above this is wrong because my one friend says oil X is the bestest. Use oil X. The post below this is total horseE36 M3 too.

Hay Steve . .. . . . .Get off my lawn!!!!!

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
3/26/15 7:53 a.m.

For ATF I've had great luck with RP's Max ATF in towing and drag cars used in in Power steering too. There engine oil well.... I'll just say never ever again 3 different motors did not like it.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/26/15 8:02 a.m.
Will wrote: Redline MT90 is what all the cool kids put in their MR2s.

Unless it is a 91-92 Turbo, in which case the REALLY cool kids put in RL Shockproof light weight (the blue stuff.) BTW, both should probably specify this is for the gearbox.

dean1484
3/26/15 8:59 a.m.

I have decided to go with Amesoil. The rep is delivering what I need to the shop.

Now to start a thread about flushing transmission cooling lines and Coolers.

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Reader
3/26/15 2:49 p.m.
The issue is that the ATF from the dealer is $50 a quart!!!! I will need 9 Qts.

Which dealer? Jaguar, Land Rover, Ford, Mazda, and VW all used that transmission. For the one in the Mazda MPV I had, I found fluid at Walmart that met the spec, Valvoline I think? Worked just fine.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/26/15 3:44 p.m.
Will wrote: Redline MT90 is what all the cool kids put in their MR2s.

Mike Miller recommends Redline MTL in the BMW Old School Maintenance Guide. It's what's in my E46 transmission, and I have MT90 in the diff. The trans is a little balky in the very cold (as Miller states it will be) but overall it feels and sounds great at around 110k miles.

I don't use boutique engine oils, though I guess I probably should in the Manic Miata.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
3/26/15 3:54 p.m.

I know Royal Purple used to be owned by Andy Evans, who almost single handedly destroyed sports car racing back in the late '90's. We were racing in Sportscar (also owned by Evans) at the time and ended up moving on to another series after he changed the rules mid race during the 24 hour to give his own car a break.

Anyway, no direct Royal Purple experience, we used Redline exclusively in the race cars with great success. I used water wetter in my Fiats too and it also worked well, plus as mentioned, MT90 is awesome stuff!

dean1484
3/27/15 3:06 p.m.
Boost_Crazy wrote:
The issue is that the ATF from the dealer is $50 a quart!!!! I will need 9 Qts.
Which dealer? Jaguar, Land Rover, Ford, Mazda, and VW all used that transmission. For the one in the Mazda MPV I had, I found fluid at Walmart that met the spec, Valvoline I think? Worked just fine.

This was from the Jag Dealer. If I knew exactly what vehicles from Mazda (year make and model) and that it was the exact same transmission I will investigate this further. Maybe there is a much less expensive option out there. The key is full synthetic. the stuff from the jag dealer was not synthetic it is a non oil based product. Possibly mineral based? All I know is that it has a low tolerance to heat and that is what kills these things and why the x type ahs such a bad rep for trans failure. It also does not help that the "normal use" service interval is "life time" I assume they mean that it is for what ever the lifetime of the transmission is with out servicing it. the sever duty service recommendation is to change the fluids in the trans, transfer case and dif every 30K miles. To me that is normal service.

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Reader
3/27/15 5:29 p.m.

In reply to dean1484:

I missed it, did you have to repair or replace the tranny? If so, what was wrong? On the MPV and Jetta versions, many developed cracks in the reverse piston. This caused the tranny to partially engauge reverese when in higher gears, burning up the frictions in reverse and the high gears. It was a relatively easy fix, as far as transmissions go. On the MPV, I fixed it without pulling the tranny.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
3/27/15 5:36 p.m.

Truck has RP 80-90 in the rear diff. It's about time to check it again. Maybe I'll do an oil analysis on it to see. Trucks at 80k, diff fluid was changed at 28k.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/27/15 7:18 p.m.

What I'm about to offer is 70% real info and 30% anecdotal stuff. It is also old information (15 years maybe)

Of the OTC synthetics, Mobil 1 is a step above the more common synthetics like Castrol, Valvoline, etc. However, years ago when I researched this heavily, there was little to no advantage when going from M1 "up" to Redline, Purple, or Amsoil. In fact, the labs that tested the oils found no significant difference (other than modest additive changes.)

I used to sell RP and Amsoil and with my discounts it was still more expensive than M1 so I quit using it. I used to do M1 (or Castrol synthetic in a pinch) in my wife's Mercedes and Scion, but honestly I have had multiple vehicles live very long and happy lives (as much as 300k) with plain old mineral-based oil.

As far as transmissions are concerned, I the only benefit I've found with the higher-end synthetics is greater thermal stability; meaning that I don't get the cold operation characteristics like I did with mineral oils.

scottdownsouth
scottdownsouth Reader
3/27/15 8:07 p.m.

Slick50 . Word to ya mother!

dean1484
3/29/15 10:48 a.m.

Wholly you know what batman do they still make that stuff?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7ufz81UZJDWg1CDXZW0M6rZtEhWUZNd9u4NK9eZUbmv3NVX56U6ZZMAErLPp9pvM